Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • A stunning waste of Money
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Basildon (yes that Basildon in Essex) is going to get a 'Hollywood style' sign done at a cost of £400,000!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8591492.stm

What a huge, huge, huge waste

nickc

They must be made of money is Essex, wasn't there a plan to plant Palms on the sea front at Southend, that was going to cost £100,000?

IanMunro
    Free Member

On the radio this morning it stated that whilst the Hollywood sign is 45 feet tall the Basildon one will only be 5 feet tall so that it doesn't distract too many people.
    Genius! 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

5 feet tall and going to cost £400k, what is made of, gold!

tomhughes46

Thats 10k per foot of height per letter. I hope the local council of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch don't get similar ideas.

cynic-al
    Free Member

LOL. Basildon is a dump! As is Southend.

scaredypants

It is part of a project…..The £400,000 project

🙄

mudshark
    Free Member

The sign is supposed to warn people off right?

Has it been "tagged" yet ? 🙄

toomanybikes
    Free Member

Drove past it yesterday, looks absolutely stupid, as someone said, it should say
    "WARNING BASILDON"
    But this is the place that has a sign saying Nuclear Free Zone, so the council does like to waste it's money.

ex-pat
    Free Member

How long before it's rearranged into:
    I SO BLAND

Others here

hp_source

already been done, at least the place near oldham added some comedy value by having a similar name

unsurprisingly the health and safety brigade removed it after a few days next to the M60

🙄

binners

In Essex? Surely it should have been a scaled up version of a private numberplate? More appropriate surely?

Talkemada
    Free Member

A friend of mine has just moved to Basildon. He was living 5 minutes away from his job, and will now commute daily into London, in rush hour, at a cost of £2500 a year or something mad.

Having been to Basildon (once, it was against my will), I cannot understand why he has made such a decision. if anyone can enlighten me as to why this was such a good move, I'd be very grateful.

binners

Talkemada – I couldn't agree with you more. The brother-in-law has just moved to some Essex ****-hole. He works in central London. He now endures a commute stood up on some packed train for hours a day, at an absolutely eye-watering expense.

Having been to where he lives, I thought 'if i ever end up living somewhere like this, will someone please put me out of my misery'

Baffling

Talkemada
    Free Member

Well, my mate has family in Basildon, so that's one reason (although he moans about them all the time anyway), but he was talking about it being more 'peaceful' in Basildon. Personally, I can't figure out how the stress of commuting daily, not to mention the cost, is a fair trade off for so much more 'peace'.

I would like to be kind to Basildon, but it's not great, to say the least.

Bewildering.

hels
    Free Member

Anybody reminded of the Stonehenge scene in Spinal Tap ?

molgrips
    Free Member

Talkemada – love the name by the way 🙂

swollen
    Free Member

Can opener out

Surely this money could have been better spent on a gypsy camp like the one in Wales

😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘A stunning waste of Money’ is closed to new replies.