Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • A week in Edinburgh, which of the Stanes are a must?
  • Amos
    Free Member

I realise I'm not terribly close to any except Glentress which I've already ridden, was wondering which is worth a visit? At some point we'll be heading north slightly so is the red run at Fort Bill worth a look?
    Cheers Mat

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I wouldn't bother with Glentrool, Ae or Newcastleton. Of the others Kirroughtree is great but the furthest away. I'd do it then stay somewhere nearby and do Mabie and Dalbeattie on the same day. Drumlanrig is not a Stane but is worth a visit. When did you last do Glentress? There is always new stuff being built there, more so than anywhere else. There is also lots of stuff there thats not on the maps. Easy to do it or Inners in an evening.

Smee
    Free Member

Errrrr – Innerleithen.

lammy
    Free Member

I would say try Dalbeattie. Do "The Slab" you'll love it!

churcherian
    Free Member

I would say Innerleithen XC route is worth a try if you like Glentress and in my opinion a bit better in places, somewhere between the GT red and black. Its also a lot quieter! Agree with above, Drumlanrig well worth a visit, especially if you like techy roots. Mabie is short and sweet, we have done both AE and Mabie in a 'long' morning.

crazy-legs

Only Innerleithen and Glentress are remotely close to Edinburgh.
    Nice though the rest are, I wouldn't drive half way across Scotland to do them just for one day – fair enough if you plan on staying over for a while.

Pentlands are worth a ride, there's enough there to keep you occupied for a while and plenty of locals around on here to show you the best bits.

craig1975
    Free Member

I think Ae is still worth checking out too, but if your just doing a day trip then I agree do Mabie then Dalbeattie on the same day.

Kiroughtree is a must do trail, but it's a good 2 and a bit hours from Edinburgh.

I'm heading to kirry tomorrow… can't wait 😀

rOcKeTdOg

you gotta do inners, top trail in the area and usually quieter

coogan
    Free Member

Innerleithen, 40mins from Edinburger, plus Gypsy Glen is right across from GT and is a cracking wee natural route. Or the Pentlands is you like to be bored…

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

If you're bored in the Pents then you aint riding the right bits.

franksinatra

complete no brainer, head to Inners. Flying lap pf the xc then over to GT for any trails that you havn't ridden, or re-ride those you enjoyed the most.

coogan
    Free Member

Ridden plenty of the Pentlands. Some nice bits, but overall, pretty dull.

crazy-legs
    coogan
    Free Member

Actually, head through Stirling way. North 3rd, Dumyat and Ben Cluegh all offer some fantastic riding. Three of my favorite routes.

Ben Cleugh skinny singletrack, goes on for ages.

North 3rd. Rocky, rooty and mucho fun.

Dumyat. More rocky, rooty goodness.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Oh well, the less in the Pents the better!!

0pt1cal
    Free Member

If you want trail centres then Innerliethen and Dalbeattie are worth visting..Ae is ok….Kirroughtree the least technical, but the bit at the end is excellent.

Pentlands is nice and handy to Edinburgh…plenty of riding to be had, but not that technical and as above can be rather bland. Although I quite like riding there as it's a change from roots, rocks, jumps & drops.

Stirling is pretty bl**dy good…..with loads trails and variety..if you can hook up with a local then I would take up the offer. Only 45 mins away and I would recommend North Third, Dumyat/Uni & Mine Woods…plus Cambusbarron is great.

To be honest if your prepared to travel to the trail centres and drive for 2 hrs I would be looking further North..Fort Bill, Glencoe, Mamores and the Cairngorms…..some amazing natural and man-made riding.

kennyp
    Free Member

Plenty of riding of all types in the Pentlands. I suspect many of the folk who call them dull just don't know all the good bits. Or they might be much better riders than the rest of us I guess. I ride up there umpteen times a year and never get bored.

Laggan, Fort Bill, Inners, GT, Ae, Dalbeattie and Kirroughtree are all pretty good, but much of the best riding in Scotland is on the natural stuff. There are several good books with routes, or plenty folk on here will help out.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I've riddden in the pentlands a lot. Plenty of good riding there but not good enough to be worth travelling to. Far better riding is available within an hours drive

ojom
    Free Member

There are some nice bits in the Pents, some.

You could play on Nibbler for an afternoon. Thats a laugh. Plus there is another set of secret DH tracks, really well hidden. I haven't even told my normal riding pals where they are yet so i might keep them quiet a bit longer…

The Pentlands is fine – of you are in the area have a go. I always say, 'imagine living in London, you couldnt ride from a city centre spot and be in those type of hills and feel that remote if you loved down there'. It has its good points seeing as its right on the doorstep. sometimes people forget.

Otherwise, Dumyat gets a bog thumbs up as does all the others the guys have mentioned.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never mind biking.

A few pints in the last drop, the grassmarket.

ditto in cafe royale, up near john lewis.

A burger from wannaburger.

Literary pub tour from the beehive, again, the grassmarket.

Leave the bike at home.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Rode the Nibbler on Wed night, great fun. Any clues to the other tracks. Could show you some good tuff in Midlothian in return. 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

There is plenty of good "natural" riding within an hour or so drive. Its a shame to come up to Scotland and not do some of the natural rides

The stuff around stirling mentioned above is good – and there is plenty more. Loch Ordie near Dunkeld, Gypsy Glen, to name a couple more

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Looks like I need to get up to Stirling.

robgarrioch

Apologies for minor hi-jack;
    Re 'Nibbler'; I've walked up and around white hill for the last 12 years or so, I'm sure that wee wooden sign, says 'Nibbler', appeared there 4 or 5 years back, before the mini-DH trails were really established. Always assumed someone had buried a pet there by the same name..?

Bikechain – go on, tell, tell! (I don't ride them DH's by the way, just can't believe there are yet more secret gardens up there!)

ojom
    Free Member

my lips are sealed. i promised someone not to tell.

Amos
    Free Member

Ok gonna ride the Pents tomorrow any suggestions on where to start or how/where to get to the good bits? Got an O.S map of the area and a guide book, any info much appreciated! Oh and Glentress thursday if any body is around and fancies a chilled spin round the red route…..

nuttysquirrel
    Free Member

Hey Coogan, you're talking rubbish – those trails near Stirling don't exist and if they did, they'd be dire.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL at "bored in the Pentlands"

FFS it's not a playstation 🙄

Kit
    Free Member

If you're bored in the Pents then you aint riding the right bits.

Plenty of riding of all types in the Pentlands. I suspect many of the folk who call them dull just don't know all the good bits. Or they might be much better riders than the rest of us I guess. I ride up there umpteen times a year and never get bored.

Well spill the beans then! I can think of a few fun bits, but they're not really that much fun anymore when its the only riding available to you week-in-week-out. Would be interested to find out where all the gems are hidden…

kimbers

maybe its improved but i remember dalbeatie as being far too much fire road and not much fun!

Amos
    Free Member

Ok girls back in your corners 😉 just looking for some tips on where to start out tomorrow

druidh
    Free Member

Amos – PM me if you want a more detailed map of MTB tracks up there….

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

How did you get on in the Pents Amos? I'd agree with Kit, if I only rode the Pents I'd probably get bored too. It helps a lot if the trails are fairly dry. Black Hill was great fun last week as was Phantom's Cleugh. I typically don't ride the Pents more than twice a month and mix it up with rides at Glentress or in the woods at home.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘A week in Edinburgh, which of the Stanes are a must?’ is closed to new replies.