Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • A treat for all Lego fans..
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

Best toy ever made, without question. Helped to stimulate imagination, develop co-ordination skills, teach design, engineering and construction principles, and allowed kids to act out all sorts of fantasy scenarios. And the beauty was, it was never static; everything could be pulled apart, to create entirely new worlds.

Jammy bugger gets to visit the Lego vault.

Ah, what a happy time childhood was, playing for hours and hours, with loads of little bricks, lost in my own little world, sometimes actually falling asleep surrounded by hundreds of little pieces.

I’ll never forget the Christmas when my present from my nan (hope the angels are looking after you, nanna) turned out to be this:

I won’t lie; I’m a bit emotional, remembering such happy times. What’s your favourite Lego memories?

Lego rocks. Forget the OLPC project; every child on Earth should have Lego…

trailmonkey

What’s your favourite Lego memories?

Definately this, although that Steven Hawkins thing comes close

A bit sweary, so may be NSFW

kona_uk
    Free Member

WOW ! That has brought back some memories…..

I remember the space lego and I remember the lego board that looked like the surface of the moon…I was very big on lego with my grand parents.. happy days ! 😀

l45key
    Free Member

Buying some space sets for my 7th or 8th birthday is my memory of Lego, loved the stuff.

My 5 year old is now discovering it and wants some for his birthday, good lad!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Playing about with torsion bar suspension on the technical stuff.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Playing ‘Limited Lego’ with my two cousins on Nan’s lino kitchen floor. We’d each build a car/vehicle and then crash them into each other in a triangular three-way pile-up. Then make three new vehicles from the pile of bits.

Ah, the 70s. Happy days…

slowrider
    Free Member

i remember the technic test car was THE set that all the kids wanted. my parents tried ot fob me off with a smaller version but i stood firm and got the real thing. the gear box was beyond me though, gutted!

noteeth
    Free Member

Building the high-speed train (the red one) with my dad, on Christmas Day, light years ago.

Wondering how old you had to be to graduate into Lego Technics.

Being disgusted by people who mixed “Castle” with “Space”. 😈

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Blimey, I had this:

Had to be confiscated, or I woon’t get out of the bath. You had to fit a weighted keel to the bottom, for aquatic use, or you could fit wheels, for use on dry land.

My mum worked in Hamleys for a short while, and got a couple of small sets as promotional gifts. One was a tiny little house, with about a dozen bricks. Those sets are worth a flippin’ fortune, now!

Ah well. Memories are priceless…

scuttler

Was a lego nut when I was a kid. Got the Technical forklift kit clicky when I was 4! So why do I have no clue when it comes to maintaining my bike?

My favourite kits were the Space Cruiser more clicky and the Car Chassis here.

I build loads of ‘custom’ stuff – oil rigs, cable cars from the upstairs to the garden (Where Eagles Dare anyone), big assault ships with ships and tanks inside and choppers on the top.

And I’ve got a twelve week old boy – oooh – what to buy? Bikes, Lego, Nintendo Wii, Scalectrix – Come on!

Harry_the_Spider

I once met the educational director of Lego on a flight to Korea. I told him that is was his fault that I was destined to spend the next week in various hot and noisy paper mills because Technical Lego had got me in to engineering at the age of 7.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

This was my favourite

happy days….

mrchrispy

rudeboy, that ship is the one that started me off with lego.
    Happy days my friend, happy days.

TimothyD
    Free Member

The space lego monorail set was one of my favorites,and the technical lego yellow float plane with moving ailerons and elevator and motorised engine. I used to spend hours lying on my bedroom floor making things.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I can remember treading on a piece of lego in bare feet or socks used to hurt like anything!

TimothyD
    Free Member

And right angled 3-ers were always hard to find if i was making something up.

I even made a moving model of a beam engine after going to Kelham Island in Sheffield,an electric motor connected to a wheel drove the piston,rather than the normal way round.

Playing with Lego was good. My bedroom carpet was always really comfy to lie on while making things.

Pigface
    Free Member

Spent hours and hours playing with Lego, best game me and my mate came up with was something we called Crashems, basically build two wheeled vehichles and crash them into each other on the upstairs landing at his mums house. I ended up with a square thing with cogs for wheels called Cogs and he would spend hours constructing the most eloborate contraptions. Cogs would always break and wreck his fantastic creations but he would just go and build another. He was a genius with Lego, brilliant memories.

freeform5spot
    Free Member

handed over all my origainal lego to my son this year. He loves it!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Good archive for old lego sets, plenty of nostalgia:

Brickset

Do NOT download this, if you have work to do!!

Lego Digital Designer

Sadly, I think a lot of the innocence and simplicity has gone, from Lego. Too much merchandising stuff and ‘themes’; Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones etc. And there are too many elaborate parts; part of the appeal was using one’s imagination, to overcome the limitations of basic pieces. And there’s stuff with guns and knives now; Legoland was always a happy place, where no-one had hate or anger. Well, apart from Castle, but the weapons were at least in a historical context.

nukeproof
    Free Member

This one sticks in my mind as the classic one we all wanted (My bother had it)…

Here’s 2 of my favourite ones I owned…

Sadly, I think a lot of the innocence and simplicity has gone, from Lego. Too much merchandising stuff and ‘themes’; Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones etc. And there are too many elaborate parts; part of the appeal was using one’s imagination, to overcome the limitations of basic pieces.

Do agree but then at the same time I love my son’s Lego AT-AT and Tie Fighter…Lego and Star Wars: the perfect match!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I progressed to Technic very quickly, but I do remember having a fire station…

I had this –

And a big crane on wheels with a telescopic jib, but I can’t find that one anywhere…..

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Nuke, I soooo wanted that car. Never got it though

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I still have that car….boxer engine, adjustable seats and everything. 8)

Lego = Best. Toy. EVER. Fact.

nukeproof
    Free Member

Nuke, I soooo wanted that car. Never got it though

Yeah, it was cool. Thing that doesn’t really come across in the picture is it’s size: got to have been over half a metre long which, to a kid, seemed even bigger.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

*wanders off for a browse on eBay*

vinnyeh

I’ve just given these away to a friend’s son:

and

but still have this to build when the weather turns:

CaptJon
    Free Member
    scuttler

Piratey stuff = rubbishest lego ever. A flippin one piece shark… tsssk.

rOcKeTdOg

i had that tractor and the car+ a fork lift and snow mobile that pivoted in the middle

did anyone else build ‘rally’ cars and draw fake mud on them with felt tip?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Of course, I do still have some Lego, I’ve got these 😀

&

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Big Lego fan back when anything other than white and red was unheard of. Spent months building houses with the transparent light brick, and disappearing into my wardrobe to check it out.
    Suffered a recent relapse and splashed out on the recent VW Beetle.

scuttler

Lego relapse. I think I’ll have one of those! 🙂

luke
    Free Member

I used to have this:

In fact the bits are probably in my parents loft.

matthewjb
    Free Member

I had lots of Lego. Mostly odds and ends.

Then finally I got my first big set. The car…

As others have said it was a really impressive piece of kit. Reclining seats, suspension, working gearbox and engine. It took a couple of hours to make.

My son loves Lego now. Some people may think all the movie tie-ins are devaluing the brand but I’m not so sure. Not now that I’ve seen the Star Destroyer. Very impressive.

caledonia
    Free Member

I’ve still got all mine !
    30 years old !
    Hehe !

Can’t wait till my Son want’s to play with it all. (Right now we just a have a huge mix box)

Still built and in boxes in the loft are.

I’ve got a whole city.
    Most of the (New) Star wars
    And technic stuff up there too.

Soo many happy memories !

grizzlygus
    Free Member

Helped to stimulate imagination, develop co-ordination skills, teach design, engineering and construction principles, and allowed kids to act out all sorts of fantasy scenarios

What a load of pompous bollox – I suppose RudeBoy, all your xmas and birthday presents were boring ‘educational’ sh1te from ‘Early Learning’ eh ?

Anyways …. I would have thought that the kids down your street played with real bricks ?

Now …. real bricks were well ace for ‘acting out all sorts of fantasy scenarios’ ….

stevomcd
    Free Member

peterpoddyAnd a big crane on wheels with a telescopic jib, but I can’t find that one anywhere…..

I had that one too! I think my favourite though was what was called the “Universal motor set” – came with motors and loads of bits, but no big single thing to make – I liked making my own stuff.

One of my best mates has a brother who is a graphic designer and had a job with Lego for a while. His days were basically drawing stuff up and handing the drawings to someone to build them. That’s got to be a cool job!

taka
    Free Member

i still play with it still pop down to the local toys ‘r’ us and pick up the new catologs for playmobile and lego 🙂

Dougal
    Free Member

I bought the big Technic Bulldozer as my own Christmas present in 2007, is great fun. Dog doesn’t like it mind, bit like the hoover, very wary of it.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

What a load of pompous bollox – I suppose RudeBoy, all your xmas and birthday presents were boring ‘educational’ sh1te from ‘Early Learning’ eh ?

What a nasty, bitter and twisted individual you are, Gus. Just because you were too old before Lego was invented. You’re just jealous. 🙁

I have to be honest; I do like the Star Wars Lego stuff. I could only dream of that, 30 odd years ago.

I love some of the more unusual sets:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘A treat for all Lego fans..’ is closed to new replies.