Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • a) Which new 3-man tent?, b) what to do with the old 3-man tent?
  • crimsondynamo
    Free Member

a) It’s for car borne stuff when it just me and one or two sons. I’d like it to be tough and quick to put up. It’ll get used 4-5 times a year irrespective of wind and rain. No idea on budget as don’t know what one has to pay to fit this bill.

b) The old one is a Vango Tahoe 300 cheapy which is well past it, but I’m only accepting the fact now. There is a leaky seam on the groundsheet and a puncture repaired with duck tape, and a roof vent (also torn) which lets water in when exposed to driving rain. The poles are holding but some of the alu joints have cracks in them. Nevertheless I’m reluctant to just hoy it into a skip. Are there any tent-charities out there who would recondition it and put it to a noble purpose?

Advice very welcome!

xanboy
    Free Member

Without an idea of budget it is difficult to say.
    We have a Hilleberg Nallo GT which is awesome. It has stood up to 80 mph winds in the Lakes, torrential rain in Wales and snow in the Peaks. I’ve also used one kayaking in Sweden, it’s super tough and excellent quality. The warranty is great, but it comes at a cost though. We paid £765 and I’d pay it again without hesitation.
    I’ve got friends with Terra Nova tents which are pretty tough and also Vaude are good.

charliemort

i had an old (10 man) Wild Country tent which ripped. Like you couldn’t face just binning it. I sold off the poles / inners as spares, only binned the outer

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

http://giftyourgear.com/gift-gear-24-x-7/

or local scout/youth group?

julianwilson
    Free Member

Iirc our local refugee charity (ie big lorry of stuff ot calais charity) takes tents. Might be worth looking on facebook to see if you have one locally.

m360
    Free Member

Wild Country Hoolie fit the bill? They do an ETC version if you want a larger porch.

Or why not get a Tee-pee such as the Nordisk Asgard Link to Glamping

PS – If you do want one of the Hoolies I could do you a new Hoolie 3 ETC for £160, or the Hoolie 3 for £120 if you fancied (plus £3.50 p&p)…

Hoolie 3 ETC Linky

Hoolie 3 Linky

bullandbladder
    Free Member

For quick pitching, try the Quechua tents at Decathlon.
    Good value and God quality. I’ve had one for probably ten years now and it’s showing no signs of ageing.

mrmoosehead
    Free Member

Vango omega 350.

Light enough to share in backpacking
    large enough for a cosy family of 4
    enough room in the front to put a couple of bikes.

Seems pretty bombproof.

ajantom

seconded on the Quecha tents. Excellent quality at a low price.
    I’ve had my one man, 1kg bikepacking one for 9 years, and it’s still going strong.
    I bought this Decathlon Arpenaz Tent for festival use over the summer, and it was brilliant. Lots of room ,very easy to pitch, and well made. Can’t go wrong for £65!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘a) Which new 3-man tent?, b) what to do with the old 3-man tent?’ is closed to new replies.