Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • About to push the button on an Exposure Joystick – is it the best choice?
  • the00
    Free Member

Hi. I’m after a single light that can be easily swapped between bikes and helmets, and is powerful enough for off road use. I’m sure the joystick will be bright enough as my first night riding forrays were using a 10w halogen. The only thing pitting me off the joystick is the possibly narrow beam pattern. Any other suggestions?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

I originally bought a Joystick to go with my MaxxD but found it got lost in the light from the MaxxD. Swapped it for a Diablo and found that much better than the Joystick, much brighter with a better spread of light.

I’d personally go for a Diablo over a Joystick, you could pick up a bar mount too if you wanted it on the bars.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Pushing the button turns the light on and off. You won’t be able to do that until you’ve purchased one.

bowglie

I got a Joystick Mk10 for Crimbo, so apart from a quick go up and down the road, I haven’t used it properly (I.e. Off road). However, I’m really impressed with the beam pattern – good spread with enough light in the middle to see detail, but not a hard focussed spot. It’s a massive improvement on my old Hope HID, but I think it’d need a supplementary light on the bars for proper technical off road use (fine on its own on moderate trails though I reckon).

andyjh

Personally I found the Diablo a better match to something bright like the Maxx-D also. Bit more cash obviously though.

mattbee

The newest Joystick has a less focussed beam than older models.
    Wife uses one for commuting on bars & on head combined with a Maxx D off road.

the00
    Free Member

Just been looking at choices from MTB Batteries, but I think I want an all in one unit.

bowglie

A pal has a twin LED MTB batteries one (Luminator?) and it’s very good for the money….and UK made. The light unit only weighs about the same as a Joystick, but as I guess you’ve spotted, it’s a sperate battery job. however, I think the Luminator belts out over double the lumens of the Joystick for much longer time on full power. My pal has ridden full on tech descents in the Peak with just the Lumentor on its own (but he does now also use a bar light as well, to get more shadow detail)

StirlingCrispin

Just bought a Diablo.

I run a MTB batteries Lumenator on the bars (2000 lumen – and an excellent bit of kit). Decided the light output of the Diablo (1300 lumen) over the Joystick (800 lumen) was worth the extra money. My previous helmet lamp was a MTB batteries 800 Lumen – very good but I found the extra battery pack a faff and a bit too heavy.

http://www.southdownsbikes.com/ were doing some superb deals. I got a Diablo for £144 while the Joystick was down to just £90 last week (including the 10% discount if you sign up for the newsletter).

bowglie

Wow SC, those prices are very good! Ta for sharing:)

slimjim78
    Free Member

Diablo is much better all round, stretch if you can

richen987
    Free Member

As an alternative,
    I have been using a Four4th Scorch for the last year or so, brilliant all in one helmet light, green LEDs give a nice light that’s not too taxing on the eyes, helmet or bar mount.

Four4th Scorch Light

Works really well with a bright bar light or on it’s own in not too tight woods.
    It’s about the same price as a Diablo at £135.
    Cracking light and a really nice company to deal with.

zippykona

Have a mk10 and it is just about enough for off road on it’s own.
    Weight was the most important thing for me as I really noticed my old light this year.
    Still can’t get used to the double press to turn it on though.

adsh
    Free Member

I have a Joystick (old) and a new Diablo. The Diablo is better off road but I find the additional weight quite uncormfortable. The Joystick I barely notice.

divenwob
    Free Member
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘About to push the button on an Exposure Joystick – is it the best choice?’ is closed to new replies.