Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • A question for people that know about fitness and stuff like that.
  • alexathome
    Free Member

Why is it that if i’m quite fit i get all out of breath and feel exhausted when walking up a few steps, yet i can still run 20k and ride o.k.? It’s just every so often, but cheast feels tight, and i just want to have a sit down. It seems to happan when i’m actually fitter than normal. Is this normal or am going to die in a few weeks or something?

bighendo
    Free Member

have you made a will yet?

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Go to the doctor. You may well be developing Angina. I suffered from a variety known as “Warm up” Angina, where initial exertion causes tightness/pain across the chest/throat/arm, but once warmed up the pain subsides. This, despite being fitter than a butchers dog all my life.
    Get it checked out. The NHS treat chest pains very seriously, and should check you out pretty quickly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

I get out of breath on stairs too, despite being reasonably fit on the bike. No pains though.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Do you do much in the way of anaerobic stuff on the bike?

psychle
    Free Member

I get out of breath on stairs too, despite being reasonably fit on the bike.

Same here… I think it’s because walking/climbing up the stairs in anaerobic, whereas riding is aerobic (unless you’re sprinting/climbing hills)… different kind of fitness right?

dobo
    Free Member

strange world isnt it. I walk up 3 flights of stairs a few times a day at work and dont get out of breath so could just be that your not used to it. my cycle fitness is ok but no way i could run 20k at the moment, 10k max for me. tight chest doesnt sound right? might be worth a checkup at the docs

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pretty much all aerobic.

Psychle you are a self confessed fatty!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

First 6 mins or so of exercise uses the anaerobic system. So if you are doing pretty much all aerobic exercise then you wont have much in the way of anaerobic caapacity. Might explain a thing or two for Cynic-Al.

As for Alexathome, I’d go and get that checked out. Could be pretty much anything from mental health to asthma to nothing much at all.

TooTall
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

I get out of breath on stairs too, despite being reasonably fit on the bike. No pains though.

Is that from the exertion of shagging or the excitement because it is on TJ’s stairs?

alexathome
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies guys, maybe i should get to the doctors then?

An example of how the effect is: at work there is a short flight of stairs, one story. Half way up i’m tired, at the top i’m out of breath and can hardly talk. But yesterday i did a 15km of road run with about 2000 feet of climbing, descending without any issues (except dodgy knees)

I ride mostly single speed off road, and i used to do a lot of road miles, not so much now. I am going pretty well and do some anaerobic work at the gym. But thinking about it it is when i start anaerobic work that i feel the tightness in the chest. Or at the very start of a ride, i just want to give up until i’m warmed up.

So the upshot is then that i should get to the doctors then?

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

I would go to the docs.

alexathome
    Free Member

Surrounded By Zulus – Member
    I would go to the docs.

That was sound advice Zulu’s I ended up in hostpital for 2 days strapped to an ECG and on a drip (god knows why, i’d had 3 cups of tea) I went in to get a spider bite checked, that had gone manky and they took my pulse (39BPM) that’s when they looked concerned, I’m sure that it shouldn’t of been that low, as i had just walked 2km there and as i was faint too. Bit wierd for a non-athlete type.

I’m lungs were crap, poor peak flow and still had the chest pains. Still no idea what’s wrong with me, they took a CAT scan too, although they didn’t tell me why, i would of thought a chest x-ray would of been more use, but then i’m not a doctor.

I’ve got some inhalers now, see if that helps?

So….. if in doubt go to the doctors i guess!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘A question for people that know about fitness and stuff like that.’ is closed to new replies.