Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • A super-exciting question about brake pads
  • muzzle
    Free Member

I’ve got some new Superstar pads and I can’t retract the pistons enough to stop them rubbing on the rotor when I fit em (Avid Elixir 5 brakes). I’m pretty certain that the brakes wouldn’t work satisfactorily if I let a bit of fluid out, as they pull almost to the bar with a worn set of pads fitted.

Are Superstar pads thicker than the average? Can anybody point me in the direction of a good deal on sintered pads that they know are a bit thinner than Superstar please? Ta.

muzzle
    Free Member

Cheeky bump – would appreciate any advice please. Thanks.

robj20
    Free Member

Sand the pads down till they fit.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Your brakes need a bleed. Do this (properly) and the pads will fit.

Northwind

muzzle – Member

I’m pretty certain that the brakes wouldn’t work satisfactorily if I let a bit of fluid out, as they pull almost to the bar with a worn set of pads fitted.

Then they’re already not working right! A good bleed should sort both, but it’s possible it’s 2 separate issues.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I was going to answer but I got palpitations from the excitement.

grum
    Free Member

SS pads are quite often slightly too thick. I had to file mine down to fit in my Formula The One calipers. Didn’t take much though at least.

Northwind

FWIW I’ve had stacks of SS ones in my The Ones and they’ve all fitted fine- they need to be pushed back absolutely all the way mind… OTOH my XT ones needed some of the finish taken off the sides as they were too wide.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘A super-exciting question about brake pads’ is closed to new replies.