Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • A wee dilemma at C_G Towers …
  • cinnamon_girl

Do hope the STW Massiv can help out, they usually are so brilliant with their suggestions!

Dilemma – I am due to have neighbours soon (on the side my house is attached to) so for 18 months C_G Towers has rocked to the sounds of my eclectic music taste 8)

I obviously need to turn the volume down but due to my previous rock chick lifestyle, my hearing has unfortunately been shot to pieces 😥

Very concerned about my quality of life deteriorating, I just have to have my fix of grungy guitar gods 🙄

Soundproofing – what can you tell me about it? What can I do, apart from headphones?

Thank you so much 😀

RichPenny
    Free Member

First off, I'd suggest changing the thread title!

You may find the soundproofing isn't too bad at the moment. Is it a solid wall between the houses? If you can, move the speakers to a non-adjoining wall. See how the neighbours are, they might want to come round for a listen….

MrNutt
    Free Member

move?

gusamc
    Free Member

Moving will be the best solution.

I've seen a pro job on a flat ceiling – lots of money – no change ……

tails
    Free Member

they might like rock also.

cinnamon_girl

Haha Rich!

Move – to a caravan in a field?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

they might like rock also.

everyone else's musical "tastes" are incomprehensible!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can you find out how much the sound travels? go round and ask your neighbours at what point the nmoise annoys?

There are ways of mounting speakers that reduce sound transmission – put them on a wall that does not adjoin another property rather than the floor for example

druidh
    Free Member

I'm a bit unclear. What are the two options you're torn between?

cinnamon_girl

OK, there have been workman in there and when they are not drilling/plastering etc, they talk. I can almost make out what they are saying! And that's with my bad hearing.

I am seriously concerned about my quality of life. I rarely watch TV so music is one of my leisure activities. Bit worried about sound carrying with the other too 😯

nickc

Erm…. Headphones?

cinnamon_girl

And who put that tag up there ^^

tails – was that you?

MrNutt
    Free Member
    cinnamon_girl

Jeez, the tags have been breeding 😯

5thElefant
    Free Member

Radio 4 is the answer.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Do you want to tell us what your music system is and where and how your speakers are placed.

Not sure how much it will help other than us nosey parkers get to consider your hi fi. 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I think "slapper" is harsh 🙁

cinnamon_girl

OK, have a really nice new Rega CD player, B & W speakers then downgrades to 25 year old amp/vinyl player from Duel. Speakers are on stands by adjoining wall, couple of inches out.

Ideally what I would like to do is play my rock at the same volume as a TV is listened to.

Had a quick scan of an article in The Times about soundproofing but that naturally was mega bucks … and I have a bike habit 🙄

cinnamon_girl

Call me "slapper" to my face – you'll find out who slaps the hardest.

nonk
    Free Member

harsh tags.
    easy to be harsh when its anon. 🙄

nonk
    Free Member

folks that hide to tend to be.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I suppose it is a bit too much to have the speakers on the other side of the room away from the adjoining wall? Although I suppose it may be better that the speakers are facing away from next door.

retro83
    Free Member

Ideally what I would like to do is play my rock at the same volume as a TV is listened to.

well that doesn't sound unreasonable, but then again how loud have you got your telly? 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Tag removal – thank you. I'll confess to being a PITA but that was definitely not justified.

Yes, speakers really need to face away from that wall. I'm genuinely surprised at how flimsy the wall is, the house is around 30 years old.

Funnily enough when the owner saw my music collection, he had similar tastes! But the house is being rented out.

I may well resort to having North Shore on the driveway again, that should be enough to worry anyone. Plus of course the STW'ers that are sometimes here 8)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but then again how loud have you got your telly?

the poor dear's hearing is going – the telly keeps falling off its stand from the vibration 🙁

nonk – Member: folks that hide to tend to be.

isn't that everyone who doesn't use their own name on the forum ?

cinnamon_girl

Tags – a "tart"? Me? You 'avin a larf?

clubber
    Free Member

Sfb, Hardly. Anyone who's had any email contact with me knows my name and tbh about 5 mins of detective work would find it otherwise.

Cg, just talk to them. Good icebreaker I reckon.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Sfb, Hardly. Anyone who's had any email contact with me knows my name and tbh about 5 mins of detective work would find it otherwise.

detective work ? "Hello, who are you?". "Not saying!"…

clubber
    Free Member

Lol. I'm sure a clever chap like you could do better than that.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wall mounting the speakers may help even if they end u in the same position. Sometimes the sound travels thru the floor joists into the wall more easily that it would thru the wall. Depends on construction.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'm sure a clever chap like you could do better than that.

had I the will to care…

sweepy
    Free Member

Id echo the 'talk to them' comment. In my experience most people will happily put up with more noise if they feel they have some control over it.

have you seen the size of their speakers yet?

clubber
    Free Member

Well quite sfb but that's not the point.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for replies. I think I will talk to the owner and explain about the poor wall construction/lack of sound-proofing. He actually only lived there for a short while so will be unaware.

mboy
    Free Member

Which B&W's you got C_G?

I have/had (mate is borrowing them on permanent loan whilst I have no space!) an old pair of B&W 603S2's… Floor standers with 2 7" bass drivers in each speaker, powered by a bloody power house Rotel Power Amp rated at a conservative 130W per channel…

My neighbours used to love me! 😉

Best option, as said before, move the speakers so they're near a different wall. Also, move them out away from the wall a little bit. The closer the speakers are to a wall, the more the bass booms. So move them out by even 6 or 8 inches, and it makes a fair old difference.

Alternatively, buy a decent pair of Sennheiser Headphones for listening to your music after the watershed?

RichPenny
    Free Member

If they're doing structural work in there already (possible if you can hear the builders talking) you may be able to negotiate some soundproofing installation with the owner. Go 50/50?

Gary_C

But the house is being rented out.

Ah!The new tenants will no doubt be on benefits,so will be playing drum'n'bass,hip-hop shite,& rap crap at volume 10 at all hours of the day,(with a slight respite while Jeremy Kyle's on),so go buy a more powerful amp….

😉

cinnamon_girl

Mark – it says DM600 on the back of the speaker. Mean anything? So … did you receive any complaints then?

Will move speakers further out. Have some rubbish cordless headphones and the Sennheiser ones are only for the MP3 player. Too bloomin' expensive for cordless!

Rich – definitely not structural work.

Gary – am very confident the tenants will not be on benefits!

Gary_C

Gary – am very confident the tenants will not be on benefits!

c_g,my post was very much tongue in cheek,hence the… 😉

Flaperon

At uni the guy next door used to do nothing but listen to crap music at maximum volume. Very thin dividing wall between rooms, you could actually see it vibrating.

Not really much of an issue because I wasn't in my room all that often but the nights before exams etc used to be murder. He never did figure out why his circuit breaker kept tripping out in January and June. 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘A wee dilemma at C_G Towers …’ is closed to new replies.