Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • A solution to the Big Hitter issue?…
  • ohnohesback
    Free Member

By the 100th post most of the informed discussion is over so why not introduce an automatic thread lock at 100 posts? If the debate is still reasonable the thread could be reopened.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What’s the “issue” ❓

lucien

Only if Ellfisafety stays banned

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Just ignore them.

Think of them as that really boring fella in the office/pub/place of work…. you know the one, that charmless whelk that no one can stand… normally goes by the nick name of Thrush

Just post… “whatever mate, bore off”… whenever you feel yourself about to be suck in by them

scu98rkr
    Free Member

I just reckon they should have the word troll flash up next to their names. This way normal people know what they are getting into from the start of the conversation.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

What the hell is a big hitter?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

100 posts & 87 voices…

100th Post
    GOD – member
    I have just discovered the answer to life, the universe and everything – I just need to dig it out and I’ll post it in a minute…

sobriety
    Free Member

More pro-active modding. Works on some other forums that I use, people being offensive/argumentative get edited/warned/banned, and circular argument threads get closed, with a mod explaining why. Is it possible to ban people purely from the chat forum?

MrSparkle

The most interesting thread I’ve read on here for ages was the ‘adventure ride/bivvy’ one and that went way beyond 100 posts (and is hopefully still ongoing). Would have been a shame to cap that. Plus somebody would just start up ‘Thread xxx part deux’.

druidh
    Free Member

To the OP – once you see a thread at 100 posts, just don’t read it?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Is someone willing to name these big hitters?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I need to stick up for some big threads here! Notably two of mine, and one I’m involved in.

The “Cold war planes” and “STW Ski/Snowboard” threads are/were both massive and full of really good advice/opinions and banter. Ditto the current 6 Nations thread. Hell, on that latter, even TJ’s controlled himself! 😉

The problem is there, I agree, especially on anything vaguely political. I try and avoid that sort of thread now, as I realised that in posting on them I was boring myself, let alone anyone else! You’d have thought people might have had a threshold where they looked at themselves and thought, “Am I really wasting this much time arguing about geopolitical claptrap on an obscure bike forum? Why?”, wouldn’t you?

BruceWee

You could probably put a 100 post per day per person limit and most of the big hitters would be done by the time I drank my morning coffee.

Mantastic
    Free Member

I want to be a big hitter

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    The problem is there, I agree, especially on anything vaguely political. I try and avoid that sort of thread now, as I realised that in posting on them I was boring myself, let alone anyone else! You’d have thought people might have had a threshold where they looked at themselves and thought, “Am I really wasting this much time arguing about geopolitical claptrap on an obscure bike forum? Why?”, wouldn’t you?

100% agree Captain. It takes a while to get to this conclusion though because it too easy to respond to claptrap, especially when bored!! Trouble is then you can get caught in petty debates that serve now value at all. For me the recent, “save the NHS” thread was a case in point (stupidly got involved), then the current Falklands one (deliberately avoided.)

But it really is such a waste of time! Note to self – stick to bike threads only!! 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

I don’t really engage in the political threads, they do seem pointless.

Technical discussions, well I like to learn and see what other folk have to contribute, sadly, all too often it’s just “you’re wrong because I say you are”.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Im with Al. The political ones are just dull. Sometimes I read them when I can sleep, then I end up getting annoyed at certain big hitters ignoring what everybody else is saying and staying in their own bubble.

I can just see some of them sat at home doing this.

boblo
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member

It’s the description somone badly informed coined for those that make the most noise/are most opinionated and insist on banging on and on and on on banging on and on and onon banging on and on and onon banging on and on and onon banging on and on and onon banging on and on and onon banging on and on and onon banging on and on and onon banging on and on and onon banging on and on and onon banging on and on and onon banging on and on and onon banging on and on and onon banging on and on and on until everyone else gives up/dies/goes away.

HTH 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Someone who has more than 250 pages of posting history listed under their Profile?

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

I keep reading the title as Big Hitler……….

Maybe I need glasses.

hels
    Free Member

I quite enjoyed the Rugby World Cup thread. That ended extremely well !!

I miss Elfin, one the most intelligent and articulate people on here, health issues, multiple logons and all. Some folk just don’t do things in small doses. You just had to not take it personal.

hels
    Free Member

Thats quite funny, I read it as Hitler too, I think it’s the inclusion of the word “solution” making an association in your brain.

wallace1492
    Free Member

I thought it was Big Hitler too….. thought things had suddenly got out of hand, or that the Nazi moon camp was real…. 😯

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Someone who has more than 250 pages of posting history listed under their Profile?

YEEEEESSSSSSSS – I only have 76 pages.

RustySpanner

3 bans and you’re banned for life:

It’s the only language these people understand. 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

YEEEEESSSSSSSS – I only have 76 pages.

Under your current user id 🙂

druidh
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

It’s the only language these people understand.I don’t think that being banned adds to your Big Hitter status.

hels
    Free Member

Aye they’ve got you there SBZ.

I can recall glupton, smee, trollingzoofighter, there must be more !

RustySpanner

druidh – Member

Rusty Spanner – Member

It’s the only language these people understand.

I don’t think that being banned adds to your Big Hitter status.

No, but it would make this place much nicer for everyone else.

convert

I’ve got a genuine suggestion – it might even be a good one…..

The first post you make is in font size 10 then every post you make after that on the same topic is in a size smaller font. After about 5 or 6 posts on the same topic your contribution is virtually illegible unless someone really wants to go to the trouble of reading it.

Benefits to the rest of us:-

More page space given to new “voices” to the discussion

Easier to ignore the same old people who drone on and on making the same point with different arrangements of words.

Benefits to the big hitters:-
    They will have to make their first contributions more meaningful

They can still keep on contributing and getting all of that pent up anger and angst out but we don’t have to bother reading it.

They might begin to realsie that wasting vast amounts of time is pointless and find something better to do with their lives.

scuzz
    Free Member

Wait, there’s finally a BigHitter issue of Singletrack?

cynic-al
    Free Member

druidh’s history:

Pages: 1,2…225 Next »

😀

druidh
    Free Member

You think 250 was an arbitrary suggestion?

MrWoppit
    Free Member

boblo +1

cynic-al
    Free Member

but druidh, you are one of the big hitters ❓

schrickvr6
    Free Member

How about not creating threads about them further enhancing their already over-inflated sense of self worth.

hels
    Free Member

Maybe they will pop, just one wafer thin mint Mr Creosote ??

Trailseeker
    Free Member

They might begin to realsie that wasting vast amounts of time is pointless and find something better to do with their lives.

So you think they have lives?

DezB
    Free Member

Er – Tune association thread…it’s friday and i’m bored
    2558 posts & 90 voices

So it’s petered off now, but why shouldn’t threads like that and the rugby/snowboarding/my speeding fine exist?

I notice ohnohesback has not come back to defend his shit suggestion. First sign of a troll if you ask me.

GW
    Free Member

TAG sad bastards /TAG

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘A solution to the Big Hitter issue?…’ is closed to new replies.