Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A question that bugs me twice a day.
  • logical
    Free Member

The water fountain temperature starts at 5 degrees when I fill my bottle up. By the time it’s full the temperature is 14 degrees. The bottle is 2 litres so what temperature is my water?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

cool

scaredypants

way closer to 14 than 5, I imagine

why do you fill it all at once ?

qwerty
    Free Member

That’s what thermometers are for.

higgo
    Free Member

All we can say for sure is that it will be >5C.

pedalhead
    Free Member

I’m thinking the simple solution…9.5 degrees (assuming a linear decrease in temp of the water)

logical
    Free Member

way closer to 14 than 5, I imagine

why do you fill it all at once ?

Saves having to keep getting up to go fill the bottle.
    No totty on the way there so no point in making several trips 😛

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

If you assume that the bottle fills at a constant rate, and the temperature of water from the fountain rises at a constant rate, and disregard any temperature gains/losses to the bottle material and it’s surroundings, then I’m fairly sure it should be 9.5 degrees.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Saves having to keep getting up to go fill the bottle.
    No totty on the way there so no point in making several trips

Then it’s largely irrelevant as the water will warm to whatever the ambient temperature of your office is.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Try the cold tap – it’s much more reliable for delivering cold water.

glenh
    Free Member

If you assume that the bottle fills at a constant rate, and the temperature of water from the fountain rises at a constant rate, and disregard any temperature gains/losses to the bottle material and it’s surroundings, then I’m fairly sure it should be 9.5 degrees.

Correct, but I doubt those are valid assumptions (certainly the linear change in temp of the water).
    A thermometer will tell you the answer of course!

jota180
    Free Member

2 litres?

Are you using it for washing as well?

argoose
    Free Member

A question i ask myself twice a day “should I flush or show someone?”

Mantastic
    Free Member

I hope you dont touch the nozzle of the water dispenser against the opening of your bottle.

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

Forgive my ignorance but how do you know the temperature of the water at the start and end of filling?

patriotpro
    Free Member

5 degrees, the watercooler temp’ goes up because there is more air than water in it after you’ve filled your bottle.

Hence it is 5 degrees again when you refill. 😀

HermanShake
    Free Member

what temperature is my water?

So, you’re holding the bottle and the air inside it is likely to be warm (unless we’re talking about a Sigg/metal bottle) therefore if the fountain gives a reading of 14 it is likely to be warmer than this in the bottle at the end.

The room temp (sounds high if you need 4l in a working day!), way you hold the bottle, bottle material etc need to be known for a decent calculation. Also the location of the thermometer in the fountain plays a part given the air issue mentioned above!

The real question is; “what tyres for occupational thermodynamics?” And what argoose said.

logical
    Free Member

Forgive my ignorance but how do you know the temperature of the water at the start and end of filling?

We have a digital display on our fountains! How techy is that!?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A question that bugs me twice a day.’ is closed to new replies.