• This topic has 44 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • A3 Sportback Quattro, or…….
  • GJP
    Free Member

thesurfbus – Member
    How many miles are the folks with the A3 TFSI getting to the gallon?

Motorway driving 30 mpg perhaps 32mpg if I am taking my time

Elsewhere – commute a mix of local roads mainly perhaps 27mpg.

These figures are for the Quattro model – this hits the figures by about 20 to 25% according to the specs.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I have a Octavia 4×4,Older style Haldex 4×4 system,Very good car,Haldex keeps the car front wheel drive and then puts power to the rear wheels if the front starts to slip,or if you smack the throttle pedal to the floor.

Been out in mine and passed all sorts of cars on the slippery icy stuff we have had recently,The look of suprise on some peoples faces when a Skoda passes them,whilst they are there spinning there BMW,Ford,Vauxhall etc makes me laugh.

Will be having a Audi Quatro next of another Octavia 4×4

julians
    Free Member

Its a common misunderstanding that the haldex only engages the rear wheels when the fronts start to slip. This was the case with the first gen haldex, but the newer versions are more complex:-

From a standing start , if the front wheel starts to slip (by something like 6 degrees) the rear wheels will engage.

if the car is already rolling, then the computer that controls the haldex sends a varying amount of power to the rear depending on various inputs, such as throttle position, speed of throttle press, yaw/pitch/roll angles etc. So its constantly varying the amount sent backwards between 0% and 99%, although in practice you would rarely get 99% at the back.

In practice, It works brilliantly, the car never feels like a front wheel drive car. From a standing start in the wet, if you dump the clutch (and drive like a ****t), all four wheels will spin up and its impossible to tell that the fronts span up slightly before the rears.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Haldex systems vary massively nowadays but I still prefer “proper” Torsen 4WD. Had earlyish Haldex in my R32 Golf (mk4) and it did work very well indeed but there were times you could feel the torque bias shifting – which was a bit weird.

br
    Free Member

How many miles are the folks with the A3 TFSI getting to the gallon?

Motorway driving 30 mpg perhaps 32mpg if I am taking my time

Elsewhere – commute a mix of local roads mainly perhaps 27mpg.

And as its FSi don’t you have to use the ‘premium’ unleaded – which actually brings it down into my 3.5i ‘economy’ territory…

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘A3 Sportback Quattro, or…….’ is closed to new replies.