Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • AAARRRGGGHHH Straitlines pedals maintenance (bimbo alert)
  • cinnamon_girl

OK, have the replacement bushings for these so checked out the Straitlines website and their little videos and I know what I’m supposed to do. It’s the execution that’s the problem. 😳

Poodle clip – how on earth is this supposed to be removed? Have tried using a flat blade screwdriver followed by a kitchen knife and it just won’t shift.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

As always, thank you so much. 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

What on earth is a “poodle clip”. I Googled it and apparently the internet doesn’t know either :mrgreen:

cinnamon_girl
    mikey74
    Free Member

Not much clearer lol.

Is it like a circlip?

allthepies
    Free Member

Flat blade screwdriver in the gap and twist.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

A screwdriver should do it; but it’ll need to be thin enough to fit between the poodle clip and the axle. With the screwdriver in place, pointing down the axle, just lever the poodle clip off. I’d recommend putting your thumb over the poodle clip as it’ll probably fly off and into oblivion otherwise.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Oh here we go. What’s the silly mare up to this time? 🙄

Love; give it to a feller to sort out, and get yerself back to yer sewing and baking…

X

[helpful non-patronising mode] I use a pair of suitably sized pliers to push the two ends up, then a flat blade screwdriover once you’ve opened a gap on the other side, to prise it off. Be careful it don’t ping off and become lost forever though. [/helpful non-patronising mode]

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for helpful replies. 8)

Woo and hoo – had to employ my secret weapon … what every bimbo needs … 11 piece precision screwdriver set oh yes. Mind you, that ‘hot pink’ nail varnish I so carefully applied this morning is looking decidedly messy.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You have your own 11-piece precision screwdriver set??? 😯

Did you steal it from a man?

Anna-B
    Free Member

LOL, I’m going to paint my nails later on today, but probably after I’ve de-greased and cleaned my chain and cassette! (glad you got pedals sorted)

cinnamon_girl

Well of course a woman could have designed this so much better. 🙄

Whilst a bloke might be happy spending hours faffing around in the workshop avoiding the missus, a woman simply has far too many girlie womanly chores to do.

Now how on earth am I going to rescue my poor little girlie hands and tatty nail varnish? 😀

Anna – hope you removed said chain, soaked overnight in degreaser and then scrubbed with a toothbrush? 😉

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sheesh. 🙄

Get some nitrile rubber gloves (not latex as they disintegrate with oils and degreasers and that). They give you enough feel to do fiddly things, yet keep yer hands all nice and clean. 🙂

I’m seriously unimpressed that you din’t already know this. See, you need a mayn to steer you in the right direction. You’d never cope on your own. 😉

X

cinnamon_girl

My precision screwdriver set is rather useful and, no, I bought it myself! How dare you!

Hands are nice and clean thanks to Fenwicks beaded hand cleaner, just looking a bit battered with the odd cut. Skin feels like sandpaper mind.

Where do I get those gloves from, are they disposable or reusable?

Elf – believe me no man could ever put up with me. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Here you go love, let a mayn Google that for you.

http://www.justgloves.co.uk/nitrile-gloves.aspx

🙂

(Am I being patronising and sexist enough, or should I try a bit harder?)

Nitrile gloves are good. I use mine for all sorts, including bike repairs, painting, etc.

Disposable, which isn’t good for the planet I spose. 🙁 Better for your skin though; some chemicals in bike lubricants etc are pretty nasty and not good for your skin at all. Can cause Dermatitis. Some are even carcinogenic.

cinnamon_girl

They come in pink – brilliant. 😆

Patronising and sexist? You’re just like the rest of ’em on here. 🙄

Only kidding – some of the guys are really nice and helpful with their replies, just a good job I can’t hear them sniggering!

Anna-B
    Free Member

Remove a chain to clean it? I always said that was going a bit far. Plus those power links are a bit pesky – bet they were designed by a man too 😉 I did have a toothbrush on it all though…. didn’t wear gloves and worried I have hand cancer as per elf “harbinger of grim reaper doom” insafety post.

cinnamon_girl

Anna – my lbs have been impressed with my chain cleaning! It’s actually quite therapeutic, in a rather sad way. Power links are easy to deal with when they are clean but Shimano are definitely designed by a man!

No gloves? 😯 Fancy going halves on a box of pink ones? 😉

Anna-B
    Free Member

Fancy going halves on a box of pink ones?

According to the website, the pink ones are:

ideal for tasks such as hairdressing

Not sure if that leaves us with 😯 😐 or 😥

cinnamon_girl

😆

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

elf “harbinger of grim reaper doom” insafety

🙂

The mechanics at the bike shops I worked at were ordered to wear gloves as part of the elfinsafety gawn mayd/insurance requirements. I’d say that’s probbly good really, if you’re exposed to that much grime on a daily basis.

S’just less hassle. Take gloves off, nice clean haynds.

Please don’t cry Anna. 🙁

Anna-B
    Free Member

Not cryin elf. Am therapeutically happy thinking of my nice clean chain and cassette! I will say though, my hands feel awful dry after too much contact with halfords orangery de greaser. Where’s those pink gloves….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

You do know that degreaser is pretty nasty stuff, don’t you? Even if it is meant to be ‘biodegradeable’.

It’s all nasty tbh. The less contact with it, the better.

Anna-B
    Free Member

But it smells so nice! Lesson learnt tho – gloves next time.

slowrider
    Free Member

Moisturiser and sugar mixed together for hand wash, stops them drying out and scrubs them clean too, even chain/cassette oil.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

For some reason, with any talk of haynds drying out and wearing gloves to prevent it, I’m always reminded of the bloke in I think it was The Grapes of Wrath, who kept a Vaseline filled glove on one haynd, to keep it soft for his lady. Very thoughtful, I always thought.

Was it The Grapes of Wrath? Or have I got completely the wrong book?

cinnamon_girl

Just a wee update.

Two sets of pedals now serviced. 8)

It has been a real pita but I now have a brilliant new tool – long nose pliers! How did I manage without them?

What a rock chick lifestyle I enjoy. 🙄

PS Haven’t ridden the bikes yet. 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘AAARRRGGGHHH Straitlines pedals maintenance (bimbo alert)’ is closed to new replies.