Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • A75 and options
  • druidh
    Free Member

I’m just looking at some routes for a mini-tour and it seems I have some options between Gatehouse of Fleet and Creetown.

A75 – follows the coast, which is my preference.
    Corse of Slakes – follows an old military road (a love of mine)
    B796/NCN7 – it’s the signposted option for bikes

Any locals care to advise?

Oh and what are the off-road bits near Creetown like for a tourer with 28mm tyres?

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Not a local, but I have done a lot of cycle touring around Gatehouse. It’s probably my favorite part of Scotland for that sort of thing.

The first thing I would say is A75 – just don’t do it. Not a suitable biking road at all. Heavy haulage, locals and tourists all on road with high speeds and not great overtaking. I have cycled a couple of miles along it before from Twynholm with the Missus and I genuinely felt I was putting her at a great deal of unneccessary risk.

I would say B796 all the way. It’s longer and there is a fairly long climb out of Gatehouse but it is quiet and super scenic. Lovely riding. You can even visit the viaduct at Gatehouse station if you can handle the detour of a couple miles. It featured in the 39 Steps but is now disused.

Don’t forget to grab some coffee and cake at the Mill on the Fleet before you set off!

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Avoid the A75, its OK for very short sections, but its a very fast bit of road with a lot of traffic. Both of your other options are a lot nicer. The Corse of Slakes has a big climb (cat 3 I think) and is quite narrow, but you get a great view from the top. The B796 goes past the old railway station and is still a fair climb, but is not as bad as option 2, its a nice bit of road, recently resurfaced, and really enjoyable.

Which direction are you going btw? I usually ride from Gatehouse to Creetown via the railway station (option 3) then come back via option 2.

I’d say it depends how much you want to hurt yourself which option you take. Option 2 is about 320m of climbing vs option 2 of about 190m.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

I was originally planning East to West, but not really set in stone yet.

Either of those alternatives sound OK then. I might even see what I feel like on the day. 320m of ascent isn’t going to kill me 🙂

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

If you are heading on the B796 you can do a wee detour, take the Lausiston road out of Gatehouse then 1st left once past the golf course it takes you on very scenic wee road passed woods then crosses the Fleet and joins the B796 .

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

Oh and if you end up near Castle Douglas on a Friday about 5pm beer at the Sulwath Brewery on King Street is nice I belive

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘A75 and options’ is closed to new replies.