Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • a wee sandman fat bike taster
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Been waiting on a 165mm rear hub – arrived just in time for the snow ! :s

just waiting on some precision tools to finish my custom axel 😀 – thats why its 900mm long atm – its 12mm in diameter as the hub is a sun ringle 165mm x 12mm and im gonna put 10mm flats on the axle , need some small files to tidy up the grinding to let the threads still be used!

not as heavy as i anticipated for sure !

hopefully encourage me to slow down and have fun 😀 compared to my race bikes its a weight 😉

leggyblonde
    Free Member

that looks wicked man! want

cynic-al
    Free Member

Nice…I have just ordered evrything for my 3/4 fat Shand.

epicyclo

Could have done some damage with that at the ‘Puffer methinks 🙂

pedalhead
    Free Member

Like! That’s a mean looking bike. Any snow left round your way?

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha brian – i wanted to take it but i just couldnt get the rear end ready in time.

mark sadly nein no snow … due more end of the month though , aberdeenshires second dump is usually the bad one so heres hoping …

fully prepped now – heating oil , coal , landrover , snow bike ! – just the essentials !

paul78
    Free Member

I’m very jealous!!!

shaggy

Is that the frame Paul had? My Gobi is built now. Still some tweaks to do but I’m loving it! Some photos are on
    Flickr. Sorry I can’t post photos from my phone!

trout
    Free Member

Anywhere to try a fat bike in west Yorkshire.

Woody
    Free Member

For some reason I didn’t think you had a Gobi!

That is a very lovely thing

ps. there appears to be some small progress with the Sandman website, except it’s now in Flemish!

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Maybe a little off topic but there seems to be some sandman knowledge here, do they all have 100mm fork spacing? Is that any disadvantage over the ‘standard’ 135mm for these bikes?

And anyone had any experience of the modded xt hubs which are brought out to 165mm by cutting and inserting a 30mm spacer?

Oh, and nice looking bike!

trail_rat
    Free Member

my fork is a sandman 135 model ….

it is matched to an XT rear hub.

i was suppoed to have a cut and shut rear 165 xt but it went missing in royal snail

ringle ones better quality although for the intentions of this bike id have prefered C&C bearings ! – shaggy / aidan you guys have the experiance is there any grounding in my fears of cartridge and pawl units over c&c for freezing up and slowing down in the cold , will packing out the cart units with low temp grease be just as good as the same job in a C&C hub ?

Woody
    Free Member

ishouldbeworking

Conrad at Sandman can spec. pretty much whatever you want. He is currently updating his website so you will eventually be able to ‘custom build’ online, including frame and all build parts. Probably much quicker to email him with any questions at this stage.

Sandman Bikes

shaggy

Aidan has just started a WHW double ride so I don’t think he’ll be posting soon…

Cartridge bearings are fine. We both used Hope SS hubs on the iditarod. I re-greased but I’m pretty sure Aidan just ran his as they came. Special grease really shouldn’t be necessary in the UK. IME freehubs/pawls are much more likely to freeze up than bearings. Something like a hope or DT is good as you can dismantle it by hand and defrost it quite easily. Try that witha Shimano hub…

My forks are 135mm spaced as well.
    XT rear seems fine. I have one built on to a “summer” 47mm rim.

trail_rat
    Free Member

oh i know it wont be needed in the uk 😉

wonder how hes finding the loch side on the pug !

Woody
    Free Member

not as heavy as i anticipated for sure !

TR – I’d be really interested to know the actual weight as that is similar to what I’m looking at, except I’ll have SC32’s.

Ishouldbeworking
    Free Member

Thanks, I’m in oz so freezing not so much of an issue, I was just negoitaing the purchase of a new fatback when a semi-local sh sandman popped up to complicate things. Nice looking frame but comes with the 100mm fork and xt hub, neither of which i’m sure about.

I tried emailing Conrad recently about a frame but guess he is snowed under with enquiries and didn’t get to mine yet…

trail_rat
    Free Member

ill finish it first before i weigh it …

id be surprised if suc32s werent lighter than the sandman forks …. they are steel

shaggy

Re weight: min is 27lb as pictured. I have a set of sc32s as well but haven’t weighed it with them on yet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

shaggys sandman – looking good !

Woody
    Free Member

27lbs is impressive with a triple chainset too! What rims/hubs are they?

shaggy

In that picture it’s a some trials rear rim and a xt hub, front wheel is a Flattop 80mm rim on a Echo hub. Rear wheel will soon be another Flattop and a modified DT hub.

trail_rat
    Free Member

suspect mines will weigh more then

arctic cycles 100mm drilled weighed them before building at 1150 or 1250 grams ! ill need to have a look on my home pc

Lionheart
    Free Member

Fat Bike threads are back, the distraction!! The memories of those around Xmas had faded, and until today I had weaned myself off look at Fat Bike sites…..

Woody
    Free Member

Shaggy – they are light! Do you get them from CRC Alaska?

shaggy

Yup, thats right. If I hadn’t been in a rush I’d have gone for Surly Rolling Daryls.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Wow rode it today – just wow it’s almost as fun as the first time I rode my downhill bike ! So different to any other bike I’ve had – needs gears though 34:28 Is ridable at round here but in snow nonchance !

trail_rat
    Free Member

weight is 35lbs

my build hasnt given any thoughts to weight – nor are the wheels light – the rims alone weigh more than my wheelset on my race bike …..think the wheels alone weigh in the region of 12lbs …..

if goldtec come up with their sandman hubs – i may go for a set of them on the rollin daryls/flattops if there that much lighter.

quite like my 165mm – 12mm hub into 165mm- 10mm frame axel – looks quite neat !

coastkid
    Free Member

Trail rat your bike is the same weight as my pugs was when first built with Pro 2 hubs,truvantiv cranks and 36h marge rims,
    since then it has middleburn cranks/PW BB but now an alfine and somehow nearly 39 lbs… frame must be full of wet sand 😮
    both your bikes look nice,
    Thought of organising a fatbike festival one weekend this summer at Holy Island,
    10 mile beachride on a Saturday from Berwick (at low tide!), pubs and food then bivi/camp on the island,ride back Sunday…
    Berwick Upon Tweed being on NE Railway esay enough to get too 😮

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds eggselent ! If I’m in the uk count me in always up for a wee bivy – going out for another were fat ride tomorrow. It’s addictively fun !

Hairychested
    Free Member

You lucky people! How I envy you, darn it!

coastkid
    Free Member

Rolling down a big sand dune is great!
    Its against all normal expectancies on a bike…
    feel the float :mrgreen:

bruneep

Terry nice bike! Wouldna mind a closer look at somepoint, there’s still snow at millstone, a couple of guys there today.

Mantastic
    Free Member

Am soon to be a pugsley owner so would be interested in the ride to holy island and to share a few beers with other fat bike owners.

Are there man fat bikers in the UK?

epicyclo

Mantastic – Member
    …Are there man fat bikers in the UK?

I have man fat and have a fatbike 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

Bruneep might bring it along to craibstone tomorrow night as it’s my only fully functional bike after TE puffer !

Aidan
    Free Member

Nice looking bike Terry!

Going back a bit, I used Hope Pro 2s where I had cleaned all of the grease from the freehub for Iditarod. Worked fine for me but it didn’t get as cold as it could that year.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘a wee sandman fat bike taster’ is closed to new replies.