Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • A weather/building/leeds question.
  • ton

Leeds city council under the guidance of the coroner decide to shut the roads around bridgewater place in leeds.
    this is due to a death, in high winds a few years ago.
    this is good news imho as the place is a nightmare in high wind.
    the road is shut to vehicles and cyclists, yet it is open to pedestrians. the man who died was a pedestrian.
    i find this a bit odd.

sandwicheater

Clocked that on the news yesterday. At first I thought it had happened again.

Seems odd cyclists and cars are being stopped. Would make since vans and larger vehicles being stopped in high winds.

Esme
    Free Member

According to the BBC, the danger is from lorries, etc, toppling over. The tall building (Bridgewater Place) isn’t at risk of collapse, but I presume it creates “eddies” in the airflow, thereby increasing the effective windspeed.

So unless there’s a risk of being crushed by a falling pedestrian, then people on foot should be relatively safe. Better wear a helmet, though, just to be on the safe side 😉

tmb467
    Free Member

…awaits “pedestrian blown into Aire” story

binno
    Free Member

It’s a really bad (not to mention ugly) tower that creates a wind tunnel effect. It really is very dangerous and something the council denied was a problem for years until that death.

Good thing in my book. I only wish there was more accountability behind these things.

devash
    Free Member

Its about time this happened. The council have been dragging their heels over this for a few years now. A lot of people reckon this is because of some shady business practices that allowed the building to be built in the first place.

firestarter
    Free Member

There is another particular junction in leeds that on windy days together with the camber is a mare for lorries. I have personally attended 3 of them on their side resulting in 2 deaths. But it has just been ignored 🙁

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A weather/building/leeds question.’ is closed to new replies.