Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Aaaaargghhh! Bleeding XT brakes.
  • Kramer
    Free Member

I’ve given up on my formula brakes arriving in time to fit to my bike before Morzine, so this afternoon I’ve trimmed the hoses on the XTs, that I’ve currently got fitted. The back works fine, problem is the front is still spongy after two attempts at bleeding.

Anyone got any top tips or how tos for me please?

Stu_N

For the 2008 ones (the ones with servowave) a bottom up bleed seems to work best IME

Space out pistons, remove cap at lever end then attach a syringe full of mineral oil (30-50ml should be loads) onto bleed nipple with some flexible tubing, open the bleed nipple a quarter turn and just slowly push the fluid through from the bottom end until there are no bubbles in the lever reservoir.

I usually just move the brake right to the end of the bar and ziptie a clear freezer bag with some bog roll in it (to mop up the fluid) around the lever and end of bar and just let the fluid piss out the top end as it is pushed through, then clean stuff up with isoprop afterwards.

5 minute job that way.

Kramer
    Free Member

Thanks Stu, will try that tomorrow.

jfeb
    Free Member

I feel your pain. It usually takes me half a dozen goes to get it right. Bleed bottom up, tap the hoses and caliper a lot, and finally do a small bleed from the top down as I tend to find a couple of small bubbles trapped just inside the caliper.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Aaaaargghhh! Bleeding XT brakes.’ is closed to new replies.