Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Abandoned road in the Peak District is a hit with mountain bikers … apparently
  • jekkyl

The A625 in Derbyshire – apologies for the daily fail link but…. are any of those pictured stwers? looks great, will have to get myself up there.

Abandoned half-mile stretch of asphalt in the Peak District is a hit with mountain bikers after landslides twist it beyond recognition

jekkyl

the biker pictured is a Pete Tye & his son Jonathan, is this you? good moves.

uwe-r
    Free Member

6th comment down =

Given the current rate of spending on UK roads – in a few years time, most roads will look like that.

Classic.

IHN

looks great, will have to get myself up there.

I wouldn’t make a special trip just for that…

It is however slap-bang in the middle of lots of other good stuff.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

6th comment down =

Given the current rate of spending on UK roads – in a few years time, most roads will look like that.
    Classic.

Would that no just be fantastic! 😀

Northwind

Did I not see a video of a mass-start mate’s race down that a while back? Looked pretty fun…

higgo
    Free Member

Made-up story. I know this place well and have never seen a cyclist there.
    Mark , Huddersfield, 05/3/2013 08:49

Horacek?

globalti
    Free Member

Yawn….. people have been walking, cycling and Land-Rovering that bit of road for years, what’s so new about it?

binners

Just the 9ft drop? Pfft!

😯

globalti – will you be still going there when it’s all fields? 😆

uwe-r
    Free Member

Its not actually a great route back down into Castelton from Mam Tor, most routes would come down Winnats .

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Did I not see a video of a mass-start mate’s race down that a while back? Looked pretty fun…

thisissheffield.co.uk

Its not actually a great route back down into Castelton from Mam Tor, most routes would come down Winnats .

???? Winnats?

Cavedale is the only way to go! Pindale is an acceptable alternative as long as you then ride back upto the top and ride Cavedale as well.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

any reason this has hit the news today?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Sorry spoon, you are right but you know what i mean.

jam-bo

Endo and a huck to flat. Is it the 90’s again?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

That road was the uci’s principal sponsor last year – but it collapsed….

Rocky roads… Igmc

portlyone

I’ve only ever ridden up it, not the funnest way to go I imagine!

crazy-legs

It’s been like that for 30 years and I remember the first time I rode it in 1993. Been up and down it on foot and on road, MTB & CX bikes hundreds of times since. Aside from the rather large jump near the top, it’s all doable on a road bike – hardly thrill a minute stuff.

How come the Daily Wail has decided to run an article about it now?

shortcut

Really doesn’t qualify as news.

IHN

The last time I rode down it, which was about 15 years ago, a dog ran across the road; I managed to avoid it but I nearly fell off.

True story.

mt
    Free Member

I have been up and down in a Bedford Dormobile and a Morris Traveller (half timbered car).

Going up on a bike is great and on of the best ways out of Castleton.
    I like the ride past the Odin mine entrance as it reminds me that I once was young enough to do O level geography field trips.

jekkyl

It was news to me but I’ve nevered cycled over that way.

teamslug
    Free Member

Rode up there on Sunday morning. Its not that exciting.Nice leg warmer to start ride though. Chapel Gate is a bit more exciting….

AndyPaice
    Free Member

This is what landing the drop looks like 😉 (not me btw)

kev by subZero rider, on Flickr

mt
    Free Member

wow gravity action, look at the sag on that belly.

Pook

[video]http://vimeo.com/29555115[/video]

This road should be shut off from all access – it looks dangerous and the cyclists will hurt themselves if they fall
    – adam, london, 4/3/2013 23:14

😀

AndyPaice
    Free Member

he’s keeping a low centre of gravity, essential for stability 🙂

robhenry85
    Free Member

this is where i fell off, far to much speed as needed to clear the rubble at the bottom! landed it and then got spit off to the side and i skidded on the broken tarmac, yep it took skin off my arm and back 😳

the worse thing was i was going up the road and was waiting for my old man to catch up and though i’d take a ride down. fell of right in front of him 😉

mattsccm
    Free Member

Its great fun on a motorbike 😉

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Slow news day at the Mail!

Rorschach
    Free Member

I was about 3ft behind Pete at Antur Stinog when both his Scratch’s chainstays parted company at about 25mph 😯 .He’s also backlooped about 30ft above my head at rhosneigr (windsurfing).

tymbian
    Free Member

That tarmac looks 5 foot thick in places.

stavromuller
    Free Member

I remember walking down that road before Mountain bikes had been invented, I’ve got a photo of my mate in that gap when it was only two foot wide. Must have been about 81/82 ‘cos I had a beetle then and I remember driving it to the Peaks through Glossop.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m sure that huck is doable in reverse – I always look at it. Would need legs of steel for the run in though.

Anyone can huck off a drop – but there are real man-points for anyone that can prove they’ve done it going uphill 😀

dave_h
    Free Member

It’s interesting that the definition of ‘abandoned’ is now ‘closed to motor vehicles’.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Abandoned road in the Peak District is a hit with mountain bikers … apparently’ is closed to new replies.