Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • A 'Which Brakes?' Thread
  • slowjo
    Free Member

I am after some new brakes for my Niner. I have a budget of £130 an end (excluding rotors). 160mm both ends.

Any suggestions?

richmtb

Depends on priorities.

I’m looking at new brakes too.

at £130 an end you might want to look at Hope X2 Evo Race. Very light and apparently pretty decent power.

£130 will just about get you both brakes if you buy XT’s off Rosebikes though

relliott6879
    Free Member

Shimano Deore / SLX / XT (almost impercetible performance or weight differences between them) if you’re on a budget or just don’t like spending more than absolutely necessary, Hope X2 if you’re feeling a little more flush or just like nice things for your bike.

In use, both are just as good as eachother. The one thing you can guarantee though, is that if you buy Shimanos you will be mercilessly berated by people who use Hopes and vice-versa.

scud
    Free Member

The new XT brakes, i haven’t managed to find a fault yet, brilliant.

stevepitch
    Free Member

Just paid £136 for the new XT brakes from Rose, first ride on them yesterday and bloody fantastic they were too so much better than the shite avids I had before more feel and more power win win

hth

richmtb

Just paid £136 for the new XT brakes from Rose,

Did you need to swap the hoses on the lever. If so was it pretty straightforward?

Ta

Rich

stevepitch
    Free Member

Did you need to swap the hoses on the lever. If so was it pretty straightforward?

Yes and Yes.

I’m mechanically inept and I was able to do it 😀

richmtb

Cool, think I might be ordering some then, they are ridiculously cheap!

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

I had a go on a friend’s bike with new Hope X2 Evo Race brakes recently and was really impressed – great feel and, most surprisingly, tons of power. Best feeling Hope brakes I’ve ever used by miles.
    I’m genuinely considering some as a replacement for my problematic 2012 XTs – I love the power and feel of the XTs but can’t get a good bleed no matter how hard I try – they are going back to Madison when I get round to it.

slowjo
    Free Member

Deleted cos I failed to read earlier response! 😳

relliott6879
    Free Member

Deleted, as it was a reponse to the above!

frank4short
    Free Member

At £130 an end you’re twenty quid short of being able to get the xtr ones off rose bikes. If i were in your position I’d save for an extra week and go for the pimp ones…

slowjo
    Free Member

XT brakes ordered from Rose Bikes. The money I save will let me get a new Rotor BB for my Swift which is getting a bit rumbly.

Thanks for the input chaps!

slowjo
    Free Member

No email confirmation from Rosebikes yet. Are they usually a bit slow with that anyone?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘A 'Which Brakes?' Thread’ is closed to new replies.