Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • A question about neoprene gloves.
  • jimjam
    Free Member

Alright then. Tonight i tried on some Castelli Deluvio (or some such) gloves, which are the first neoprene bike gloves I’ve bothered to try. I usually tough it out through winter with normal bike gloves, or for those nights when I must go out in a downpour I have some sealskin gloves which I hate but….needs must and all that. I was really impressed with the fit and the feel of the gloves, as opposed to a baggy feeling, heavy, lined glove as I really like to have a good feel of my controls, but the idea of my hands swimming in a little sweaty pouch doesn’t sound great.

My questions are as follows – has anyone any experiences of using neoprene gloves on their mtb?

And, would these gloves (or similar) be tough enough to withstand the not inconsiderable rigors of my rigorous mountainbiking? They did feel a bit fragile.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I used to use neoprene glove all the time when doing motorcycle enduros ……..would get much more of a hammering than on a MTB ………..no problem with them at all ..

Scott neoprene gloves if I remember rightly

razor

Don’t know if they are formally neoprene, but I’m using Altura Nightvision gloves on night rides (obviously). I don’t think they are MTB-specific, but they have been great for me.

sambob
    Free Member

Nick Craig recommended I use them, so they must be pretty good. although he’s probably not as sweaty as most people.

ads678

I’m using some Endura windproof ones at the moment. Kind of neoprene, and they seem to work pretty well. keep my hand warm and quite dry as well surpringly. Seem pretty well made as well.

Think they might be Endura Dexter or someat.

jimjam
    Free Member

ads678
    I’m using some Endura windproof ones at the moment. Kind of neoprene, and they seem to work pretty well. keep my hand warm and quite dry as well surpringly. Seem pretty well made as well.

Think they might be Endura Dexter or someat.

I know the ones you are talking about as I was also trying those too, but they are completely different, the castelli ones are just pure neoprene it would seem, no other fabric, barely anything other than rubber grippy stuff on the palm, quite different construction from virtually any other bike glove I’ve tried, more like a wet suit glove, but with a much better fit. Might just have to buy them and see.

ads678

I actually have a pair proper neoprene gloves from about 10 years ago that are just like the ones you tried on. I remember they were warm but they were too small for me and very purple so they’ve not been worn for a while!!

brant
    Free Member

I went out in my bodyboarding neoprene gloves on Sunday for an hour on the road bike in the wind and rain.
    They were great! Caught my mate up who had some £80 Rapha gloves on and she said she had frozen fingers.
    Mine were about £10 from Dick Athlons.

jimjam
    Free Member

Interesting feedback guys. I think I will have to (reluctantly) buy some when payday comes around again. And here was me thinking all I needed was an Endura Helium and some sealskin socks and maybe a few more base layers to get me through winter.

Just one thing to clear up though

brant

I went out in my bodyboarding neoprene gloves on Sunday for an hour on the road bike in the wind and rain.
    They were great! Caught my mate up who had some £80 Rapha gloves on and she said she had frozen fingers.

Did you at any stage feel like your fingers/hands were swimming about, or did you lose sensitivity of grip on the bars because of that? It actually says on the description the Castelli ones are not in any way breathable and your hands will sweat, but it’ll be cosy, like a kangaroos pouch.

lipseal
    Free Member

I got these few weeks ago, they work for me but not tried them in the rain yet TBH
    GLOVES

IvanDobski
    Free Member

once they’re warm don’t take them off for anything. I’ve got some extremities neoprene gloves and they’re nice and warm right up until I forget I’m wearing them and take them off for a minute do something, then they rapidly become very cold and difficult to warm up again.

nealglover
    Free Member

I wear neoprene gloves for work in winter, working outdoors and I have my hands in and out of cold water all day and they keep my hands toasty warm.

But, as above, don’t take them off until you are finished, they are really hard to warm up again once they are cold !!

ask1974
    Free Member

Morning Jimjam, bought some two weeks ago and posted here

Went out last Saturday morning during the cold snap and was massively impressed. First time I’ve ridden in the cold and not had problems with my hands. Not too sweaty and very, very comfortable. Highly recommended.

brant
    Free Member

Did you at any stage feel like your fingers/hands were swimming about, or did you lose sensitivity of grip on the bars because of that? It actually says on the description the Castelli ones are not in any way breathable and your hands will sweat, but it’ll be cosy, like a kangaroos pouch.

No. They were fab. I used to have some Specialized neoprene ones ages and ages ago.
    They had a leather-ish palm and were very loose fitting. They were’nt warm.
    These were very close fitting. Snug. That’s what you would look for in a wet suit and I guess same applies to a glove. Loose wetsuits are freezing. They need to be tight.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘A question about neoprene gloves.’ is closed to new replies.