• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Andy.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • A saddle review.
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

From the Brooks B17 page.

B17 Titanium
    I have a Brooks B17 standard (three hole) saddle which I used for 68 years. The saddle is in beautiful condition, being firm and in perfect shape. During its early years I treated it regularly with Proofide and properts white shoecream. It was first fitted to my taper-tube Selback in 1936, being subsequently transferred over the years to replacement machines, including the F.W Evans, after WW2 it adorned a Gillot, then my two George Longstaff trikes.

While on active service in the Western Dessert with the RAF in 1943 I contracted Polio. In 1944 I was invalidated from the RAF, and resumed cycling, on the same B17 saddle. I have ridden over 220 miles in a day on the B17. And also had the honour of riding in the first of the annual ?Stan Spelling? 25-mile time trial in Staffordshire. This was the only time in the 100-year history of cycle racing that a full field of 120 trikes had assembled for a time-trial. In 1997 I suffered a recurrence of Polio, and so had a lightweight trike built with an open frame. This I continued to ride, fitted with the same B17 saddle.

Unfortunately, now in my 90th year, I am unable to get on board the trike, due to the Polio. If I had a couple of strong neighbours to lift me onto the trike I could still ride it. But as it is it stands under a dustsheet, still with the original B17.

I hope you have found this of interest.

Yours sincerely

Len Levesley”

Turns out Len really knew his bikes.
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/may/31/fausto-coppi
    “In the war Coppi’s unit surrendered to the British. He cut hair in a PoW camp in Tunisia, where one soldier, London bike-shop mechanic Len Levesley, recognised him from magazines. He was afterwards known as “Holy Head” by his cycling chums.”

Poopscoop

Read all of that, great post mate.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Not the kind of post I usually read, to be honest. But I’m glad I did, very interesting. Great find, thanks for sharing.

theboatman
    Free Member

Aye, great post, thanks very much.

Andy

Brilliant Flashie. I thought my oldest B17 was doing well at nearly 20. Seems its just broken in….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘A saddle review.’ is closed to new replies.