Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • a trustworthy and likeable MP…………..
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Brown is thick in that sense for sure – probably more so that Hague. I have little time for Brown nowadays as he is dragging the labour party down and appears unable to see this.

Lord Paul is not in any way comparable to Ashcroft – the difference is in the honesty. We know Paul is non dom He has not hidden this and he has not lied about his staus.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bump for the glitch

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Anyway, enough TJ baiting (Ashcroft already well covered elsewhere)

I forgot two I have a lot of respect for;
    Kate Hoey and Frank Field. Both of whom are willing to stand up to the party machine and speak their minds. I think that's really important, for anyone. Alongside being a good local MP on local issues, I think the ability to really say what you think and believe is vital.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You mean yuo have no way of defending the indefensible that is Ashcroft apart for attacking others?

Kate Hoey I give you – Field – no – a very nasty piece of work and very egotisitical.

It really is a thin field – trustworthy and likable

mogrim

Douglas Hogg, anyone with the balls to claim money for moat cleaning gets my respect.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Hague : Cannot understand anyone wanting that drip to represent tham at any level under any circumstances. Would love to know why others would though.

Tony Benn : Good
    Mo Mowlem : Good
    Lord Carrington : Good
    Michael Hesletine : OK
    John Prescott : OK

As of now struggling to think of any others worthy of a space at the trough.

noteeth
    Free Member

The Hon. Member for Cambridge. 😈

Not many men/women of state worthy of respect these days (regardless of political views), imo – although the likes of Cable bear scrutiny.

As for Hague: next time the Tories get into a righteous lather about the treatment of HM Forces, somebody should ask him about his old mate (& fat porker) Guy Hands and the piss-poor MOD love-in with Annington Homes.

iDave
    Free Member

Cromwell may have been kind of honorable until undertaking the killing of a few hundred thousand in Ireland…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Sorry, did someone say Cromwell? Seriously? Try looking up a little bit about his treatment of people fighting for their freedom in Ireland (as tribalchief) has pointed out.

Evil evil man.

noteeth
    Free Member

Try looking up a little bit about his treatment of people fighting for their freedom in Ireland

Gotta love STW politics redux 🙄

Being of anglo-Irish descent, I am more than aware of Cromwell's bloody record in Ireland (which I do not exonerate by the simple act of posting his face on a STW thread – FFS). But, frankly, that does not extinguish the importance of his role in English (and parliamentary) politics.

God forbid that things can be complex, eh? I mean, my grandmother's family changed sides three times during the [English] Civil War. 8)

ton

god, wish i had never opened my mouth. 😉

pitduck
    Free Member

no such creature, ALL are lieing cheating b+-&%$£s 😡

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Gotta love STW politics redux

Nice attempt there. But hey, no problem. It's just that the title contained the phrase "trustworthy and likeable". I mean if it had been "mass murderers who achieved good elsewhere" then yeah, post his picture. We Irish eh…long bloody memories.

You know, how about these two…they're MPs aren't they? Lets forget about one of them being the ex Commander in Chief of the PIRA shall we? As for the other one….

They almost look quite cuddly there.

ton

i thought the bloke on the left was a man of god………. 😉

noteeth
    Free Member

DD – come off it.

"You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately … Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

Anybody with half a brain understands why Cromwell gets repeatedly invoked in current discussions about MPs. Since he has been dead (and dug up, and reburied) for a while now, he is not the current hon member for anyone or anything. His appearance in this thread is for the sake of historical context (and, yes, whimsy)- lest those who represent duck houses and second homes forget that Parliment can indeed be shaken off her shiny arse.

If others want to turn this into a debate over the Irish question, that's up to them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well noteeth, you stuck his pic up onto a thread that was asking for "likeable and trustworthy MPs"…so you know, I don't mean to upset you by calling into question your judgement.

I'm simply pointing out that while he, no doubt did much for our dear parliamentary democracy, I can't separate his actions out from the massacres.

StuMcGroo
    Free Member

i don't know if he's an mp anymore but years ago… dave nellist (i think he was ousted by labour for being to honest and wanting to represent his constituants, don't want any of that in the house of commons!)

noteeth
    Free Member

I can't separate his actions out from the massacres.

Fine. I mean, I can't separate out the beauty of Roman engineering (underfloor heating! aquaducts!) from the murderous actions of the Legio II Augusta… but I understand the historical process involved. 😉

I'm certainly not making light of Cromwell's Irish campaign, but that does not remove from his pivotal role in English politics. It may be impossible to separate out a man from his actions, but history ain't a single-faceted thing.

As for your cuddly pair, I can't separate either of 'em from the bloody turmoil of the last few decades. But things have to move on – surely all can agree on that?

Coyote
    Free Member

Michael Hesletine : OK
    John Prescott : OK

Michael Hesletine??? Are you having a laugh? Do you remember the smug, self satisfied way he announced the pit closures? Likeable, hardly. Trustworthy? Only as long as I could see him and both his hands.

Ah, honest John Prescott, the peoples polititian. The environmental crusader who used one of his many Jags to drive 500 yards from the hotel to the conference venue. The grass-roots labour man who lorded it up at Dorneywood at every opportunity. Trustworthy John who slammed his secretary over the desk as soon as his wife's back was turned. All that without even digging into the *unproven* allegations of inpropriety over authorisation for planning permission.

I am honestly struggling to think of even one who is both likeable and trustworthy.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I'm certainly not making light of Cromwell's Irish campaign

Grand job.

As for your cuddly pair, I can't separate either of 'em from the bloody turmoil of the last few decades. But things have to move on – surely all can agree on that?

Indeed they do and indeed we can.

aracer
    Free Member

noteeth – have you completely missed the point of this thread? It's not about historical context (if you carry on insisting it is, I'll suggest a certain late 20th century female MP as a candidate).

headfirst
    Free Member

If only John Smith hadn't come to such a premature demise, how different things might have worked out… 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

I am honestly struggling to think of even one who is both likeable and trustworthy.

The big problem is that those who are aren't newsworthy, so unless they're your constituency MP you'd never have heard of them (mine is Sir Michael Spicer and I'm definitely not suggesting him).

aracer
    Free Member

If only John Smith hadn't come to such a premature demise, how different things might have worked out…

Indeed – we'd not have been suggesting William Hague, as nobody likes a former PM 😉

Coyote
    Free Member

so unless they're your constituency MP

Dave Watts. Posesses neither quality. Personality bypass too.

noteeth
    Free Member

Indeed they do and indeed we can.

Amen to that.

have you completely missed the point of this thread?

No – have you completely missed the bit where I said that "the likes of Cable bear scrutiny"?

aracer
    Free Member

No – have you completely missed the bit where I said that "the likes of Cable bear scrutiny"?

So apart from that bit you missed the point?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

aracer, to be fair to noteeth, it was my elephantine Irish memory that started off that little storm-in-an-STW-teacup.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

I just saw a likeable and trustworthy MP by my house standing in some rocking horse shit and trying to sell hens teeth!

noteeth
    Free Member

So apart from that bit you missed the point?

Erm, no. Like some kind of incredibly gifted Shakespearean playwright, I introduced the ghost of Cromwell for a bit of light relief – i.e perhaps our current MPs would like to run thru their expenses with the New Model Army, or something.

I then accepted that Vince Cable seems to be both "trustworthy" and "likeable" – i.e. he bears scrutiny.

FYI, the post followed the following format:

Rubbish joke.

Answer to OP.

HTH.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

headfirst – Member

If only John Smith hadn't come to such a premature demise, how different things might have worked out…

Indeed – the best prime minister we never had and I am sure he would have got the majority – to say it was Blairs doing that he got a majority is simple historical revisionism. A pint of sour milk could have been labour leader at that point ans still got a majority so hated, weak and disorganised were the tory party

noteeth
    Free Member

the best prime minister we never had

Buried on Iona and still widely admired. For Bliar's religious fervour, I doubt he'll ever match that.

nickc

OK, I'll nominate Tim Boswell the MP for Daventry, as an honest and likeable decent constituency MP. He lives locally, he supports and is knowledgeable of local charities, worked hard for mental health support, didn't even get tangled up in all the expenses row. He's a deeply blue conservative, but had a couple of very interesting chats with him regarding equal rights and the Human rights convention. He's stepping down this year, and it's our loss TBH.

BermBandit
    Free Member

Ah, honest John Prescott, the peoples polititian……Trustworthy John who slammed his secretary over the desk

It is in fact the slamming his secretary over his desk thing that I admire him for, that and the fact that he has always been a man with human frailty unhidden. So yep I do tend to trust someone like that rather than some shiny twunt with a constructed image which is only ever going to end in disappointment.

Personally I tend to judge my politicians on a "let him who is without sin cast the first stone" basis. Far less disappointing that way. Even then I can still only think of 3 with 2 poor runners up in my entire lifetime.

noteeth
    Free Member

Unleashing his human frailty… 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No matter how much the press tried to drag Prescott into the gutter with them (and he gave plenty of opportunities all by himself), I still liked him. He had to stand up in the parliament we all hold so dear while entitled, inbred cocks on the other side shouted "gin and tonic steward" at him. That's still the "backbone" (like the tories really have one anyway) of the Tory Party – that's what most of them are really like to me.

jojoA1
    Free Member

Charles Kennedy and the sadly departed John Smith.

I like Charles because he's a real person. Who wants to be governed by perfect people when we ourselves are imperfect. I want to be governed by those who understand human frailty.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

we ourselves are imperfect

I applaud this remarkable show of modesty on STW 😀

noteeth
    Free Member

I like Charles because he's a real person

Indeed. Compare his nervous but endearing appearance on HIGNFY – compared with, say, the horror that was Alan Duncan.

iDave
    Free Member

prescott is thick as pig shit and only got anywhere as he brought the unions with him

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘a trustworthy and likeable MP…………..’ is closed to new replies.