Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • about to order a inbred summer season.
  • crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

quick questions before i make the purchase.
    how long does it take them to ship the bikes?
    im buying a 16 inch frame… im 5'9 and want to ride all day and want to take it down downhill tracks…etc…its gonna be an all mountain bike…will the frame the best size? im on the boreder line with thier sizing guide

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'm 5'7 and have a 16" 456SE but my legs are long-ish. Perfect bike, especially for the money. 18" might be too long.

ton

blue pig is nicer.
    i have had both………. 8)

SeanOrange
    Free Member

I'm about 5'10 and got the 16". Seems just right although seat is quite far back on rails, running 70mm stem.
    I got mine on the Wed or thurs after ordering Friday I think.
    Don't forget your seat clamp too.
    Guess its an excuse to post this:

beb

agree, a 16 should be spot on. I'm 5'10", ride a 16 456 ss with 50mm stem for almost all of my riding, from long xc days to messing about on local steep techy stuff. Its a wicked bike, bought a year ago when they first came out to stop my blur 4x bearings getting murdered over the winter and ended up selling the blur frame cos I was having so much fun on the ss. Do use the u-turn on the pikes a bit, the head angle is too slack with the forks at 140mm for steep climbs but its worth it to have it choppered out for the dh's. If you're worried about not getting enough xc-stretch then perhaps the standard 456 would be a better bet. Sounds like you want the ss, so should go with the smaller one for a more chuckable bike. Long answer to a short question!

Oh, and can't remember how long it took to ship, prob less than a week. Thats a question best asked to on-one I reckon.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

yeah ill guess ill phone in the morning and ask. i have 6 inch forks aswell…i guess they will work on the summer season aswell as the usual inbred?

Northwind

I'd go 16" there as well, nearly did in fact. I was planning to use it to get decent slackness from shorter forks, it does seem like it'll be seriously raked out with 6" in the front though.

(On One's sizing guides aren't the best IMO, "Sure, you'll be fine on a 16" Scandal", no I won't, I couldn't see the top tube from the end of the broomstick-seatpost I needed with it, there were clouds in the way)

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

so maybe a normal frame?

beb

yeah, i wouldn't put anything much longer than 140mm forks on there, its pretty slack with those, i think it might be a bit silly with 160mm's. maybe a ragley would be better if you want to run longer forks…? any thoughts ton?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

im trying to biuld a cheep as chips bike here…hense the reason for an inbred at the price of 125 quid…
    they are 150mm travel 06 drop offs

beb

quick google search… drops off's 538mm axle to crown, pikes 518mm

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5394

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/08_RockShox_Axle2Crown.pdf

on-one reckon a degree slacker per inch fork travel, so this means the SS will go from 66.6 deg with pikes to at least 66 deg, or a bit slacker, with the drop offs…might be a bit too wandery on the climbs, maybe should consider teh standard one if you're going to keep your forks esp. if your forks don't have travel adjust.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

ok…i might do that then…i could shorten the travel on the forks…i think it would be 65.8-9 degrees.

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have just built a 456 16" for xc use and the fit is perfect but I am using a 400mm seatpost because a 350mm is too short

btw fantastic bikes

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i just bought it…

matthewlhome
    Free Member

i'm 5'10'' and have a 16in Summer season and an 18" slot dropout singlespeed.

Wouldnt want to have the summer season bigger, but am probably at the upper size limit for it (v little post left). I did intentionally get a smaller size though for chucking about etc.

Nice and slack with 100mm rebas on it, but it definitely wants a longer fork on 🙄

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Mine took about 2-3 days to arrive.
    As said above, they're best with a 140mm fork or preferably less IMO, I think a 120mm-130mm travel fork would be ideal. The original idea behind the Summer was to give a slacker head angle for people running shorter travel forks.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

that's why i got the SS rather than the normal one. I only had 100mm forks on the donor bike so thought i would risk it. Was a great gamble – love the way it handles. It gives a nice contrast to my singlespeed inbred. Feels like it wants to be bashed into stuff, jump over it and rip around it. I dont think its any faster than the other bike, just feels different.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

yeah..i read the info about it…im gonna see how it goes and maybe shorten or get some shorter forks for it.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘about to order a inbred summer season.’ is closed to new replies.