• This topic has 37 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by oink1.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • A Prius for the Missus ?
  • Sundayjumper

Has anyone here run a Prius ? We’re thinking of getting one for the missus. Spending up to £10k, which looks like it buys us a nice 2010-ish “T Spirit” model. It’ll get used for her commute of about five miles each way and other local trips. It won’t need to be used on the motorway but I understand they’re not totally awful if you do ? Anything specific to look out for ?

I’ll have an estate car, so the Prius wouldn’t need to do bikes & other load lugging.

dashed
    Free Member

I’ve had one as a hire car a few times lately. I end up with a lot of hire cars, including the occasional hybrid (some other model of Toyota – Arius maybe??) and generally have no issues. But the Prius is, without doubt, the worst thing I’ve driven for a long time.

Nothing to do with hybrid / battery etc, it’s just thoroughly unpleasant to drive. Very limited rear visibility, nothing is intuitive, controls all seem in the wrong place, it beeps at you like a wagon when reversing – I could go on… Just horrid on every level. I was speaking to the hire car company yesterday about something and the chap was banging on about how they can’t wait to get rid of them from the fleet as everyone who hires them hates them.

5lab

I’ve also had a prius as a hire car, I don’t think they’re that bad to drive – I mean they’ve got light control weights, and the controls (wierd gearbox thing, handbrake) take a little getting used to, but I think you’d get used to that. My main issue (second hand) is the cost of the things. Taken like for like with an auris (which would appear to be the closest sized thing from toyota) – 2010 with 60,000 miles is £4k on a auris vs £8k on a prius. Regardless of the fuel economy benefits, I can’t see that being worthwhile

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Uber anyone???

matt_outandabout

Taken like for like with an auris (which would appear to be the closest sized thing from toyota) – 2010 with 60,000 miles is £4k on a auris vs £8k on a prius. Regardless of the fuel economy benefits, I can’t see that being worthwhile.

+1

Sundayjumper

dashed / 5lab – what do you drive normally, for comparison ?

We’re not wedded to the idea of a Prius (or any hybrid for that matter), they just seemed intriguing from the tech side and a bit different to anything we’ve had before. And having seen how many are taxis in London I figured they must be pretty reliable too. Second choice if we persevere with the hybrid idea would be an Ampera but they’re still a bit expensive.

dashed
    Free Member

Fair point – if it was your only car you’d get used to the controls. But if you drive multiple cars then I’d find it frustrating. Daft gearbox as mentioned, weird handbrake as a 3rd pedal (where the clutch would be – so not that safe if you’re used to driving a manual the rest of the time and go to dip the clutch coming in to a junction!!)…

legend
    Free Member

5 mile commute? Isn’t the STW answer that she should be cycling?

dashed
    Free Member

Sundayjumper – I drive a Defender! But am in hire cars most weeks, often have A Class Mercs, Golfs, the odd Peugeot, Vauxhall etc and, as I say, another Toyota hybrid model a few times which I’ve no problem with – the controls in that seem more “normal” and just easier to jump in and drive. It took me 10 mins (no exaggeration) to get the handbrake off the Prius this week as someone had jammed it on too hard, which seems easy to do as it’s a heavy-ish pedal that you push on and push again to get off. Push it too hard first time and it runs out of travel, so you can’t press it any further to release the ratchet thingy.

As I say, no issue with the principle of hybrid – you never notice the thing going between battery and engine, it’s just the drive-ability I don’t like. Test drive one and see what you think…

Sundayjumper

5 mile commute? Isn’t the STW answer that she should be cycling?

It’s for the missus. Zero chance of getting her to cycle to work !

Sundayjumper

Test drive one and see what you think…

That’s the plan for the weekend. We’ve only just started considering one of these so I’m still in “using work time for car research” mode until we get a chance to try one IRL.

midlifecrashes

MX5

simon_g

I like them. They’re very relaxing to drive in traffic. They work on the traditional Japanese idea of quality (everything will probably work forever), not the German one (doors that clunk nicely, soft-touch buttons, squashy dashboards). Fine on the motorway, especially in the SE where you’re never at 70 for long.

Some people don’t like the CVT-style transmission, with no link between revs and speed. If you like to floor it and get a baaarrrp-baaarrrp-baaarrrp through the gears then it won’t do that.

Uber and other private hire means the prices seem to stay pretty firm. As said, the Auris is generally better value to buy, Yaris too (uses the 1.5l drivetrain from the gen2 Prius).

Else as a 2nd car for commuting and local trips I’d probably be spending £7k or so on an early Nissan Leaf without the battery lease.

Sundayjumper

Needs to (sometimes) carry two adults + a toddler so MX5 is out, and CR-Z although it looks quite swish is probably a bit small.

Only looking at Jap cars because of the hybrid tech. We’d otherwise stick with German. Currently BMW / VW owners.

Pook

Sounds like a fair swap

hora
    Free Member

I quite like them. Would never buy a diesel and they are quite unusually styled. I always thought the interior had a sort of 80’s modern/futurist take.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I get loads of rides in the back of these, really harsh ride and don’t forget people walking out in front of you in urban areas as there is no noise.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have an older one. I do like it even though the newer ones are much better. It’s supremely easy to drive, and my wife loves it for that reason. I like the new ones even better.

However it’s much more car than required for that usage. Yaris hybrid.

Kryton57

hora – Member
    I quite like them. Would never buy a diesel and they are quite unusually styled. I always thought the interior had a sort of 80’s modern/futurist take.

Every possible piece of information you need to justify buying something else.

hora
    Free Member

Well it wouldn’t be German.

CountZero

For a five-mile commute, if it wasn’t for the fact that a toddler has to be carried, I’d say get a Smart fourtwo; much easier to park, loads of space inside, at 6′ I can’t touch the pedals if I push the seat right back, and they’re remarkably quick once they’re going, I had 85 out of one going uphill to the Tormarton interchange on the M4, and that was according to my satnav.
    Perfect city car, maybe you could just stuff the kid in the luggage space behind the seats…
    😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yaris Hybrid would be my suggestion they are excellent little-big cars (I see molgrips suggested the same based on your usage)
    The Auris seems rather unloved and I hear the drive is a bit meh but if its anything like the two other Toyotas I’ve owned (Yaris and Rav4) then it’ll be a great everyday car too

5lab

for a 5 mile commute pure electric might work? Broadspeed are knocking out brand new leafs at £14,000 (half price) – stretches your budget a little but the fuel savings might pay off?

MoreCashThanDash

Given that my Prius owning mate delighted in telling me his mpg was the same as my Octavia, I know where I’d spend the money.

ados
    Free Member

After reading your first post I thought Yaris Hybrid too so I’ll third the suggestionI

mikey74
    Free Member

I know the OP is asking about a Prius, but my parents have just bought a nearly new, hybrid Yaris and really like it.

They took us for a drive in it a week or two ago and it was quiet, really comfortable, loads of room in the back, seamless transition between electric and petrol motors, went well, handled well.

They’ve only had it a short time, so no long-term issues as yet, but initially very positive.

Their other car is a LR Freelander 2 SD4, and the Yaris replaced a Jeep Cherokee. My mum uses it for local journeys and the odd trip to see her mum in Bristol.

dudeofdoom

if its SmartFor2 and lastgen its gotta be 1litre turbo jobby though 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

Honda Insights are a good alternative as they are much cheaper. They weren’t marketed strongly so didn’t sell well compared to the Prius but are essentially the same thing.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201607075625868/sort/atcustom/radius/1501/make/honda/model/insight/price-to/10000/page/1/adPos/1/postcode/sk137dq/usedcars

winston
    Free Member

We bought an Auris estate. Just over 2 years old meant it had almost 3 years toyota warranty. Cost 12k with 25k miles My wife has an urban commute of 20 miles each way rarely going over 50mph and she gets around 60mpg. We took it to Italy loaded up for a family holiday with roofbox and bikes on roof, 2 children etc and it averaged 45 mpg over 2000 miles but that was mainly at autoroute speeds. It struggled over alpine passes.

You have to drive it slowly – the cvt box doesn’t like hard acceleration but then neither of us is interested in driving like a teenager so that doesn’t matter.

Loads of room in the boot but back seats are cramped especially if you have the glass roof. Front seats are suprisingly comfortable and it ours is top spec model so it has enough toys to keep you happy. Sat nav is just about good enough.

proper roofrails mean a roofrack is easy to fit even with a glass roof but its not rated for towing so fitting a rear mounted bike rack is a pain.

I think it looks way better than a Prius and in white with the black roof looks quite smart.

Wife is very happy with it and the Hybrid part works very well. It was all about emissions and fuel economy with us – Hybrids work very well in certain circumstances like an urban commute and with no road tax it will hopefully work out a cheap car to run

Edit: has a proper handbrake too.

molgrips
    Free Member

My mother in law has an insight. Really nothing like a Prius. Cheaper more basic car, and the hybrid drivetrain is a lot simpler and less of a difference between that and a normal car. Also very very short rear seats so even tall kids would struggle for head and shoulder room.

its not rated for towing so fitting a rear mounted bike rack is a pain.

You can get the Thule bike rack bracket that is like a towbar but with no tow ball, so it doesn’t fall foul of type approval. Seen them in the US and Germany, might be hard to get here though.

Given that my Prius owning mate delighted in telling me his mpg was the same as my Octavia

The more urban the drive the greater the difference with hybrids. Both my ten year old cars can get just over 60 on long runs, however on the school run the Passat gets about 38 whereas the Prius is still on 54.

Would be even better with a new Yaris hybrid too.

Sundayjumper

The fuel consumption is not the main selling point for us. From a quick calc, for her use, the difference between 40mpg & 60mpg is less than five quid a week. I’m of the view that if £5 can make or break your cashflow for the week, maybe you should reconsider the wisdom of buying a car in the first place !

Auris estate looks OK, it’s a bit more expensive than the Prius but might be more practical. Our local Toyota dealer has both in stock so I’ll try and get down there at the weekend.

Thanks everyone 🙂

Kryton57

Try a Nissan Note? i recently test drove one and it was quite good, a little lacking in interior quality but had a long rang – 175m? – and I was told there will be a longer range version soon to compete with Tesla,

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

With a 5 mile commute, you’re a prime contender to buy something moderately old, with an enormous engine. The absurd economy will make no odds on 50 miles a week. Something with a big V8 should do.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^ 🙂

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

As a Yaris hybrid owner it is without doubt the most boringly reliable car we have ever owned and because of that reason it is bloody brillant wife uses it during the week for work and her job means lots of cross town travel in 30/40mph limits fill it up once every two weeks (£25) had it a couple years now and the local Toyota dealer is trying to tempt us with a good trade in deal and to be fair we probably will

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Mrs DB has a Toyota iQ which is brilliant.

When I came to replace my diesel Peugeot estate (which felt like it was about to fall apart from day 1) I decided to avoid a) diesel and b) French cars.
    Somehow ended up with an old (gen 2) Prius.
    Prius is a much better car. Feels like it will last forever.
    Can take longer loads than the estate it replaced; can fit any of the bikes in with both wheels on.
    My commute is 80 miles a day, so cheap to tax, insure and run means more £ for bikes (unless Mrs DB is reading this). Really strong residuals are a good thing, especially because they run forever; I can run it for 3 years and not lose nearly as much when it is time to change again.

Great in traffic and quiet too. Not fast though.
    Battery only option (for about a mile) means you can arrive or leave at unsociable hours without waking the entire neighbourhood.
    Unless your brakes squeal like mine.

oink1
    Free Member

Sundayjumper – Member
    Has anyone here run a Prius ? We’re thinking of getting one for the missus

😯 Why you treat the woman you love this way???

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘A Prius for the Missus ?’ is closed to new replies.