Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Abandoned Ride over A54 near Macclesfield, Feel Unmanly
  • Duggan

I’m new to road riding and was off work today so planned a ride from South Manchester over to Buxton and then over the A537 and A54 to Congleton and then back the way I came. This would be about 70miles and 6000ft climbing which for me would be quite challenging, but not impossible I don’t think, as I’ve done close to this before.

Anyway, the ride to Buxton was great and so I set off up the A537 and A54 over to Congleton. This was OK but as soon as I got up high the visibility was awful and it started pissing it down. Plus, there was a vicious cross-wind constantly trying to blow me into the verge and shitloads of big trucks barrelling past.

It wasn’t the worst thing in the world but it did occur to me that when I would come back the same way, the cross-wind would be pushing me into the middle of the road and the path of overtaking trucks rather than the verge.

By the time I got down to Congleton the weather was fine there, but I was so concerned about the return leg I decided to sack it off. I don’t have a GPS (or smartphone) and have no idea how to get from Congleton to Manchester so got the train home, feeling quite dejected and with a heavy sense of failure.

So my question is firstly, do any local riders know this road and is it one that people avoid? Or should I just man up? Maybe the riding I’ve done already has been unusually placid?

Secondly, for any roadies, is there a particular knack to knowing which roads to avoid? Do people just religously avoid all ‘a’ roads or is it just a question of building up experience?!

Feel to free to flame away about my train journey home.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Sit tight some one will be along shortly to offer route advice. Eat something sweet.. Chocolate always helps

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

some A roads round here are fine, some are deadly, I think you’ll probably get an idea which ones to avoid on approach before you’ve even put a wheel on them

best bit of advice I can give is no road is safe, it only takes one mental driver or rider error to kill on the quietest of roads

do what you can to avoid the really dangerous ones, but don’t forget to stay on your guard when you think you’re on a safe one

oldnpastit

I’m not a roadie, but I avoid ‘A’ roads. ‘C’ roads for choice as even the ‘B’ roads can be a bit worrying.

Just come back from a few days in Mallorca – over there by law vehicles have to leave a 1.5m gap when passing cyclists! It’s awesome (except when some British plonker in a hire car cuts you up).

kcal

no flames here. As Hervey Voge (apparently) said (about mountaineering, but sense is the same) – “The mountains will always be there, the trick is to make sure you are too.”

dpfr

Give yourself a break. I suspect most of us have ‘Can’t be arsed’ days. I was near Buxton today, but off road and it was a bit windy (not kidding, it can be a lot worse up there). Oddly, I couldn’t really be bothered when I set off, but actually quite enjoyed myself. You can’t tell sometimes how you’ll feel, but if you cut a ride short, don’t beat yourself up about it. Forget it, but get back out soon. It’s meant to be fun, not some form of self-inflicted misery.

butcher

It’s meant to be fun…

Yup, if you’re not enjoying it, you’re not enjoying it. Not all rides work out as planned. Sometimes it adds to the challenge, but then there are times too when it’s sensible to re-arrange the original plan, whether that means turning back, or taking a detour.

corroded
    Free Member

I think this sort of route-finding problem is resolved mainly by trial and error, perhaps tagging along on local club rides (or at least checking out where more experienced roadies go). It’s taken me years to get to know my area, to the extent that I can find my way home on quiet rides wherever I end up within a 50 mile radius (which is quite a pleasing knack).

br
    Free Member

By the time I got down to Congleton the weather was fine there, but I was so concerned about the return leg I decided to sack it off. I don’t have a GPS (or smartphone) and have no idea how to get from Congleton to Manchester so got the train home, feeling quite dejected and with a heavy sense of failure.

A map might have helped…

Stainypants

I live in Macclesfield and ride the roads both around Buxton and Congelton every week I never go on the A54 after Wildboarclough its grim. There are plenty of quiet ways to get to between Buxton and Congleton and back to Manchester, i ride the Cat and Fiddle every week and actually despite its reputation it far safer than some of the “quiet” roads. Last week I was 2 inches away from being killed on the old buxton road mountain biking upto the the cat and fiddle.

Duggan

A map might have helped…

Clearly, but that wasn’t really the issue tbf- my sense of unmanliness comes from not following the route I had planned, I still would have felt this even if I’d been able to pedal the flat route back to Manchester through Cheshire

philipft
    Free Member

Duggan, there is a couple of groups of riders go out from Aldeli in Alderley Edge at 9;15 on a Sunday morning, tag along with them and they will show you all the quite and safer routes round that part of the peaks. Just rock up at Aldeli at that time and ask for Billy.

nick1962
    Free Member

I would never have done that and would have rode home.Only because I don’t take any money out with me 😉

gonetothehills
    Free Member

That ‘descent’ from the other side of the Cat to Bosley crossroads (on the way to Congleton) has a surprising amount of climbing on it and yes, there are plenty nicer ways to enjoy that part of the Peak. I really wouldn’t beat yourself up about the route change – it’s just one of those things. Happens to me all the time, but in terms of route planning, have a look at google maps with the view switched to ‘bicycling’.

Also, look on Sustrans or an OS map and you’ll see suggested routes (as in quieter, more cycling friendly roads) on there – I’ve found that they’re vastly more likely to be what you’d want to spend your time riding on, but if you’re on a ‘proper’ road bike, just be doubly sure you’re not being sent down a track or gravel road…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Abandoned Ride over A54 near Macclesfield, Feel Unmanly’ is closed to new replies.