Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Abu Dhabi – Tell me about it
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

I've seen a job advertised out there, permanent, a lot more than I earn now for the exact same role, tax free I'd assume.

The advert indicates a yearly package in addition to the basic, so hopefully re-location/living allowance is included.

Whats it like working & living out there? Whats the riding like other than desert & hot?

jam-bo

shithole in the desert.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Is that based on personal experience? Are we talking worse than Liverpool / Sheffield kind of shithole or a whole different ball game?

jam-bo

not mine but everyone I know who has worked there or joined ships from there. I've only had the pleasure of the airport.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Is this armed forces experience?

jam-bo

offshore.

headfirst
    Free Member

I thought all the Emirates were now really feeling the pinch of the recession?

iDave
    Free Member

i do some work for a co based in dubai and abu dhabi

things are tightening there with lots of expats leaving

and it's **** hot

i'd want to make sure there is decent job security

email me if you want more info

hp_source

Apparently neighbouring Dubai Television has refused permission to broadcast 'The Flintstones'.

A spokesman for the channel said:

"A claim was made that people in Dubai would not understand the humour… but we have heard that people in Abu Dhabi Do"

:groan: 😆

konabunny
    Free Member

My old man's in Dubai, has been there for years, and I've been out there lots over the past fifteen years or so. He says that everyone is nervously looking left and right, wondering if maybe the worst – which was pretty bad, considering it was a house of cards – has passed. Big companies got hit hard by the GFC but some small companies have done OK by picking up the work the big guys dropped. Rent was fearsomely expensive before the GFC and I understand it's more reasonable now. A lot of foreigners who had bought in Wimpy Homes type developments got doubly shafted – less desirable locations meant long commutes and the price cratered. Can't tell you if Abu Dhabi got hit less or more than Dubai, though.

Good side: low tax, cheap utilities and petrol, clean, low crime, some interesting people, good winter weather, good offroading prospects to an extent, interesting travel if you're into that sort of thing, plenty of eating and boozing opportunities, cheap housemaids/gardeners etc, most houses are new and pretty well-equipped, can watch UK TV if you can get a good proxy to work.

Bad side: bad and dangerous traffic, horrible summer weather, modern day slavery, need car for each adult, bad job security (foreigners have a very limited time to pack up and leave if they lose their jobs), pay for private schools, poorly developed health+safety enforcement, shonky and sharp business practices (kickbacks etc) are common, poorly developed courts etc, offroading ruined by dickheads tearing up wadis without considering whether there's anyone else there and dumping shit all over the desert.

Dubai is usually preferred by foreigners over Abu Dhabi – just a bit more relaxed and happening. Personally, I would have worked in Dubai if I was young and single (cheap cars, plenty of boozing and plenty of other young singles) or older with young kids (the schools can be good and you can bring them up bilingual English and Arabic/French/German/Farsi/whatever), but right now…naah. I'm assuming you're a bloke too.

In summary: it's not ideal but really it's what you yourself make of it. Also – don't rely on secondhand opinions of people who have never been there (which is probably true of anywhere come to think of it). And ask for the employer to pay for flight out and interview.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Abu Dhabi – Tell me about it’ is closed to new replies.