Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)
  • Aaron Gwyn
  • Coyote
    Free Member

Gwin’s run was nothing short of awesome. However for sheer entertainment, style and class CG reigns supreme.

The ladies DH was real quality entertainment too, right to the wire with Tracy, Rachel and Floriane putting in absolutely stonking runs.

Congratulations to all the riders and thanks for a series that is turning out to be top drawer!

chvck
    Free Member

Gotta feel for Needles….3 good quali’s,3 dnf’s.Comes across as as really nice lad aswell.

He’s in my fantasy team too! Really does suck for him though, hopefully he’ll get a good result soon.

Northwind

Coyote – Member

However for sheer entertainment, style and class CG reigns supreme.

Entertainment, yes. Style, yes. Class? Not so much :mrgreen:

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Gwin, Hart, Pugin, Cole.

Wish I’d done fantasy legue with just years Team again.

Cant wait to watch the races at home on a decent connection / sky+

jimjam
    Free Member

nickegg
    I’m so fed up of the hype that the likes of Fairclough and Hill attract. I thinks Hill’s days at the top are no more (his gold at the worlds last year was an exception), now that others have stepped things up that little bit more.

Hill and Fairclough attract hype because they are undoubtedly two of the fastest, most talented and stylish bike riders in the world. In Brendan’s case probably the most talented rider on the circuit. Hill is coming off an injury and Fairclough is riding without an acl. Sam’s injury put him out for a whole season, and Brendan’s has basically has ruined this, and possibly next season for him.

I think Hill is struggling to strike a balance between riding as fast as he can and not destroying himself and I really feel that his current results are more indicative of how much he has gone off the boil, not how much his opponents have improved. As for Fairclough, if he could combine conditioning and a good mental game with his natural talent he could be unbeatable.

nonk
    Free Member

I think Hill is struggling to strike a balance between riding as fast as he can and not destroying himself

farly far up the list of things that you need to be able to though eh?

jimjam
    Free Member

nonk

farly far up the list of things that you need to be able to though eh?

For sure, I think that’s what Gee and Greg are masters of. Time will tell if Gwinn is riding at his limit or within.

Diane
    Free Member

Well wasn’t it exciting! Proper shouting at the telly stuff 😀

Gwinn being so far up at the first split was amazing.

What’s CG like?! Gets fitter, stops the 4X then just can’t help himself – wonder how much time it cost him – great to see though 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

Styling it up can’t cost that much time can it? He would be in the air anyway so why not?

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

I realise what Gwin did yesterday was pretty amazing but what’s with all this ‘unstoppable’ talk all of a sudden? Has everyone forgotton that only 1 week ago he didn’t win?

nickegg
    Free Member

Thanks Jimjam….well aware of all that.

When i got into bikes about 5 years ago, Sam Hil was just starting his reign if you like. Since ‘that’ crash at the 2008 Worlds in Val di Sole he has slowly lost his way i feel. His 2010 Gold at the worlds was more down to a change in track conditions then a huge winning margin.

I don’t doubt Faircloughs talents either, and have witnessed them first hand at Champery last year. But if you can’t put it all together for a race run what’s the point? They’re paid to win, not style it up for the crowds!

The split times yesterday for the last 3 down was incredible, i jumped out of my chair when Gwin’s first split came up!!!!

chakaping
    Free Member

What an amazing race.

Felt a bit sorry for poor Gee, he must have thought he had the win after beating Greg by such a big margin. It’s great to have another rider up there mixing it in the top five though.

I certainly wouldn’t write Hill off just yet. He looked so smooth and fast yesterday on the bits we saw.

PeteG55
    Free Member

Its great to have Gwin up there challenging Gee and Greg. I hope he can keep the consistency up.
    I certainly wouldn’t write Hill off just yet, but he has said before that he puts more value on World Champs than the World Cup. On that basis, I’d say he’s playing it safe with a view to the World Champs this year being on the kind of track that has his name written all over it.
    Gutted for Brendog this year, he’s taken his training up a level over the winter and was looking super quick, just had an unlucky crash at SA. I hope I’m wrong, but I think that has as good as written his season off.
    Danny Hart has stepped it up big time, always looks like he’s on the verge of the biggest crash ever. Lets hope it never happens.
    There’s also a whole load of super talented riders waiting to upset the podium, just like Brook last weekend.
    Its shaping up to be an amazing season and I can’t wait to see the rest of the season.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

When i got into bikes about 5 years ago, Sam Hil was just starting his reign if you like. Since ‘that’ crash at the 2008 Worlds in Val di Sole he has slowly lost his way i feel.

Really?

2009 World Cup overall winner. Only time he wasn’t on the podium was the huge crash at Vallnord. If that’s losing your way he should try it more often!

2010 was a write off due to the Fort William incident. He’s had 2 pretty massive crashes in the last 2 seasons, one of which he was very lucky to get away with. He’s probably still finding his feet at World Cup race pace with a certain amount of apprehension.

Makes me sound like a fan boy, funnily enough I don’t really like him as a rider, but that was some serious rubbish being spouted.

I don’t doubt Faircloughs talents either, and have witnessed them first hand at Champery last year. But if you can’t put it all together for a race run what’s the point? They’re paid to win, not style it up for the crowds!

Actually, you’re paid to promote the product, winning is just part of that. Otherwise the likes of Gracia would be out the back door based on the last few years of results alone. It’s not just about the winning.

GW
    Free Member

ton – Member

if he had not been stylin it gracia would have won i reckon. You reckon one little tabletop over a stepdown lost CG 9.3sec? 😯

Hobnob – Gracia is on his own team, he can do whatever he likes really..

slowuphill
    Free Member

Just got back from Leogang, Has a long weekend there. Never seen a downhill before but must have been one of the best live sporting events I have seen. From the qualifying to the final great entertainment. Going to watch the freecaster coverage now for some of Rob Warners gems…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Hobnob – Gracia is on his own team, he can do whatever he likes really

Indeed he is – but he’s not doing it for free is he?

Good exposure, bit of flair gets people talking + keeps sponsors happy.

Bit like Wyn Masters. He’s never going to win anything, but he gets great exposure.

chakaping
    Free Member

Forgot to mention Barel’s crash and re-mount on the steep rooty bit. Incredible stuff!

It really looked like he didn’t let go of the bar the whole time.

Going to watch the freecaster coverage now for some of Rob Warners gems

Not quite sure if it was a vinatge week or if he was trying a bit too hard. Laughed anyway though.

ianv
    Free Member

I wonder how much of Gwin’s transformation is due to off season training and how much is due to the fact he is now riding a decent bike.

jimjam
    Free Member

ianv

I wonder how much of Gwin’s transformation is due to off season training and how much is due to the fact he is now riding a decent bike.

I’d guess that his recent success is a combination of training/improved training and the support that the biggest team on the circuit provides. He appears to have bulked up a bit, his fitness is obviously there and Trek have made no secret about their desire to approach every facet of DH racing in as professional a manner possible.

I would say the bike, the actual frame, accounts for very little if any difference.

GW
    Free Member

comparing Gracia to Wyn Masters? 😕

WTF? How long have you been following DH racing?
    CG is getting towards the end of a very long and successful racing career, he’s done it all (BMX, 4X, Dual, DS, freeride, slopestyle etc.) and won a fair amount of events/titles. He’ll have made a lot of money during his career and seems to have been clever with it. Wyn’s a decent DH rider but just a pikey privateer racer (albeit riding for a Team) making up the numbers at the WCs in comparison (so far).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Where would Ragot have finished if she hadn’t been DQ’d?

ianv
    Free Member

I’d guess that his recent success is a combination of training/improved training and the support that the biggest team on the circuit provides. He appears to have bulked up a bit, his fitness is obviously there and Trek have made no secret about their desire to approach every facet of DH racing in as professional a manner possible.

But Atherton racing/red bull are not exactly a bunch of amateurs and you can be sure Gee worked pretty hard over the winter as well so I find it hard to imagine that Gwin’s training was so much more effective that he went from podium chasing to domination in 6 months or so. There must be some element of him now being able to show his true potential on a bike that works.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The Johnny T factor…?

jimjam
    Free Member

ianv

But Atherton racing/red bull are not exactly a bunch of amateurs and you can be sure Gee worked pretty hard over the winter as well so I find it hard to imagine that Gwin’s training was so much more effective that he went from podium chasing to domination in 6 months or so.

The Athertons aren’t exactly amateurs but Commencal are a tiny brand compared to Trek. Trek are on a mission to dominate every form of cycling, not just downhill and they probably have athlete development programes that span multiple disciplines which will give riders access to things that others simply couldn’t afford.

My guess is what we are seeing with Gwin is raw bike handling talent and supreme conditioning and the right mind set. It’s widely reported that he’s been working with Tomac, but he’s also been training with Ryan Hughes, an elite MX rider and strength/conditioning coach. If you don’t already know, top motox racers are considered to be some of the fittest strongest athletes on the planet, the fact that Eli Tomac is on the rise in MX may not be a coincidence either. So, not only is there support and depth around him at team level but also individuals with serious relevant, proven bike specific training and experience. I don’t actually think Gwin is a technically better rider than Gee, Greg, Sam or others but I think he’s mentally and physically “in the zone”.

ianv

There must be some element of him now being able to show his true potential on a bike that works.

In your opinion what difference is there going to be between a Fox (factory) suspended rocker driven single pivot and a Fox (factory) suspended rocker driven single pivot with concentric pivot around the rear axle?

chakaping
    Free Member

I find it hard to imagine that Gwin’s training was so much more effective that he went from podium chasing to domination in 6 months or so. There must be some element of him now being able to show his true potential on a bike that works.

Personally I’d suspect the bike had a tiny bit to do with it, but this is only his third year of riding WC DH isn’t it?

Much more about him just hitting his stride with the assistance of a more comprehensive training programme and better back-up I reckon.

bluebird
    Free Member

podium chasing to domination

Let’s get this in perspective he’s won 2 races out of 3, and if my memory serves me correctly in the one the didn’t win he was up at the split, so he obviously messed something up big time in that run. Gwin’s a very, very good rider but let’s wait until he’s won more than a couple of races before we crown him the new king of DH racing.

martinh
    Free Member

In Leogang the difference between Gee and Gwin could easily have been the tyre choice – wet vs dry

alex222
    Free Member

maybe one of the multiple disciplines includes Lance showing him methods of avoiding beign caught when doping the blood? 😀

nickegg
    Free Member

Thanks Hob Nob….glad to see you think my opinion is rubbish!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Gwin’s margins and Danny Hart’s terrifyingly loose style are making this season much more interesting than in previous years. I’d like to see more riders like Gracia though, there’s been a real lack of Stella stickers, gold Lame, Cadillac tattoos and dead piranhas in recent years.

Coyote
    Free Member

Agree with Oliver.

GW
    Free Member

In Leogang the difference between Gee and Gwin could easily have been the tyre choice – wet vs dry

(assuming you know Gee was on spikes) The split times would certainly agree with your theory.
    Gwin was 2sec up at the first split (with that long pedally/jumpy section), then 1sec up on the next section and losing 1/2 a sec on the final split (more technical and possibly still pretty wet in the trees).
    Although it takes massive confidence to run dry tyres when your competitors still reckon a spike has the edge, Gwin pulled off the same slippy inside line where only a few minutes previously Barel landed on his arse using spikes.
    DH is way more about confidence than what bike (or tyres – remember Hills ride at Champers?) you’re on.
    but having said that, way back when Dave Weagle first tested the IH Sunday with Hill and Atkinson they reported a massive 7sec improvement in times coming from the previous SGS DH bike (which incidently from suspension system/design and geometry is not all that far off Hills current bike, make of that what you will 8) )

chakaping
    Free Member

Gee said he wished he’d gone with dry tyres in a post-match interview. It’s a really good watch actually, Gee and Greg seem genuninely stumped…
    http://dirt.mpora.com/news/dirttvleogang-world-cup-finals-chit-chat-2011.html

Gwin is pretty relaxed about it all – can’t help but like him. He doesn’t even use the word “stoked” IIRC.

jimjam
    Free Member

GW
    but having said that, way back when Dave Weagle first tested the IH Sunday with Hill and Atkinson they reported a massive 7sec improvement in times coming from the previous SGS DH bike (which incidently from suspension system/design and geometry is not all that far off Hills current bike, make of that what you will )

And when they tested the demo they said the same thing. And when the Athertons tested the previous (not latest) version of the supreme they reported a ten second improvement on a two minute track, and when Santa Cruz tested the carbon V-10 they were making all sorts of outlandish claims. Then again if Dave Weagle was involved it must be true 🙄

As for saying an SGS is “not far off Hill’s current bike” just because it had an FSR linkage, well that’s a poor troll if ever I saw one.

chakaping

Gwin – can’t help but like him. He doesn’t even use the word “stoked” IIRC. I guarantee he does.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not as much as Gee then.

jimjam
    Free Member

chakaping

Not as much as Gee then.

Gee would be stoked to know that.

Viewing 37 posts - 41 through 77 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Aaron Gwyn’ is closed to new replies.