• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 years ago by GW.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • A question of weight – wheels, brakes, forks
  • Giallograle

My son had a medium Stiffee a couple of years ago which I built with spare parts. Now he’s 18 he’s asked for another bike. Since the medium Stiffee was great fun but too small for me I’ve scored a large Stiffee frame in the expectation that this time we’ll both ride it.

However I’m around 70kg fully loaded, whereas he’s about 115kg at the last weigh-in, and an inch or two taller. Fortunately he doesn’t seem to have quite clocked this….

He doesn’t ride hard, although I might, and the bike should get his weight down but when I got the calculator out I realised I’d need heavier kit than I’m used to.

An SLX groupset takes care of the drivetrain – probably switch chain for Sram and shifters for Sram X0 gripshift.

My XC FS bike has Mavic XM819 UST wheels – the heavier-duty bike has DT Swiss 5.1 tubeless wheels (they were a bit of a pain to seal with DT’s kit but allow wider tyres). I prefer tubeless so I’ll probably transfer the 819s and get myself some new lightweight wheels. Maybe Stans ZTR Crest for my XC bike.

I might take the coil Pikes from my Ventana X5 and fit a stiffer spring – or get an air shock for the Stiffee so we can switch easily.

Lastly disk brakes – The Stiffee’s going to need bigger rotors than my usual 160s, but what size? CRC have a good offer on the Formula Oro K18s with 160mm rotors – but those rotors are surely too small? Actionsports.de have an offer on a pair of Formula Megas with 200mm rotors for Eur 189, or see what people are selling here – Maguras, Formulas or Shimano?

I’ll get secondhand kit to cut the cost. So suggestions please – what air shocks, brakes and rotors will get the best out of the Stiffee?

GW
    Free Member

He’s quite a bit too heavy for even an X-firm pike spring IMO (@ 90kg I only just got away with an X-firm)

if you want to keep the weight down, retain good stiffness and have an adjustable spring for you to both use you probably can’t beat a 20mm dual air Reba (I recently switched from a slammed coil Pike to a 20mm reba on my hardtail, it’s 2lb lighter than the Pike was and I’m still confident it’s upto riding DH and jumping).

you’re going to need to run the tubeless a lot higher pressure for him too.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘A question of weight – wheels, brakes, forks’ is closed to new replies.