Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • A quick question about football & racism
  • PrinceJohn

England captain John Terry is to attend a magistrates court over allegations of racist aduse of Anton Ferdinand on the 1st Feb.

Luis Suarez was bought up in front of the FA for allegations of racist commetns to Patrice Evra.

What I want to know is how come the FA can deal with one & the police the other? What’s the difference?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

In the case of Ferdinand/Terry, somebody complained anonymously to the Metropolitan police, who were then obliged to investigate. There appears to be substantial video evidence to support a case, so the Crown Prosecution Service then decided to prosecute. In the case of Suarez, there is no complaint from the public and no video evidence (or insufficient for a criminal prosecution).

loum
    Free Member

And yet, despite there being enough evidence and will for a criminal prosecution, the FA chose to do sweet FA against England’s Great John Terry.
    I don’t believe for one moment that it is anything to do with prejudicing the case against him. That argument could also have been applied to the Evra case and wasn’t.
    How much sponshorship money would the FA lose with a racist England captain?

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

And people wonder why I HATE football so much.

nickf
    Free Member

And yet, despite there being enough evidence and will for a criminal prosecution, the FA chose to do sweet FA against England’s Great John Terry.

I suspect it’s more that they will let the criminal case proceed, then see if there’s anything else they need to do.

CaptJon
    Free Member

lovegoinguphills – Member

How many people?

PrinceJohn

In the case of Ferdinand/Terry, somebody complained anonymously to the Metropolitan police, who were then obliged to investigate. There appears to be substantial video evidence to support a case, so the Crown Prosecution Service then decided to prosecute. In the case of Suarez, there is no complaint from the public and no video evidence (or insufficient for a criminal prosecution).

Aaah ok – sorta makes sense. So if found guilty what would Terry’s potential punishment be? Community Service? Will the FA then act & ban him for 8 games (seems to be the going rate…)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The FA will not be able to do anything without prejudicing the criminal proceedings, if all the facts are aired in public, TV, papers before any trial then how will Terry get a fair trial.

The FA must defer to the higher authority.

Once the police have finished the FA can deal with banning Terry for the duration of his time inside

PrinceJohn

I asked everyone at Old Trafford what worries keep them up at night. 43,572 said ‘Why does lovegoinguphills hate football so much’ 😉

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and this is not so much about football but society and people attitudes, there are footballers who are not racists ans some who are like a cross section of the population

RustySpanner

lovegoinguphills – Member

Nah, I reckon we’ve got a pretty good idea……… 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

😆 @ CaptJon

Perfect.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘A quick question about football & racism’ is closed to new replies.