Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • AAArghhh, tubeless tyre wont inflate!
  • Jammy111
    Free Member

Explain to me why my super tacky high roller inflates fine on a stans flow with 2 wraps of stans rim tape, whereas my maxx pro wont (even with 3 wraps of tape). Ive spent ages trying with the floor pump to no avail. Just get sealant squirting out from under the bead and running down the tyre.

Do i need a compressor, or a proper tubeless tyre, or am i doing something wrong?

Cheers,
    A very sweaty james

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Try a co2 if you have it?

Otherwise go to bed!

kinda666
    Free Member

Soapy water, soapyer the better!

Not really sure if soapyer is actually a word tbh! 🙂

Northwind

Soapier is though 😉

If it's not working, take the valve out, put in a tube, inflate it until the beads seat (ideally leave overnight but it doesn't make all that much difference IMO) then carefully break the bead round just one side and remove the tube, without disturbing the other side. Then fit the valve and inflate. Basically means you're only having to fit half a tyre, though it's a total faff.

kinda666
    Free Member

Thanks for that northwind 😳

Northwind

I are grammar nazi.

kinda666
    Free Member

I R Baboon 😀

Jammy111
    Free Member

nice idea northwind, but no luck 🙁 looks like ill be buying a co2 compressor. Any recommendations?

coffeeking
    Free Member

Just take it to a garage and use the tyre inflator. Or buy one from Aldi for £49

Jammy111
    Free Member

just been to the garage, no luck there either. it inflated and popped into place. but then, because i had to remove the valve core and its still all soapy, when it deflated one of the beads slowly comes away. i need a presta style compressor thignymajig.

Northwind

Hmm, tyres won't usualyl come off the bead of a Stans rim without a bit of persuasion.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

you can get presta / schreader valve adapters

Presta adapters

I had the same problem – my pump wasn't putting enough air into the tube quick enough – borrowed a mates Joe-blow track pump and worked OK after playing with the tyre and holding the bead in place (had the wifes help keeping it in contact with the rim)

ansdy

Is it ok to use a CO2 canister? I assume you're using sealant? Im sure I read that the freezing cold escaping CO2 does bad things to latex?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Go back to the garage and inflate it. Then leave it for a couple of hours for the soap to dry off a bit and the bead to get a grip of the rim.

Le the the air out gently, then remove the valve core and put your sealant in and re-inflate.

When you do this, make sure the tyre isn't taking any weight i.e. put bike in workstand with tyres off floor, or turn bike upside down so wheel is off floor.

Moda
    Free Member

I have tried many tyres and if i get one that wont inflate, i just mount it on without any soapy suds, use a Co2 cannister to get it seated and then a floor pump to make sure all the beads are popped into place. Suspend the wheel so the tyre is not in contact with anything slowly release the air as much as poss then remove the core. Add sealant through the valve, i use big medical syringes or reuse a stans top up bottle.. Replace valve and reinflate with floor pump.

showerman
    Free Member

co2 is the way folward, have spent to many hours faffing around to find in 5sec the co2 sorted it. got this as you can use any chartrige in it
    http://www.tyreinflators.co.uk/innovations-tyre-inflators/cat_8.html
    one at the top of the page

glenncampbell

+1 for CO2!!!JUST DO IT! When I first went tubeless it went badly. After a long night of frustration and swearing I used a CO2 cartridge and it worked first time. Just get loads of soapy water on the tyre and I put some sealant in at the start just to get it going – once it's up I want it to stay up, as it were 🙂

I use this one – http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=58 and good value too!

Also – Maxxis tyres go up a dream with a track pump – found Schwalbe to be a bit harder to inflate.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

When I went ghetto one tyre went on fine with a track pump, no faffing around even with soapy water. Can still inflate that tyre (Panaracer Fire XC with track pump), oddly the other tyre (another panaracer Fire XC) needed CO2.

Only difference between the tyres was one being a steel bead, t'other kevlar. The other fiddly tyre then blew off the rim twice on the first ride, so got tubed again in the middle of a forest.

I'm firmly of the opinion that the bead type can make a big difference, problem is I can't recall whether the good tyre is steel or kevlar – think it's the kevlar one TBH.

z1ppy

Today I learned, make sure your track pump is well greased, so that you getting the full benefits of a track pump & using a syringe to dribble some sealant between the outside of the tyre & rim seems to help more than soapy water.

Might well just get a CO2 kit, but has anyone tried one of those car charger mini compressors with any effect? As a full sized compressor seems a little over kill for one set of wheels

stratobiker
    Free Member

Do a google search on "Inflating a tyre with wd40"….

sorted!!!!

SB

glenncampbell

The car mini compressors are okay but lack the initial burst of pressure required to get the tyre on the bead – which of course I found out having bought one. Oh well. Comes in handy for other stuff too!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I've not been able to get any folding Highrollers to mount on my Stans Flows without a rim strip – poor bead shape meant they wouldn't seal properly.

I've had no trouble with steel beaded versions though. Also, the bead on the 'new size' folding maxxis tyres like the advantage and aspen seems to be much more amenable to tubelessing.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Pump the tyre up with a tube – leave over night then try again – works for me esp on new tyres 🙂

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘AAArghhh, tubeless tyre wont inflate!’ is closed to new replies.