Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • A wise move or asking for trouble?
  • tyger
    Free Member

clicky

Not saying right or wrong here.

higgo
    Free Member

Wise.

The sooner we can rid society of the fetid cancer that is religion, the better. This is just the start.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Wise for security reasons. Why don't they make them a bit more colourful as well. They probably wouldn't look so intimidating then.

higgo
    Free Member

Why don't they make them a bit more colourful as well?

How about this one?

mcobie
    Free Member

IIRC France are trying to do the same. Their upper house rejected it, but it is going back through and sounds like it will be passed.

In my opinion this can't be a bad thing, but I am sure if it was tried here there would be all sorts of "human rights" mumbo jumbo that stops it 🙄 but then I suppose each to their own.

duckman

Does not actually say in the Koran that women should cover their faces.Still why let that stop you going off the deep end higgo,eh?

Northwind

The big opposition isn't so much civil liberty or religious freedom IMO, it's as they say in the story, it'll lead to some women being effectively imprisoned- "You can't go out looking like that". Not against the idea in principle but it does stand to harm those who're already vulnerable and I don't like that much. I do like the way that in order to avoid the repression of women, they're telling them what they can and can't wear and threatening them with prison if they don't comply 😉

Incidentally, this law also bans the wearing of motorbike helmets and full face DH helmets, and putting a buff or scarf over your face because it's cold, and those daft facemasks some commuters like to wear.

dmiller
    Free Member

Crazy. No reason to ban other than fear. People should be able to choose what they wear.

higgo
    Free Member

Does not actually say in the Koran that women should cover their faces.

Correct, although lots of religites feel compelled to do things not prescibed in their holy books.

As an aside, it appears the bible pretty much outlaws technical cycling clothing, certainly anything in a merino/polyester mix…

Leviticus 19:19… nor shall you wear a garment of cloth made of two kinds of material.

That's me going straight to hell then.

project
    Free Member

You cant go in a bank with a crash helmet, unless you work for securicor,

Youre not welcome in a naturist beach unless youre naked, so whats the difference.

dmiller
    Free Member

And as for protecting woman how does we are going to solve the problem of people telling you what to wear by telling you what to wear work? Let woman choose and then deal separatly with any woman thats not allowed to choose by thier husband under normal don't be a dick to your wife laws… Its just fear of people that are different.

Lifer
    Free Member

Only around 30 women wear this kind of veil in Belgium, out of a Muslim population of around half a million.

Big security threat.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Not saying right or wrong here.

No of course not. Why would you express an opinion tyger ?

…….when all you have to do, is post threads on a regular basis which stoke up the islamophobic bigots.

benji_allen
    Free Member

It's a pretty bad article to be honest.

The law would ban any clothing that obscures the identity of the wearer in places like parks and on the street. No-one voted against it.

Why not just leave it at that? It's not a law specifically against Burkas. People are probably more concerned about youths with hoods up and scarfs across their faces.

dmiller
    Free Member

This really pisses me off. Of all the things that need addressed to help people get used to the idea that someone from a different religion isn't your enemy is this the best people can manage? Its like that shit to do with banning the tower bit on mosques that was on hear a while back. Why the ****? Just let people choose. Aaarrrggghhh!

MSP

They should also deal with the catholic anti contraception nonsense, by making all catholic’s hand out condoms to strangers when in public places, although probably best to keep them away from children.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Its just fear of people that are different.

+1

project
    Free Member

Every country has its own laws and we are all meant to obey them, Belgium made that law and it should be obeyed by foreigners.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Why the ****? Just let people choose

They did. They chose to ban it, along with anything obscuring identity.

Tiger6791

People never look at the bigger picture…

This will impede peoples ability to Ninje!

Ninjas are a victim of this prejudice

CountZero

The law would ban any clothing that obscures the identity of the wearer in places like parks and on the street. No-one voted against it.

Difficult to see how this would include wearing full-face motorcycle helmets, as they're not an item of clothing, they're protective headwear. You wouldn't go into M&S and ask to see their latest range of summer motorcycle helmets.
    As stated, the Q’ran just says that a woman should dress modestly. But then, extreme Islamists also use the exortation to kill unbelievers as an excuse to murder Christians, when Jesus is spoken of as a prophet of God in the Q'ran, and many other well known characters are common to both books, so how they use unbeliever as an excuse I've yet to work out.
    I'm not especially religeous, but I have read some of the Q'ran out of interest.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

project – Member

Every country has its own laws and we are all meant to obey them, Belgium made that law and it should be obeyed by foreigners.

😕 So this law is aimed at foreigners then ? What about Belgium burka wearers……….. won't they be affected ?

….how peculiar 😕

mrchrispy

lolz tiger

Northwind

"As stated, the Q’ran just says that a woman should dress modestly. But then, extreme Islamists also use the exortation to kill unbelievers as an excuse to murder Christians, when Jesus is spoken of as a prophet of God in the Q'ran"

In fact, the Qu'ran specifically names christians among others as "people of the book" and specifically NOT unbelievers or infidels. Which just goes to show.

Northwind

project – "Every country has its own laws and we are all meant to obey them, Belgium made that law and it should be obeyed by foreigners."

Whoops, you may have just carelessly let something slip there.

benji_allen
    Free Member

"As stated, the Q’ran just says that a woman should dress modestly. But then, extreme Islamists also use the exortation to kill unbelievers as an excuse to murder Christians, when Jesus is spoken of as a prophet of God in the Q'ran"

So the ban, although nothing to do with Islamophobia by the looks of things, should be welcomed as a move against extremism in Islam?

dyna-ti

Jesus aint so nice.
    Just look what he did to that fig tree,It was just minding its own business,when who strolls along but Jesus in a grumpy mood…..

Poor thing 🙁

i think that whilst some women are forced to wear them and are being oppressed by bigotted husbands the majority of women (esp from where I am originally from blackburn/burnley) they wear them to be deliberately antagonistic. Tbh this doesnt bother me that much but I do think that its strange and does not do any favours to the process of integrating into our society. What really gets me is if they demand to wear one and go to court to defend their right to where one like that teacher did. Thats pathetic, I would get fired if I demanded to wear a balaclava to work every day yet some people deem that a similar thing is acceptable in English society. In my opinion its not. If you want to wear one fine but dont expect the same rights to work as everyone else if they cant even see your frickin face you nutter!

epicyclo

Seeing people in that garb doesn't bother me. Never seen anyone wearing that gear behaving other than as a decent human being.

What is bothering is that there is a group of men in this society who are so unable to control their lust, that the sight of an uncovered face is a sexual signal. Maybe we should lock them up?

duckman

My wife grew up in Kuwait.Hair was covered,as per the Quran,the whole hibjab thing was looked on as pointless and err "willy waving." Higgo,first few books of the bible also says you should lock the wife in the shed when the painters are in!

higgo
    Free Member

Higgo,first few books of the bible also says you should lock the wife in the shed when the painters are in!

I'll break the bad news to Mrs Higgo tonight but it is the word of god, after all.

Did they have sheds in biblical times?

m_cozzy
    Free Member

Fantastic, if they want to wear a burka then they can happily do so back in burkaland.
    Wouldnt happen in the uk though due to the pc / hand wringing liberal types.

mogrim

dmiller – Member
    Crazy. No reason to ban other than fear. People should be able to choose what they wear.

+1

Another pointless attack on religious freedom by vote-hunting politicians.

juan
    Free Member

well yeah just ban it, so now girls that use to wear a burak won't be able to get out of the house anymore… Smart move isn't it…

tyger
    Free Member

Why can't they get out of the house?

dmiller
    Free Member

Fantastic, if they want to wear a burka then they can happily do so back in burkaland.

I would get fired if I demanded to wear a balaclava to work every day yet some people deem that a similar thing is acceptable in English society.

Belgium made that law and it should be obeyed by foreigners.

Some very small minded people in the world. I cant believe that something like this could cause such fear and hysteria in a modern world.

duckman

Tyger; Hard line Muslims would stop their wives/daughters leaving the house unveiled,in theory.

hey dmiller, like i said in the post i dont really care if they want to wear one and im certainly not afraid of someone wearing one! I wear a dress or sometomes nothin at all when im off my face at Glasto and everyone is free to wear what they like, but I was just saying that I really dont agree with them wearing one at places of work, and especially when teachers or their pupils demand to wear one. WTF is the point in a teacher pupil relationship (or any worked based relationship for that matter!) where you can't see the other persons face? The ban in Belgium has arisen partly because of a case like this and I agree with that she shouldnt be allowed to teach with one on. The ban is overkill and exacerbates a situation that is mainly propagated by extremist men whose ideas are detached from mainstream Islam, but it doesnt mean that because some people want to to do this we should as a society pander to the requests of some religious minorities demanding special treatment and allow it in schools and hospitals and organise special rotas so they can avoid contact with men! If you cant do the job then p**s off

tyger
    Free Member

duckman, sounds very oppressive and excessive

molgrips
    Free Member

Tyger do you watch the news at all? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘A wise move or asking for trouble?’ is closed to new replies.