Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • a trustworthy and likeable MP…………..
  • ton

i know it is a hard task these days…..but who do you like and trust..

my vote goes to Vince Cable.
    and i am not a lib dem supporter.

failedengineer

Gordon Prentice, Labour, Pendle

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dennis Skinner would be my shout.

Bunnyhop

I'll be so slated for this, it's William Hague for me.

A top favourite is/was Tony Benn, obviously not now.

aracer
    Free Member

Isn't it a contradiction in terms?

Has to go to somebody with no power and never likely to have any, since power corrupts, so yes Vince is a good choice 😉

Edit: I agree with both bunnyhop's choices.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have been struggling with this one a lot recently and found it hard to come up with any really – even including MSPs

Ken Clarke is at least an honest scoundrel.

Anabel Goldie has played a limited hand well at Holyrood but I don't think I could ever trust her

Malcolm Chisholm is about as close as I can get I think.

teamyeti
    Free Member

Hi Ton, ive spoke to Harry the spider and i will use your entry for hit the north, you want me to send you a cheque??

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Billy Connolly got it right when he said

'The desire to be a politician should automatically exclude you from ever being one'

When you think about it, it does make sense

mudshark
    Free Member

Yeah I've always like William Hague and Ken Clarke too other than his involvement with a tobacco company.

ton

teamyeti – Member
    Hi Ton, ive spoke to Harry the spider and i will use your entry for hit the north, you want me to send you a cheque??

no mate, have it on me………but
    i hope you win like i was gonna do……… 😉

mrnmissespanda

David Davis for throwing away his front bench position to have a by-election over civil liberties.

teamyeti
    Free Member

will be doin my best mate.

uplink
    Free Member

I'd have to agree with Dennis Skinner

Past MPs who I believe have been decent & trustworthy are
    Tony Benn
    Eric Heffer
    David Davis

clubber
    Free Member

Based on my known knowns, I reckon Vince Cable but I'll be honest, it would hardly raise an eyebrow from me if that turned out to be wrong (or a known unknown)

binners

I can think of only 2 people in recent years who have put their money where their mouth is, and stepped outside the molly-coddled tent to piss in instead

Robin Cook
    David Davies

allthepies
    Free Member

Skinner likeable ? lol

IanMunro
    Free Member

I used to think David Davis was a bit of a tit, esp with respect to the by-election, but after hearing him on Desert Island disks last year and learning a bit more about him, he went up in my estimation a lot.

/EDIT
    FAO mods. The word tit, as in blue tit, great tit and long tailed tit should be 3 asterisks, not 4 🙂

Philby

+1 for Robin Cook
    and regrettably Ann Widdecombe

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

David Davis – that was a cynical ploy for party political gain that failed – not some great idealist move. he is a slimebag.

In the past there did seem to be more.

Trustworthy and likeable is a hard combination – Skinner for example was hardly likeable I think. A real dogmatic and singleminded person

uplink
    Free Member

Skinner likeable ? lol

you've obviously never spoken to him

IanMunro
    Free Member

he is a slimebag.

What makes you think that?

aracer
    Free Member

David Davis – that was a cynical ploy for party political gain that failed – not some great idealist move.

Well I think this is a first – I agree with TJ on something political. Was just going to post something similar myself.

If we're talking ex-MPs, then Tam Dalyell?

aracer
    Free Member

…actually if we're talking ex-MPs (though in his case still a current politician), then I have to mention the ex-Welsh First Minister, Rhodri Morgan – the only MP I've met in a totally social sense (his daughter shared a house with mrs aracer).

iDave
    Free Member

Iris Robinson? oh sorry, i thought the question was who is derelict of all positive attributes….

MrWoppit
    Free Member

"None of the above" always gets my choice…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ian Munro – Member

"he is a slimebag."

What makes you think that?

Have you heard him speak? did you follow his resignation over the supposed matter of principle?

he clearly did that for political gain not idealism nd he failed miserably. He is thick and he tell lies = slimebag in my book.

I am not being party political on this I just find it hard to fins any politicians who are both trustworthy and likable. The trustworthy ones tend to be monomaniacs at best – Skinner / Dalyell et al. The likable ones tend to be rogues

allthepies
    Free Member

I think TJ is quite wrong about David Davis but as he's a Tory then I expected not less 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

So what do you reckon to Hague then, TJ?

aracer
    Free Member

I think TJ is quite wrong about David Davis but as he's a Tory then I expected not less

Do you also reckon I'm wrong on that basis?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Your opinion allthepies – note aracer agreed with me.

It really was a cynical ploy and he suckered loads of people – you included it would seem

Nothing to do with any party allegiance – I lauded a couple of Tories further up and of all current politicians Annabel Goldie the scots tory leader is probably the one I have most respect for for playing a very poor hand well. She has made the labour party in Scotland look small minded, petty and an irrelevance despite having very little representation.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The problem with ALL politicians locked into a 4-year cycle process, is that they always unavoidably operate via short-term solutions whilst trying to solve long-term problems. That's why nothing ever seems to get better.

A permanent, benevolent meritocratic dictatorship would probably be the way to go, but who'd have the nerve?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

aracer – Member

So what do you reckon to Hague then, TJ?

Better than the average. Decent chap, believes he is honest but too close to Ashcroft for safety. He is a bit thick tho.

aracer
    Free Member

He is a bit thick tho.

Now that I strongly disagree with!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ, enough about Ashcroft, how about Lord Paul? Non-Dom, up before the beak for some very dodgy expenses claims and one of Labour's biggest donors…..

Oh, and Hague being a bit thick? First at Oxford, MBA at INSEAD. Of course, only thick people can get that, can't they?

Anyway, my two penn'orth here;
    Hague and Clarke appeal to me as they really do seem to say what they think.
    Tony Benn, in a way, is someone I respect as, once again, he seemed to say what he realy thought. The way he and his family have handled a land access dispute around their estate has rather soured this, though.
    Robert Key, Salisbury MP, always seemed bery good on local issues, which counts a lot for me.
    Cleggy – Odd to say it, but I really do value the way he has taken up the cause of the armed forces at PMQs recently.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Have you heard him speak? did you follow his resignation over the supposed matter of principle?

I have, which is when I thought he was a tit (and i'm sure there are forum threads from that time, when I said as much), then I discovered more about him and changed my mind.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Thick in the "nous" sense rather than booklearning – hence some of the stupid things he has done – like wearing a baseball cap for a photo op or boasting about the amount of beer he drank. getting so close to Ashcroft rather brings his judgement in to question as well.

aracer
    Free Member

Ah, fair enough. "Thick" in the same sense that Gordon is thick then.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

TJ, are you also going to say that Gordon Brown is thick because of his recent "6 pints a day" claim? Or perhaps his banana diet? No? Well, how about getting so close to Lord Paul rather brings his judgement in to question as well? Hmm. No?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CFH – Lord Paul has not lied nor caused his party to lie – that is the difference.

Ashcroft will be proven guilty soon enough. He is corrupt thru and thru.

anyway – why deflect criticism of your favourite party by criticism a party I have no allegiance to? You clearly have no reply to the truth about Ashcroft. He has put the tory party in a really awkward place as they cannot survive without his money but they know he is a corrupt liar and has not done as he has pledged – and what he has done is against his own parties policy.

If there was nothing wrong they would come clean and you know that

aracer
    Free Member

Bah, now I'm being discredited by CFH agreeing with me 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘a trustworthy and likeable MP…………..’ is closed to new replies.