Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Aargh! Trying to pack to go cycle touring …
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Normally not a problem – have a fairly lightweight approach and the focus is usually on (a) stuff needed for biking, and (b) something to wear in the pub that’s not lycra.

But this time I’m trying to pack for a cycle tour round various family members, friends, and then going straight to some working meetings – so currently contemplating trying to fit in:

– climbing stuff cos my brother fancies going to do that
    – something smartish as I want to take my mum out for dinner
    – waterproof / dog proof stuff as I’m going to spend a day doing dog agility with my sister
    – something suitable for work (cos I can’t sit in a meeting in my shorts!)

Am currently staring at a pile of stuff that even if I manage to cram it into my panniers will ensure that I’ll ride a the speed of a snail (which is rather unfortunate as I have a 100 miles to do on one day …)

So – any minimising suggestions? Have looked at the bikepacking thread, but not sure if advice on bivi kit is really of use to me right now 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

post the specific kit to the people you are staying with for that activity.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Zip off trousers and a Craghoppers or similar shirt takes care of most of the clothing needs! 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The work and taking your mum to dinner outfit will need to be the same thing.

EDIT: Avoid zip-off trousers if you want to look anywhere near presentable. 🙂

gusamc
    Free Member

what size are your mum/bro/sis – ie can you borrow stuff
    work – leave clothes there day before

Sue_W
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips guys

TJ – if had the sense to think in advance I would have done that, but I’m leaving in an hour!

Getting ruthless now, so yup, dinner with mum and work meeting are the same, brothers wife is as titchy as me so can borrow her climbing stuff and just have to pack my climbing shoes, and am going to avail myself of my family’s washing machines …

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Just buy stuffs when you get there, innit? 😀

Wunundred miles in one day? 😮 From where to where?

Sue_W
    Free Member

I have an aversion to shopping!

100 miles is betwen little village in bedforshire and even smaller village in Norfolk – never ridden that far in one day before – does it count if it’s somewhere that flat???

anyway, packed, ready to go, and it’s pissing it down 🙁

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

never ridden that far in one day before – does it count if it’s somewhere that flat???

It’s a Wunundred Sue. It always counts.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Aargh! Trying to pack to go cycle touring …’ is closed to new replies.