Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • A week in Rome
  • ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Give me your red-hot tips. What to do, where to go, what to see AND what to avoid etc.

We’re staying in a fairly central tidy hotel.

Ooh: and we want to do a day-trip to Pompeii.

Hithangyow.

footflaps

We went there for a long WE in Feb, for my Birthday.

Photos of the sights we saw: http://www.flickr.com/photos/brf/sets/72157632722384874/

View from the Pantheon at night, Rome by brf, on Flickr

Inside the Pantheon by brf, on Flickr

St. Peter’s Basilica by brf, on Flickr

Trevi Fountain by brf, on Flickr

The Colosseum at night by brf, on Flickr

badnewz
    Free Member

Lucky chap – best city to visit in the world IMO

Vatican museums, Colosseum, Spanish steps…so much else to see especially if you have a whole week…just wonder around…I’d also go elsewhere for the day on the high speed train…maybe Florence.
    Have fun!

footflaps

original thread with loads of suggestions:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/what-to-see-in-rome

jekkyl

my top tip: when you go to the Forum take a guide book with the history of the Roman Emperors in and then sit down and read through it with your partner. Thrilling to think these things went on around the place you’re actually sitting in.

Also, take an umbrella but not for any rain.

Sui
    Free Member

ooh i’m off there sometime next week (during a longer stay in Italy) – need to find somewhere to propose as well.. 8)

footflaps

ooh i’m off there sometime next week (during a longer stay in Italy) – need to find somewhere to propose as well..

Might be tricky, will be very busy in summer. Was lovely and quiet in February. My favourite spot was outside the Pantheon at night, sitting in one of the bars opposite…

toby1

When we went a few years back there were loads of free tours of the Vatican and other places, you could tag along then tip at the end (generally American art history students) great knowledge and info so well worth it.

Also, sit around eat gelato. Oh and as you are likely going in August, prepare to be very very warm!

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

The Forum/Palatine Hill (if you ever did Latin at school, suddenly it’ll all have been worth it), Pantheon, Colosseum … get a guidebook and work your way through the sites, or ‘simply drift’, it’s such a fantastic city you can’t go wrong. If you visit museums check out opening times and allow yourself enough time to see everything (particularly the Sistine Chapel). Very jealous here!

crapknees
    Free Member

need to find somewhere to propose as well

Do it at the top of St Pete’s Basilica. Incredible views, and if she’s willing to walk up there, she’s a keeper!

Sui
    Free Member

The basilica was an option, as was the Orange Gardens on top of the hill looking down onto Rome.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

THAT sure as hell ain’t gonna happen.

lasty
    Free Member

Bit of a tip …
    Buy Vatican tickets online and walk to the front of the MAAHOOSIVE queue.
    Rest is pretty straight-forwards really …
    Oh – pointless trying to get a cheap deal to the airport – fixed price.
    AND – forget about driving anywhere, bloody nightmare. car not needed as most areas can be walked to or buy a travel pass.

Andy_B

Go to Trastevere area to eat in the evening. Go across Ponte Sisto and wander around a bit. Trattoria de Gli Amici is worth a go.

Castel sant Angelo is a nice view over the city that’s fairly cheap and less crowded.

Gelato – Gom, Giolitti (near Pantheon) -try the plain mint flavour- and San Crispino (near Trevi fountain) although it’s hard to go wrong compared to Mr Whippy

Sui
    Free Member

Thurman Merman – Member

THAT sure as hell ain’t gonna happen.

why?

doh! just got it

zeffir
    Free Member

Yep, Trastevere the place to eat in the evening, very atmospheric in the lanes there. Top tip, if you want to stop for a drink go to the quieter streets away from the main sites, the views will cost!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘A week in Rome’ is closed to new replies.