Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Abandoning an oldish on-one in Europe?
  • dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Story is my dad has been riding across France, from St malo, Nantes, following the loire, then across germany, and has come to a stop at passau near Austria / Czech Republic. Carrying tent and all he needs. But with horrendous weather all trip he’s decided to come home.

Plan was to get a train back but with everyone panicking due to Danube flooding he either waits 10days for a space with his bike or he’s considering abandoning the bike (but keep tent and belongings) . Anyone got other ideas?

It’s not an amazing spec – brown with non replaceable hanger, some old fox 130mm floats. Was wondering if a bike shop would throw a few euros in his direction for it?

bruk

Bike shop may give him a few euro for it but not anywhere near its worth. What about posting it back? No hurry for it then could be reasonable price.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Price of posting bikes is horrendous though isn’t it? The way my mum explained it, it sounded like he was going to leave it by the side of a road!

cakefacesmallblock

Get to a Fedex or DHL office maybe ? Could probably get a box at a bike shop ?

ratherbeintobago

Price of posting bikes is horrendous though isn’t it?

Maybe, but Deutsche/Österreichische Post are likely to be cheaper than Royal Mail, especially if there’s no rush to get it back to the UK.

leadbasher
    Free Member

Strip it down and just leave the frame

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Lol leadbasher. You win.

shifter
    Free Member

Fly out and ride it back!

juan
    Free Member

well if your dad was on the more southern part of europe I would take it of his hands

geoffj

Can he not buy a bike bag locally and put it on the train as luggage?
    Or, as has already been suggested, get a bike shop to box it up and ship it home – it should be less than €100.

earl_brutus

Put it outside a church or orphange with a sign on it that says ‘FREE’

Northwind

Attach it to a railing with a cheap cable lock, it’ll be gone in seconds.

Or- leadbasher is right. Strip it down, bring home easily portable parts as hand luggage.

psling
    Free Member

I’m guessing he’s fed-up/had enough/wants to get home.

He should either get into cheap b&b for a couple of days, park the bike up in the room and find a good cafe and book to read to give his head a chance to clear OR get on a train with the bike to any destination available just for a change of scenery to continue his journey.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Psling hit the nail on the head

falkirk-mark

I would bin it an on one and fox forks that have been round europe (is any anodising still on them). Or he could give it to someone he doesn’t like.

dantsw13

If be can get it anywhere near Morzine Ill bring it back to the UK in 3 weeks.

brant
    Free Member

Where is it. Lets see if we can get it home for him.

crikey
    Free Member

He should hide it in some woods, then STW and On-One could arrange some kind of fancy dress treasure hunt rescue mission.

petrieboy

Wheels, bars and saddle off, bung it in a bin bag wrap in brown tape and bingo – its luggage. No need for boxes or postage (he is still getting a train not flying??)

MSP

Attach it to a railing with a cheap cable lock, it’ll be gone in seconds.

He is in Germany, he could go back in 5 years and it would still be there, if he’s unlucky someone might have put a sign on it asking nicely for it’s removal.

richardk
    Free Member

Dirt biker – tell him that’s a good excuse to get a 29er like all his riding buddies 🙂

Seriously – I’ve just realised I know your Dad. That bike isn’t in bad condition, he’s kicked my ass on it before. I’d get it posted back as cheaply and slowly as possible, if he wants to sell, then he’ll probably get more in the UK for it.

Good luck to him getting back – drop me an email and let me know how he’s getting on.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Forks and anything of value stripped off and chuck the frame in a skip, it’s not like it has any value and certainly not worth the postage.

Bregante

He should hide it in some woods, then STW and On-One could arrange some kind of fancy dress treasure hunt rescue mission.

Is that hora in the Stetson?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

Right then update time. IT’S ALL OK! After checking into a hotel and calming down (hard to do when half the hotels in the town are flooded – http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22746889 )
    He’s managed to get a train out to Paris on tuesday. And I’m about to book a eurostar seat for him from Paris to London with bike. So, unfortunately for you lot, it’s not as dramatic as it could have been but thanks for all the ideas – i need to post a frame to Germany so I’ve picked up some useful tips too!
    Richardk – if he beats you on that imagine what he could do on a 29er 😉

takisawa2

Too late. 🙂

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Abandoning an oldish on-one in Europe?’ is closed to new replies.