Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • A really thick lock on grip with maybe one lock collar for bar end use?
  • seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Having a few problems with my grips. I’m using bar ends and flat bars. The problem being is that my lizard skin lock on grips the lock ring on the outer side digs into my hand when using the bar ends! Also the grips feel too thin with the bar ends. They were spot on with riser bars but when I go on the bar ends all the weight goes into one little area and that’s on the lock ring! The bit of hand left on the grip makes it feel too thin.

So basically I need a thick lock on grip with a design that uses one lock ring on the inside only. I have tried some normal non lock ons but they do my head head in. A little of damp and they are motor bike throttles twisting about!

andyl
    Free Member

cut some little recesses into your bar end so it acts like a lock-on ring and stops the grip twisting? That s what I planned to do.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I don’t think that will work to be honest as the grip also slides to the side as I like my brake levers far away from the grip so it makes its way over there!

druidh
    Free Member

Cane Creek Ergo bar-ends actually fit onto a standard ODI-style lock-ring (like Lizard Skins use). They’re very comfy in use – nice and thick.

motorman
    Free Member

Bontrager make a real nice thick one, i have then on 3 bikes, including my touring bike with bar ends, just need to cut the end cap off. I like them.

Thick grips

ChrisA
    Free Member

sunlines for me with cane creek ergo’s.

I just cut the outer bar end cap sleeve off and butt them up to the bar end, they’ve been fine just locked on with just the inner lock ons.

Stiggy

Specialized Enduro XL.

big_scot_nanny

I have the thicker superstar ones, which seem pretty good. The same as the BB ones on my other bike.

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Specialized do some. Have them on my XC bike. 1 lock on collar.2 grippatterns. one thin, one thick

(just seen above- Stiggy isright. they’re boss hog)

andyl
    Free Member

I don’t think that will work to be honest as the grip also slides to the side as I like my brake levers far away from the grip so it makes its way over there

eh? You still have the inboard lock ring of course. If the lock ring is not holding then use a bit of assembly paste.

parkesie
    Free Member

Specialized Enduro XL.

Excellent grips

theotherjonv

Giant also make a pretty thick single lock ring lock on for about £11

clubber
    Free Member

I only ever use one lockon collar (and I use bar ends too) – never had any problems so just use any lockon grip that fits your hands.

matttromans
    Free Member

Been beaten to it, but Specialized Enduro, comfy and light. Stay where they’re put with only one lock ring.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/specialized-enduro-locking-item156234.html

BigJohn

Have you tried the Ergon thingies?

100mphplus
    Free Member

The thickest normal lock on grips are Oury, but as recommended above I run Ergon grips on my xc bike which have the bar ends integrated into them and they are the comfiest grips I have ever used and solved my aches and pains from using normal grips.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

NO never tried the Ergons. Are they not a bit pricey? To the above poster the grips in question I tried were none lock ons and they slide and turn and move down the bar until it meets the brake lever clamp, where it then rests ans stays put! Lock ons with two collars solved this but I found the outer lock ring sticks in my hand with the ODI style clmaps. The spesh grips look good in thick. I will have a look for the cheapest place to buy.

binners

Another vote for the Bontragers motorman posted above. They’re brilliant. As chunky as Race Face Good’n’Evils but with the advantage of being lock ons. I’ve tried other lock ons but nothing is a patch on the Bonty’s.

I was actually planning on calling in at the LBS on the way home for some new grips (amongst other things). I’m getting a pair of the Ergons for t’other half’s bike as she doesn’t get on with her thin Sunn lock-ons. A couple of people who use them swear by them. Even if they do look a bit ‘special needs’ 😉

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Another vote for Ourys and Canre Creek Ergo bar ends.

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got those Cane Creek Ergos too, really good.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Are the spesh Enduro grips open ended or sealed at the end though?

matttromans
    Free Member

Seth – mine are open ended with separate plugs included.

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Think I might go with them or the Bonty ones. As long I don’t have to buy them from JE James cycles!

motorman
    Free Member

Ergon’s may look “special needs” but really comfy for all day rides – I use them on my fatbike which is special needs anyway… 😆
    Are pricey tho 👿

belugabob
    Free Member

How about these?
    Outland grips
    Grips with built in bar ends that are also lock rings

wallop

I have the thicker superstar ones, which seem pretty good.

+1

And they come in purdy colours!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘A really thick lock on grip with maybe one lock collar for bar end use?’ is closed to new replies.