Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Abu Dhabi
  • deep_river
    Free Member

I have an interview with my current company to take up an 18 month job in Abu Dhabi. I am thinking about a full family move out there. It is all expenses paid, so money not the Issue.

Has anyone ever lived in Abu D, Dubai or the UAE? What are your experiences of it?

Ta

MrTall
    Free Member

Went there many years ago. All i remember is how hot it was. 48 degrees if i recall. The british club had a refridgerated swimming pool and getting into the sea to cool down was like getting into a warm bath. Not pleasant.

Also the locals treated the hired help terribly (mostly from the Phillipines i think). Very much a society of the haves and the have nots.

But, if the moneys good it may well be an interesting experience.

Oh, and the food was really nice.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Best mate is in Dubai for a fixed term contract. I’ve only ever spent a few days there. Main problem for mate is that his wife cant / isnt allowed do anything apart from have kids or shop. No work etc.

Also the ex-pat commununity (at least in his compound) is very cliquey and it does their heads in. He works as an engineer in construction and most of the bod’s on his sites are Indian nationals who get treated really really badly – accidents are common. The temp never officially reaches 50 degrees – cause then all manual labourers are allowed the day off.

He’s biding his time. Cant wait to leave and spend his new found wealth!

I think it’s like working off shore – just do it for the cash and shut up about the downsides.

markenduro
    Free Member

Worked in AD for a couple of months in 97. It’s hot, dusty and they have done some mental building projects with the money they had. At the time, all of the hotels had bars and security on the doors to keep the locals out of them to stop them drinking. Local population was reasonably friendly but did absolutely nothing for themselves, all work was done by hired in foreigners…
    All in, a weird couple of months and not sure I would want to actually live there, but it might have changed for the better since then.

deep_river
    Free Member

cheers all

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Abu Dhabi’ is closed to new replies.