Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Aargh! Obsessed with getting a fat bike – tell me I am mad!
  • big_scot_nanny

I have a NP Mega for my alpine trips and it is great.

I have a cross bike for commuting, fire road and some singletrack action for a fast blast (love it!).

I have a Krampus that I sold the FS 29er, and stripped the HT 29er to build – I love it, most used bike. (even with freak H-bars – love them!)

But now I am obsessed with a Fat Bike, particularly the carbon beargrease. To the point where I would like to ride PPdS on it this year.

Madness! 🙄

But it will not leave my head, and it would render the Krampus useless, and is likely not the best in either proper winter slop conditions, and not the best for summer dusty and and and,

and yet….

maybe I should just grow a beard for a while first? 😐

Teetosugars
    Free Member

and is likely not the best in either proper winter slop conditions

Quite the opposite, they are fantastic in the winter condtions… you can’t beat a Nate as a winter Tyre..

and not the best for summer dusty and and and

Maybe not, but I guarantee you’ll have big smile on yor face while riding in these condtions..

I’ve a 9:Zero:7 that I’m thinking of selling.

To buy a Beargrease.

Having seen the one Tim is building up for a friend?

I’d love one.

big_scot_nanny

Cock! (the expression, not you Teeto!) 😆

Lester
    Free Member

Hi Kev
    Beargrease does look nice 🙂

plus-one

You’re mad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 😉

eshershore
    Free Member

every morning on my 7.30am commute (30 mile round trip) I see a guy hammering through Richmond Park in London on a bright yellow fat bike, always puts a smile on my face and its a highlight of an otherwise dull commute

got me thinking 😉

akira

Love my Fatty, so much fun everywhere. Plus a whole new world of fun upgrades ahead.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I wouldn’t use one on the PPDS.

Keef
    Free Member

You only live once ….. 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Teeto- what size and 135 slidey by any chance ?

big_scot_nanny

Lester, all, thanks for support! 🙂

Al, you are of course correct, did it 4 years ago on 120mm 29er and the experience resulted in building the mega.

Ooooh, help…. Anyone know anywhere doing rolling chassis deals on a carbon salsa? 🙂

Teetosugars
    Free Member

T_R. Medium, and non slidey..

trail_rat
    Free Member

No good need large and slidy 🙁

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Speak to Tim @ Sideways then..
    He’s some lovely kit in.

flashes
    Free Member

I love my Pugsley. Just do it…..

Andy
    Northwind

I’ve definitely got the urge. Currently waging the long war on my own defences and finances. Basically it’s the downhill bike or a fatty, one in one out. Last rode the 224 in October, hmm…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cheers andy tis lovely but i already have. Sandman gobi – its a medium. It has 165 rear drops but i want 135 slidy drop outs and large. Believe only the 9zero7 can provide this.

downhilldave

Fat Carbon Sex,but I have had a couple/few Stella’s. Very nice.Quite fancy one myself but Mrs Dhd might remove my bit’s. Is it a build or a complete bike you are after. If I sell my 5 Spot I might be allowed 🙄

Karl33to
    Free Member

How do you plan on getting it on the chairlifts at the ppds?

You know, the ones where your wheel has to fit in the slot.

stanfree
    Free Member

Big Scot Nanny a mate of mine is selling a 18″ Yellow pug just now and is based in east Lothian If your interested . The frame is less than 6 months old.

yodagoat
    Free Member

Aye, thats me! It’s actually a 20 inch. Give me a shout if you’re interested.

kennyp
    Free Member

Not mad, or if you are then I am too. I want one as a winter bike even though I know it’ll only get used half a dozen times a year. Sill want one though.

What’s the current thinking on front suspension? Have it, or stay rigid?

rocketman
    Free Member

Was fat curious last year. At one point I had even added an On-one Fatty to my basket. During this time I noticed quite a few around Cannock and two things put me off:
    * the noise – those fat tyres don’t half make a racket, rumbling along like a forestry vehicle
    * they look rather silly when someone is actually riding them

imho

rankbadjin
    Free Member

Yer definately no goin mad Big Scott nanny! Had the same itch myself, fortunately it coincided with a Big old tax rebate arriving! Straight onto Charlie and a pugsley ops arrived the following week!
    Its the nuts! Find myself looking at beargreases and yampas now I know it’s for me!
    Colin, even yer old d jab isn’t getting a look in just now!
    No sure where your at BSN but if yer around fife/central yer welcome to a go,as long as ah can have a go on yer Krampus!
    Teetoosugars, that’s a nice 907, prefer yours to the overly hydro-formed current models,if it’s no standing on anyones toes could ye fire some details to acidsnowATrocketmailDOTcom, cheers.
    Yodagoat, are you Jez by any chance?

rickmeister

kenny, the tyres are most of the suspension, or have a look on Sideways Cycles, think they have Fatty Forks

Also, have a look at Yodagoats bike, he is in Winton (ace pub and pies)… near you.

40mpg

I’m currently waiting very patiently for the very first of the carbon-forked On-One Fatties to arrive on my doorstep. Fingers crossed for early Feb (and no snow before then!)

Having seen how much fun my mates are having, I think I’m missing out on something 😀

scotroutes

If I was buying now, I would only opt for a bike that would take FS as an option. Those cheap 2013 Mukluks that were on sale last week for instance….

Having said that, I’ve run my 907 for over two years now without it and it’s only very occasionally I miss it.

kennyp
    Free Member

Had a look Rick, but must resist. 20″ is too big anyway. With the Butcher in getting a full overhaul and one foreign bike trip booked with hopefully toys to follow and a few other bits of new kit just arrived I think I need to rest the credit card a bit!

Still keen to get a fat bike, but next winter at the earliest. Keep having this notion it might be fun to fat bike across bits of the Alps in the winter!

big_scot_nanny

Akshully, am fae gourock, but have lived for quite a few years in Switzerland so not local. Also 6’4″ so a 20 would be a bit wee. But thanks for the offer.

Rank, if I come back home at Easter with the krampus, you can deffo have a go! Although if I have the fat bike by then it,ll be that in the plane for sure.

Google is getting a hammering at the mo, I can tell you. That Trek Farley seems good vfm, any thoughts on that anyone?

6079smithw
    Free Member
    kennyp
    Free Member

Just been looking at the Salsa website with the Mukluks. Part of me wants to write a resignation letter, buy a fat bike and head off. Only a few years till the mortgage is paid off, only a few years…… 8)

Mantastic
    Free Member

20inch, that frame or complete for sale?

rickmeister

kenny, resignation letter ? You should have seen what I wrote to M F-R, your ex contribution manager…

kennyp
    Free Member

It obviously wasn’t bad enough Rick, I’m still at SL. Sitting tight and waiting for the next round of redundancies, daydreaming of mountains and fat bikes and, occasionally, doing a wee bit work!!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

edit. you have a krampus already

ciderinsport
    Free Member

On one fatty here! Not riding anything else 😳

8 weeks in its been run 2×10, 1×10 & ss!

2 days in the quantocks needed the 2×10!

I now want a summer fat bike… Yampa! 😉

Can I sell children to fund bikes???? 😉

big_scot_nanny

Ah, you lot are wonderful! 🙂

So, in looking around, I am looking for more of a (not manufactured) trail bike and occasional adventure/snow bike. Don’t need it to survive a nuclear holocaust, hence the Beargrease leaning. light, trailsie, fun.

Don’t want something that steers too boat like (moonlander), or is too niche, really hate sliding dropouts so would like to avoid if possible.

Thoughts other than the Beargrease? Mukluk 2014? Farley?

I fear a puglsey is a bit poverty spec and slow/heavy for a not small amount of up front input.

Kev

scotroutes

Nicolai
    Specialized
    Norco
    Ventana
    9zero7
    Genesis
    Charge

Wibble
    Free Member

@Teetosugars how much do you want for your 907? Email in profile. Ta

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Aargh! Obsessed with getting a fat bike – tell me I am mad!’ is closed to new replies.