Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • A wise move or asking for trouble?
  • trailmonkey

To make willy-nilly inappropriate comparisons, simply waters down and robs the ability to learn from the mistakes that were made.

Something which I have no doubt, is completely lost on you trailmonkey.

Obviously not, that's why I flagged up it's usage.

From Godwin himself

I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler or to Nazis to think a bit harder about the Holocaust

Because saying that someone shouldn't cover their face is a close metaphor for systematic genocide isn't it 🙄

But you are right as always.

johnners
    Free Member

You all know it's not a real[/i] law?

trailmonkey

the internets aren't real ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Because saying that someone shouldn't cover their face is a close metaphor for systematic genocide isn't it

An impressive twisting of what I was actually responding to there trailmonkey……..well done !

The Pastor Martin Nieoller quote was of course in response to m_cozzy's comment about people "who take offence on others behalf" and had nothing at all to do with "saying that someone shouldn't cover their face"

But hey, don't let that simple fact stop you from having a dig at me at every given opportunity…………keep it up mate.

trailmonkey

The Pastor Martin Nieoller quote was of course in response to m_cozzy's comment about people "who take offence on others behalf" and had nothing at all to do with "saying that someone shouldn't cover their face"

Sorry let me re-adjust that for you :-

Because denying the right to a good whinge is a close metaphor for systematic genocide isn't it

That's cleared it up for me, ta.

But hey, don't let that simple fact stop you from having a dig at me at every given opportunity…………keep it up mate.

Fair enough, I'll leave it at that, if that's what you think.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

is a close metaphor for systematic genocide isn't it

The "metaphor" as you call it, isn't systematic genocide, it's about 'saying nothing because it doesn't directly affect you'.

The whole point of Pastor Martin Nieoller's quote, isn't that the nazis committed "systematic genocide", but that people said and did nothing, when minorities were being targeted. Because it didn't affect them directly – that's why the Pastor Martin Nieoller quote is so famous.

The fact that the nazis committed "systematic genocide" is completely irrelevant to the quote.

I can see that the message behind the quote has been comprehensively lost on you trailmonkey.

Fair enough, I'll leave it at that, if that's what you think.

No don't do that …… I really like the way you have a dig at me at every given opportunity – I can see that you have never really forgiven me for calling you a pseudo-leftie. And it's nice to be reminded that the comment really wound you up 🙂

Talkemada
    Free Member

Trailmonkey; where do you feel that xenophobia begins and ends?

Nice to see you talking out of your arse again… 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

That's why we're going to make a law that says if that if they don't dress how we want them to, we're going to put them in prison.

No. It's against the full covering of the face. I agree with your response to what I put earlier, but not this.

Honestly, I think whether or not "dress" is the right word is actually a distinction without a difference, but if this sounds less absurd to you:

People taking away women's rights to decide what goes on their face is oppressive. That's why we're going to make a law that says if they try to decide what goes on their face, we're going to put them in prison.

…then go right ahead. Think about it for a second: it is a law that takes away your right to decide what you put on your face. Your *face*. Is there anything more personal than that? Is there anything that the police and the government have less business getting involved in than that?

Junkyard
    Free Member

agree with kona the irony of people – mainly men- deciding that an item of clothing is oppressive to women so to free them from this tyranny they ban them from wearing an item of clothing that they choose to. You really could not make it up.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

trailmonkey

I can see that the message behind the quote has been comprehensively lost on you trailmonkey.

Sorry let me re-adjust that for you (again):-

Because denying the right to a good whinge is a close metaphor for stringing dissenting voices up with piano wire or interning and exterminating them

FFS just admit it, you invoked Godwin's and got busted. 🙄

I can see that you have never really forgiven me for calling you a pseudo-leftie. And it's nice to be reminded that the comment really wound you up

Didn't wind me up at all gus, it made me smile. It just confirmed to me your narrow minded prejudice and proves that you're as willing to judge and hate in the same ignorant ways as those which you're always condemning in others.

Trailmonkey; where do you feel that xenophobia begins and ends?

At the start and the finish ? Is that the answer you were looking for, or were you hoping to accuse me of something ?

Talkemada
    Free Member

At the start and the finish ? Is that the answer you were looking for, or were you hoping to accuse me of something ?

Well, actually understanding Ernie's point would not be something I could accuse you of, clearly… 🙄

Godwins Law: Same as 'It's PC gone mad' type bollocks.

trailmonkey

Well, actually understanding Ernie's point would not be something I could accuse you of, clearly

You have a clear problem in distinguishing between the words understanding and agreeing. I undertsand his point entirely, I might even agree with it, I just wouldn't feel the need to articulate it in such a way that draws comparison with Nazism as that obviously trivialises it. This is of course the whole point of Godwin's. Hope that sorts it for you.

Godwins Law: Same as 'It's PC gone mad' type bollocks

Oh here we go, difference of opinion = insulting posting. I must be a blue rinsed knee jerking Mail reader because Fred disagrees with me.

Get it off your chest Fred.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Didn't wind me up at all gus, it made me smile.

So I did call you a 'pseudo-leftie' ?………cool, I couldn't remember with 100% certainty whether or not I had 8)

Godwins Law: Same as 'It's PC gone mad' type bollocks.

Indeed. And the interesting point here is, who has flagged up Godwins Law. Trailmonkey has gone on record on here, of claiming to have previously supported the Anti-Nazi League and Rock Against Racism.

Of that I am absolutely certain ….. 'cause I remember thinking "he sounds like an OK guy".

Now everyone knows of course, that the specific role of the Anti-Nazi League was to expose the then racists in Britain, the NF, for the Nazis which they really were. It is a task which the Anti-Nazi League was hugely successful in achieving.

Strange therefore, that Trailmonkey should now be so quick to invoke Godwins Law at the drop of a hat.
    But of course it helps to wonderfully illustrate my description of him as a 'pseudo-leftie' 😀

trailmonkey

So I did call you a 'pseudo-leftie' ?………cool, I couldn't remember with 100% certainty whether or not I had

Not sure either, if you can be bothered to search it you'll find out. Think it was more of a "Guardian reader" type of generalisation but you're in the right ball park.

Indeed. And the interesting point here is, who has flagged up Godwins Law. Trailmonkey has gone on record here, of claiming to have previously supported the Anti-Nazi League and Rock Against Racism.

Of that I am absolutely certain ….. 'cause I remember thinking "he sounds like an OK guy".

Now everyone knows of course, that the specific role of the Anti-Nazi League was to expose the then racists in Britain, the NF, for the Nazis which they really were. It is a task which the Anti-Nazi League was hugely successful in achieving.

I was involved in those movements. I was also a NUPE shop steward at aged 17 if you need further proof of my psuedo leftyism. It is because of that anti-Nazism that Godwin's needs to be invoked. Every time comparisons are made in the way that you have, it trivialises what happened and opens the door slightly wider for it to happen again.

Strange therefore, that Trailmonkey should now be so quick to invoke Godwins Law at the drop of a hat.
    But of course it helps to wonderfully illustrate my description of him as a 'pseudo-leftie'

Nice to be branded a Nazi for daring to flag you up on that though gus, real nice work 8)

Talkemada
    Free Member

Trailmonkey; Ernie made a perfectly reasonable and valid point, by quoting the German feller, in the context of this discussion. It starts off with the little things…

Shouting 'Godwin's Law' like a schoolboy doesn't mean you actually have a valid argument against him, it just shows you know how to recite a mantra.

trailmonkey

Trailmonkey; Ernie made a perfectly reasonable and valid point, by quoting the German feller, in the context of this discussion. It starts off with the little things…

I disagree. Wether I agree with it or not, an act that goes through a democratic process is not the same as dragging people from their beds and murdering them.

Shouting 'Godwin's Law' like a schoolboy doesn't mean you actually have a valid argument against him, it just shows you know how to recite a mantra

That's a bit rich from the master of the 6th form manifesto 😉

I fairness Fred I think that the argument has been pretty much established and dispatched, hence the need for gus to divert the issue towards me being a nazi ❗

Talkemada
    Free Member

an act that goes through a democratic process is not the same as dragging people from their beds and murdering them.

And Hitler was never voted into power… 🙄

I think Ernie was making the point that apathy over the way certain minorities are being treated can lead to far more frightening long-term consequences. Ignore the little things at the expense of the bigger things later on down the line. I agree with him, actually.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Is there anything that the police and the government have less business getting involved in than that?

I think putting people in prison for it is ridiculous, but if it will alleviate fear for a majority, and security threats, regardless of how small, then yes, they probably do have a right to. What I find worrying is whether this could be a precursor to ideas like Geert Wilders' of banning the Koran and so on.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Got….

to….

get…

the…

Hundredth…

post….

….nnnghh.

duckman

This thread has had very little flaming of the religious so far;

TANNOY! Woppit to the chat forum please!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I thought this was just a simple error on your part trailmonkey :

"Nice to be branded a Nazi for daring to flag you up on that though gus, real nice work " 8)

But then you repeat it again here :

"hence the need for gus to divert the issue towards me being a nazi"

😕 So I've branded you a "Nazi" trailmonkey have I ?

And your evidence for that is apparently this :

But of course it helps to wonderfully illustrate my description of him as a 'pseudo-leftie'

So calling you a "pseudo-leftie" means that I'm branding you "a Nazi" does it ?

I think you've got some problems mate 😐

Not sure either, if you can be bothered to search it you'll find out.

I'm a bit busy right now, but I'll have a quick look at the search facility later….I'll let you know if it throws up anything interesting.

trailmonkey

Whatever gus, I'm bored with it now.

You can mark it down as another glorious example of being right

Hasta la victoria siempre.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well that's a shame trailmonkey, cause I found some interesting stuff after doing a bit of searching.

It was this comment up there ^^ which rang a few bells :

"Didn't wind me up at all gus, it made me smile. It just confirmed to me your narrow minded prejudice and proves that you're as willing to judge and hate in the same ignorant ways as those which you're always condemning in others."

And look what I found :

#
    trailmonkey – Member

Absolute tosh. The BNP are gaining ground because a bunch of gormless idiots are voting for them. You can apportion blame all you want but when it comes to voting, there's only one person who makes the descision. If you lot really think that some working class bloke in Burnley is going to vote BNP because he disagrees with LibDem economic policy then you're even more of a bunch of idiots than I ever imagined, People vote BNP because they are thick, racist, biggoted morons, end of.

Muppets.
    Posted 6 months ago # Report-Post

I responded to that with :

ernie_lynch – Member

Maybe we can win them over by calling them all "thick, racist, bigoted morons"…. ? 💡

Posted 6 months ago #

And then you said :

#
    trailmonkey – Member

You're right. Give them a big hug from me.

Posted 6 months ago # Report-Post

So it would appear that it's you who's "willing to judge and hate in the same ignorant ways as those which you're always condemning in others"

And in fact if we dig a little deeper, we find this :

trailmonkey – Member

You've outed yourself on this thread ernie. You can carry on with your 1000 word essays about the injustices of the world but when it comes down to a level that you can actually affect yourself, your happy to stand aside and let bigotry go. Only a couple of weeks ago you were on here telling us how you'd been friends for years with a BNP member and when you're faced with evidence of someone acting in a bigoted or bullying manner, you're happy to defend it and blame the recipients.

Posted 10 months ago # Report-Post

So there you are condemning me because I said that I had a friend who was a former BNP member, and you accuse me of 'defending bigots'.

This is some of the stuff I had said btw :

ernie_lynch – Member

Whilst for obvious reasons I have many like-minded friends, I don't choose my friends solely on the bases of their politics. And I can be friends with racists – and homophobes. And yes even with fascists. I despise the ideology, but not necessarily the people.

Posted 10 months ago #

So you have criticised me on here for being to tolerant and conciliatory towards fascist and racists, but now you accuse me of, quote : " your narrow minded prejudice and proves that you're as willing to judge and hate in the same ignorant ways as those which you're always condemning in others.

Some impressive inconsistency there fella. Still, at least no one can ever accuse you of not being consistently inconsistent.

But anyway, you're bored with it all now, so we'll leave it at that. And as you say : Hasta la victoria siempre. 8)

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘A wise move or asking for trouble?’ is closed to new replies.