Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • AA Breakdown Repair cover – awesome!
  • peterfile
    Free Member

I got a great deal on full AA cover through Quidco a while back, and included in the package was AA Breakdown Repair cover, which operates a bit like an after market warranty.

My car is no spring chicken and I don’t know anything about engines so it seemed like a good idea.

Engine decided it was going to have a little snooze on the motorway a couple of weeks ago, conveniently just 20m from the end of the hard shoulder on the M8 near the Kingston Bridge in Glasgow. Scary stuff.

This was about 9pm. AA arrived 8 minutes after I phoned!!!

Car was taken to my house and within 15 minutes of getting home an AA mechanic had arrived and was busy problem solving. He suspected that the fuel pump had died (it wasn’t drawing any power).

My local Mercedes indy picked up the car the next morning while I was at work and identified that it was in fact the fuel pump. They dealt directly with AA claims department, noting that they were generally really good.

I picked my car up a couple of days later and a cheque arrived from the AA yesterday.

All I ended up paying was the £35 excess on the policy.

It’s just paid for itself about 6 times over already!

😆

Would definitely recommend.

imp999
    Free Member

Its been a while since I have had to have the AA out but I have always been impressed. The blokes have always been up for the challenge of getting me going again with a bit of skill & bodgery.

In a broken car with my mate who called out the RAC after I had explained to them that the car was repairable (Gear change ball-joint popped off).
    RAC recovery low-loader turned up with no intention of attempting the fix. Not so good.

franksinatra

The last time I had to phone breakdown was a few years ago when the EMU went on my Passat, a known fault. I called the RAC, gave my details and before I had even ended the call the patrolman appeared! He was driving past the end of the street, saw the call, slammed on the anchors and turned up the road. He reckoned he was there 10 secs after getting the call!

Fixed it with a well aimed hammer blow to the EMU, known fault with a dodgy relay switch.

Taff
    Free Member

Just had a look at that. Seems pretty good really if an issue is likely to cost up to £500

peterfile
    Free Member

Have a look at Quidco, Taff. I got £81 back when I took out my policy, which basically meant I got the repair cover part for free.

AA – Quidco

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The blokes have always been up for the challenge of getting me going again with a bit of skill & bodgery.

Agreed! Had an alternator issue recently, chap arrived and both skill and bodgery were employed to great success!

warton
    Free Member

we get AA cover free with our bank account. used them twice, both times I’ve have been more than impressed. First time, driving to France the next day, from Newcastle. Bonnet latch wouldn’t open. Guy spent two hours first opening it, then improvising a very smart way to open the bonnet, so we could go to France.

two weeks ago, wife lost key, AA came out, opened car so we could get stuff out, arranged a mobile key cutter to come out and cut a new key.

spooky_b329

Had various ‘adequate’ experiences when I was with Autonational Rescue (who contract out to local garages) but they always just wanted to bung it on a flatbed or bodge and run without checking the repair was going to hold up.

Now with the AA as we can get a discounted policy add-on that will fix or recover our horse trailer if it or the van is out of action, and send luxury transport for the horse and then temporary stabling if required, should we ever get stuck hours from home.

First time we called them out, I was impressed. The guy laid under my van in a layer of frozen mud, horse poo, slush and ice for thirty minutes until he diagnosed the fuel lift pump that’s tucked under the chassis, then showed me how to persuade it into life (bash it) should I need to stop the engine on the way home. I fully expected to be told to wait for a low loader for the van and trailer and then a lorry for the horse.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘AA Breakdown Repair cover – awesome!’ is closed to new replies.