Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Aaargh Avid XX brake driving me insane…
  • waller
    Free Member

I’m hoping somebody can help me on this one.

Bought some brakes off the classifieds at Christmas. The rear needed a slight bleed. Unfortunately when I received them the rear brake pulls completely to the bar.

Had a look at them and one of the pistons was seized. I’ve managed to sort that and they both now move.

I’ve bled them 14 times now. Yep 14 both on and off the bike. The brake is slightly better now pulling up short about 5mm from the bar.

I’m obviously doing something wrong or possibly the brake is goosed. I’d hedge my bets on me being a doofus.

Has anyone any hints or tips to what I should be doing? I’ve followed SRAMs videos on YouTube so far.

Does having the lever would all the way out on the reach adjust make a difference?… And should the contact dial be fully would in the direction of the arrow? I’m at my wits end with them!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

robhughes
    Free Member

Piece of cake to bleed.
    Follow this exactly.It tells you what direction to adjust the bite pint before bleed.

waller
    Free Member

Hi rob,

Sorry, have you got the link?

Cheers for any help!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Do make sure that air is not getting past the syringe where they screw into the caliper

rickon
    Free Member

Have a look at http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com, advice on there how to bleed avids.

When you’re pressurising the lever or the caliper, by pulling the syringe plunger up when attached, are any bubbles coming out?

If there’s a stream of them, then the seals are goosed. If not, they probably just need bleeding properly.

takisawa2

Have you tried the sramtech videos on YouTube…
    You have to follow it to the letter, but I found it worked.

waller
    Free Member

Followed the sram tech. I did get a stream at one point but now it’s just fluid. There are small black bits appearing in the fluid. One or two……

Thanks for all the help guys. Will give it yet another go tomorrow 🙁

waller
    Free Member

Out of interest are the xx seals the same as elixir?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Welcome to avid brake ownership. Enjoy the ride.

robhughes
    Free Member

Ooops.New i had forgotten something.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Small black pieces coming out could be small bits of seal. Any signs of leaks from the lever area? When bleeding I try not to pull back on the syringe too hard as if the seals are a bit old you can draw air into the system past the seals.

waller
    Free Member

Cheers for the link. I’ve not been letting the lever flick back. Will give it another go tomorrow. Hopes are sooooooo much easier!

Thanks for all the help!

Doesn’t appear to be any leaks but the caliper was a bit wet and oily…… Gulp.

robhughes
    Free Member

Just follow it word for word waller.Really easy to do once you’ve done it once.

rickon
    Free Member

If the caliper is wet and oily, that’s a piston seal gone.

argoose
    Free Member

Make sure brake lever is set correct, think it’s 75-80 mm from bar, but please check. When bled try leaving lever out from bar apply brakes a few times. Had this with mine, too close to bar and seal covers a port in lever body. Had no problems since

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Followed the sram tech. I did get a stream at one point but now it’s just fluid. There are small black bits appearing in the fluid. One or two……

Black bits you say?
    I had exactly this happen on a motorcycle brake. (Exactly the same but bigger)
    I replaced the master cylinder with a brand new one. Nope.
    I replaced the calliper with a good used one. Nope.
    Turned out the hose was old and had started to deteriorate from the inside, and flex, giving a mushy brake.

In all honesty, I’m surprised you’ve not asked for your money back as they are clearly a lot worse than they were described as

waller
    Free Member

Thanks for all the help. I have re bled them this morning. Still getting little lumps out however the culmination of flicking the bar and also the discovery that the bleed kit I bought wasn’t making a good seal on either the caliper or leaver has been allowing air back in the system.

I also found that by winding the bar out to a full 80mm tip to bar has helped

With the lever set with the tip away from the bar and with the contact thing dialled all the way in I get 20mm movement from the lever when braking….

I’m guessing this is normal?

I’m off to buy another bleed kit. Can anyone recommend one?

Really appreciate all the help! Hopefully they are going to be all ok!

argoose
    Free Member

Epic bleed kit is ok

rickon
    Free Member

Bought some brakes off the classifieds at Christmas. The rear needed a slight bleed. Unfortunately when I received them the rear brake pulls completely to the bar.

Just read the description, the phrases:

– Trusty brakes
    – Will need a bleed if picky

To me, mean they don’t really need any work done to them.

They’ve been shod with Goodridge hoses, which to me is just plain wrong on Avids, as they rely on a little give in the hoses for modulation.

And even further they’re braided hoses on Avid XX brakes – you buy XX not for performance, but for lack of weight. Sticking hefty braided hoses on them is pointless, you might as well buy the X0s for £££ less with better performance.

It may well be that one of the olives is a little dodgy, if they’ve been fit by someone not knowing what they’re doing.

Personally, I’d be sending them back or selling them on.

The seller may well be completely open to this, and be a very nice chap who’s not realised how bad they were.

jamiemcf

For any Avid bits i’ve found the guys at bikegoo.co.uk very good.

Jamie

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Rubber bits sound like a dead seal (never heard the dead hose one before, but seems feasible).

Or if the hose was changed, a slip during installion could have meant a slightly cut up seal I guess.

With the lever set with the tip away from the bar and with the contact thing dialled all the way in I get 20mm movement from the lever when braking….

This sounds about right to me, IME.

Disclaimer – I don’t have any XXs. I do have a few pairs of assorted types of Elixirs and a set of Codes.

waller
    Free Member

Thanks guys 🙂

I tried a colleagues Elixir’s today. From a brake movement point of view my xx have less lever movement when braking so im hoping they will be ok.

Worse case scenario I will have to replace the seals on them when looking at it still makes them a cheap buy…. I think?

I have bought an epic bleed kit. the last one was from cyclonix and the brass things aren’t really long enough so you cant really tighten or loosen them. hoping the epics are better.

Thanks for everyones help. Really appreciate it. Im not in a position to buy new stuff but almost all of the second hand bits I have bought from here have been in good condition and the people selling them have been fantastic and really helpful.

epicbleedsolutions
    Free Member

Let me know how the bleed goes Waller. Take a look at our online guide in addition to the video posted earlier. Some of those pictures might help you.

http://www.epicbleedsolutions.com/blog/how-to-bleed-avid-brakes-like-a-pro/

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Aaargh Avid XX brake driving me insane…’ is closed to new replies.