Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A really exciting "which headset" question…
  • flyingmonkeycorps

Standard 1 & 1/8″ headset, what would you buy? I’d like sealed bearings, otherwise I’m not over fussed… Currently have an ancient RaceFace which has been grand, also had Pigs in the past which have been ace.

wwaswas

Hope or the higher end Cane Creek ones cheap from the online shops have been fine for me.

kcal

FSA Pig has worked great for me, carry on as you were!

ruggerbugger
    Free Member

Got a Hope in at the moment, superb but pricey. Had an FSA & that was fine too. Stick with the same as you have if you’re happy. 😀

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Get a King. Even buying one second hand it’ll last longer than the bike, and there should be plenty of bargains about at the moment with the standard 1 1/8 becoming less ‘standard’.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Moved hope’s between bikes. Easy and good.

Northwind

Cane Creek S3 or S8 for me- functionally identical to Hope (even uses interchangable bearings) and much cheaper

flyingmonkeycorps

Cane Creek Forty looks pretty good (don’t think they do the S3 / S8 any more) might give that a go.

I kinda see the appeal of the King and Hope, but are they really that much better than something that costs £30? My RaceFace was second hand when I got it and has lasted years!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

That depends on your definition of ‘much better’. 😉

Are they better? Almost definitely.

Is the financial difference justifiable? The difference will be a lot less marked than the difference between a £15 and £30 headset, but then you’re buying more than a headset – you’re also getting the premium back-up that goes with having a premium product.

Looking at it another way, how long do you expect to keep your bike? If it’s less than a couple of years then get a Race Face or similar. If you’re thinking that this one is a keeper, get a King or a Hope.

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah, I definitely take that point. It’s a five year old frame (well, some of it is) that’s not had the easiest life, so if it lasts me another couple of years then I’ll be more than happy. It’s hard justifying spending £100 on a headset for a frame that initially only cost me £350.

I’ve been keeping an eye out for front triangles with a 1.5″ headtube, but none have shown up and I think the RaceFace is finally on its last legs.

Andy-R

I’m using Cane Creek S8 and 110 – don’t know if they still make them though?
    Otherwise I’d choose Hope over CK.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cane Creek seem to currently do the 110, the 40 and the 10. Been the midrange kinda guy I am I’m going for the 40

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member
    flyingmonkeycorps

Cool – that’s a reet bargain, On-One have ’em for a little more too with more colours.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

Damnit, wish I’d seen that!

flyingmonkeycorps

Yet I’ve still gone for a hideous white one. There is something wrong with me I swear.

Northwind

flyingmonkeycorps – Member

I kinda see the appeal of the King and Hope, but are they really that much better than something that costs £30?

Hope are no better than CC (got both). King used to be probably the wost headset option there was, since despite superb bearings they penny-pinched the design and it could destroy your forks. That’s fixed now with new ones. But worth it? Hard to justify, the price difference would buy a lot of bearings.

flyingmonkeycorps

Or indeed headsets. And sausage rolls.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A really exciting "which headset" question…’ is closed to new replies.