Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • A question for yorkshire riders……….
  • wilde86
    Free Member

haha lancashire can keep todmorden 😉 Ilkley moor is a playground, from the cow and calf towards white wells. Hebdden Bridge, has plenty of nice descents. Stanni’s drop and a couple of cheekies from Hep are my favourites.

Plenty of nice descent lines down Otley chevin too.

Up in the Dales: Buckden, Arncliffe and Embsey are great, but a cheeky one down Ingleborough is my favourite.. but its a loooong climb up!

Mugboo

Cheeky ingleborough? Sounds interesting..

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Which cheeky Ingleborough one? There’s about 4 on there!

wilde86
    Free Member

The descent down back into Clapham from the summit, that takes you down past the Caves 🙂

didmatt
    Free Member

NY moors,

Chop gate > tripsdale > cockayne > west gill head > blosworth crossing > Urra Moor > Bilsdale hall > Chop gate.

chestrockwell

Pretty sure half of Tosside is in Yorkshire so Gisburn ‘just about’ passes. If so Hully Gully is a right laugh imo.

Other favourites have been mentioned:

Top of Skipton Moor, through the woods to Shortbank road.
    Decent from Malham Tarn area to Carlton.

Add to the list:

High point of Barden Moor, continuing across the road and down to Halton East.
    Mastiles Lane running down to Kilnsey.

Sancho
    Free Member

Bingley has some of the best descents in yorkshire.
    stainburn not bad
    Ilkley Moor has good stuff scattered about, the best is down to the Hermit from the Huts.
    If you want rocks and are shit hot then Beamsley Beacon has the best tech descent.
    Escholt is the best place for short runs.
    The Dales is good but not tech, except that one that drops down to Starbotton.

ton

didmatt – Member
    NY moors,

Chop gate > tripsdale > cockayne > west gill head > blosworth crossing > Urra Moor > Bilsdale hall > Chop gate.

that looks a tough but cracking little route.
    bet it is nice after a lot of hot weather.

grum
    Free Member

Just registering my interest in this thread – think I’m going to be moving to Calderdale in the next few months so good to have confirmed there is lots there. I like the sound of this cheeky Stoodley Pike descent 🙂

justme
    Free Member

Ton as you well know the best decent in yorkshire is windy hill on the M62 gets you back to lancs really quickly G 😉

amasaback
    Free Member

Technically the whole of Gisburn Forest, including Tosside is still in the West Riding of Yorkshire as I’m led to believe the historical counties still exist. Under the new administrative counties, half of Tosside is administered by North Yorkshire, the other half (including Gisburn Forest) is under Lancashire’s administration. I only know this because I’m from Tosside.

grum
    Free Member

Yeah supposedly Barrow in Furness is still technically in Lancashire – Furness used to be known as Lancashire Beyond the Sands or something.

When they changed the administration areas they said the old counties would still exist, but most people have forgotten about it by now.

didmatt
    Free Member

ton – Member

didmatt – Member
    NY moors,

that looks a tough but cracking little route.
    bet it is nice after a lot of hot weather.

[/quote]

It is pretty tough going, a good all day ride but the views are cracking whilst on the tops and the descents certainly make up for the hard going ups. Last time i did the route was on my Spec’ SX trail too, just alittle over biked.

The last descent is sweet, one of my favs in the part of the NY moors.

View from the descent into Bilsdale Hall;

unstableJ
    Free Member

While we’re being geographically correct you can have the northerly descent of Cut Gate as it’s in Barnsley, but not the decsent to Slippery Stones as that’s in Derbyshire!

Blacka Moor’s descents count too as they are in Sheffield as is the top of Burbage, but not Stanage (Derbyshire again!) 😉

failedengineer

Can’t believe no-one’s mentioned the Pennine way down to Hardraw off Gt Shunner Fell.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

grum – the Stoodley descent is just launch yourself straight off the front of the hill. Its good but quite short. Better to keep heading west through the rock garden, then out to the reservoir I can’t remember the name of, then to another I can’t remember the name of, around that, around the old reservoir and then DIVE DIVE DIVE! Ace descent. And a pub at the bottom.

ton

one of my own fave’s is the descent from the top of Gunnerside gill all the way down to the electric gate at feetham?
    bit rocky to start, then fast singletrack, then mega fast cropped grass.
    fantastic downhill.

failedengineer

Yep, The electric gate descent must be one of the best anywhere. Plus, I forgot the fabulous descent off Fremington Edge.

mbr30
    Free Member

Where abouts does the Pack Horse Road start from Wesseden? Can’t seem to make it out on google earth. Cheers.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So thats a good descent is it? I could make that into an alldayer from mine quite easily…

djen83
    Free Member

The Packhorse trail should not be confused with Wessendon, they’re both descents that end in Marsden but that is the only similarity. Anybody could ride down Wessendon, its really tame.

mbr30
    Free Member

Not quite in the downhill category but I had a good evening blast around Scammonden Water tonight. That and Copley Woods/Norland are my local single tracks but need to find more! Will try the Pack Horse Road very soon and combine it with some Marsden canal paths

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Probly be doing the Gunnerside descent (again) on Saturday, not down the tarmac at the end though, head along the wall to Barf End then down the singletrack to the leccy gate. Lovely!

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘A question for yorkshire riders……….’ is closed to new replies.