Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • A night out in Bristol
  • lunge

I’m meeting up with some old uni mates in Bristol next weekend and would welcome some advice on where is good to go out. I don’t know the area at all but do know we’re staying in the Premier Inn in the town centre.

I was hoping to find some interesting pubs and bars with good beer and music then perhaps a club (or more lively bar) for later. It needs to cater for a slightly older (early ish 30’s) and less chavvy clientele than the standard Oceana/Tiger Tiger fare that I have an active dislike of. If anyone knows Birmingham, then a bar like The Yardbird or The Jam House would be very interesting.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mintman
    Free Member

The Apple (known as the Cider Boat) is worth a visit for a pint or 2 of gut-rot 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Stay away from; Corn st and the Waterfront then. Pure chav. Have a walk up park street and go in some of the bars there, up onto the triangle and possibly into po na na or joe publics. Either that or into Clifton village (evertything closes at 11 up there though) or Whiteladies rd, which should be OK.

jonny2x4
    Free Member

Corn street and the waterfront can be a bit hen/stag infested but there are a few places around there that are worth going to. No1 Harbourside is good, or for a group The Lanes is worth a visit on the weekend for some dancing.

Other than that get yourself up to Stokes Croft, the full moon and the attic bar which is pretty much right next to the Premier Inn has a great courtyard now with good music in the evenings.

supersaiyan
    Free Member

Big chill bar, then start the bus or Mr wolf’s if you’re in the centre, but if you’re up at the triangle, the woods is a must: huge whisky collection and stays open silly late.

CountZero

There’s always the Thekla.

scaled
    Free Member

Best cocktails in the country at the woods (top of Park St) there used to be a shady little pool club/shisha bar across the road that was good for a little smoke after you’ve nearly killed yourself on two for one cocktails during happy hour (5-7 i think it is, weekdays at least)

http://www.viewbristol.co.uk/pubsandbars/the-woods-info-49669.html

deluded
    Free Member

What wrecker says.

wrecker
    Free Member

I don’t go out in town too much now, but one of my favorite places is the Bristol ram then into elbow room for a game of pool, maybe woods then goldbrick.
    The big chill’s pretty good but perilously close to corn st (and Hartcliffes finest youngsters, cidered right up).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Be very, very wary of anyone with an Irish accent.

😉

deluded
    Free Member

To be honest – I’ve got to the age where the city centre feels me with utter dread. The upper end of Park Street is close enough to the seething masses and the vomittorium that is ‘kebab corner’ by the Hippodrome.

If I’m out in Bristol it will be The Mall, The Clifton, The Coronation Tap or The Albion – all up in Clifton … or my old haunt Bocabar on the Bath Road but that’s a bit isolated for a lads night out.

scaled
    Free Member

If it’s all a bit much for you in town you can take a stroll down to North Street for some of Bedminster/Southvilles finest graffiti and cider.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

As above, I tend to steer clear of Corn St/Harbourside these days. There are some exceptions – Apple, Rummer.

Get yourselves into the Corry Tap in Clifton and see what happens….

Gloucester Road is a good bet, especially where you’re staying

wrecker
    Free Member

Last time I went into the albion, it was neary £6 for a pint of ale. Nice place but I despise cliftonites far more than I do chavs.
    Love bocabar though and canteen in stokes croft. The moon and the eclipse are more trustafarian than rastafarian these days. Wasn’t always the way.

deluded
    Free Member

wrecker,

The Albion is a bit exxy that’s for sure. And there’s a risk of bumping into a coiffured doughnut wearing red jeans, polo short with upturned collars, obligatory sweater draped over their shoulders and yellow crocs 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

coiffured doughnut wearing red jeans, polo short with upturned collars, obligatory sweater draped over their shoulders and yellow crocs

AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH…………..*BOOF*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Plenty of good spots for a night out for the more mature group of gentlemen.

For a big group meal, Mud Dock is quite good…lovely views over the floating harbour. Not cheap enough to be populated by arseholes, but not expensive enough to make your eyes water.

I’d also echo going to No. 1 Harbourside; there are often live bands in there (they’re on twitter if you use that) and DO NOT leave with trying Southville Hop – beware, at 6.7%, you might want to stop at two. The only thing, is that it’s in close proximity to some right shitholes.

The Shakespeare just around from the Mud Dock is also nice for a few beers, though seating can be a bit of nightmare.

Hmmm…where else…

Canteen in Stokes Croft is also excellent but gets very busy.

Further up Gloucester Road is the Bristol Flyer which has excellent beers and food too.

Soooo…if I was organising the evening, I’d go:

Group Meal Mud Dock
    Shakespeare for one.
    Across the footbridge to No. 1 Harbourside for a Southville Hop (or two if you skip the Shakespeare)
    Then either:
    5 minute walk to top of Park Street to Woods (stays open quite late)
    or Taxis to Canteen (likely queues to get in) or further up to Bristol Flyer (stays open till 1230 I think at the weekends).
    If you stay around Canteen, there’s the world of late bars with plenty of shenanigans.

Personally, I’d avoid Whiteladies Road.
    Joe Publics is now known as Pam Pams again I think…a large group of you might struggle to get in there though if it’s late.

scaled
    Free Member

I love how people are saying the woods ‘stays open quite late’

Is it not still open to 6am anymore? 😀

lunge

Brilliant stuff, thanks all. There are only 4 of us and so I’m hoping we won’t count as a “group”.

jimilindley
    Free Member

No 1 harbourside
    The Apple
    King Street (Landogger and The Old Duke: live jazz)
    The Canteen
    Goldbrick if you dont mind expensive drinks
    A few places around the arches/Glos Road

Edric64
    Free Member

Go th the Highbury vaults at the top of St Michaels Hill by the B R I and work your way down there are some good pubs there

theotherjonv

seems a few Bristolians on here. Can i briefly hijack – what are the must sees / dos for me and the family next week? 2 girls; 6 and 8 and the wife. SS Great Britain gets good write ups, but looks quite pricey – is it worth it? Pete’s Pirate tours seems to add some of Bristol past historical context. What else?

Would be a day trip, we’re staying nearer to bath so needs to be worth the drive over and already sorted to do longleat, bath itself, and a few other bits and bobs.

petefromearth

Wherever you go, any night out in bristol should end up at the Magic Roll at the top of park street. You knows it!

mrsi
    Free Member

The rummer is an excellent choice, if a bit steep to hang around in for too long, the bar at mud dock’s quite nice too.

Mr Wolfs, Start the Bus and the Big Chill are probably the best of the crop in the town centre.

If you want proper beer, the Ram on park street’s not bad, the three tuns just of college green is excellent and does a mean pork pie to boot, plus it’s well placed to head up to the woods after, then onto magic roll / the van of death at the top of the hill for obligatory salty meat based snacks.

mboy
    Free Member

Went out in Brizzle on Friday for a mates leaving do (he’s going east sadly!), ended up in Start the Bus. Was dragged in there a couple of years ago for some nasty thrash metal/emo/screamo (note my lack of understanding) night and left with the feeling of “nice venue, they need to put a decent night on there though”. Last Friday night was totally different!

2 Young lads were DJing, they were without doubt the best DJ’s I’ve seen play in a long time. I’m including all sorts of big names in there too. Played a montage of all sorts, mainly with a break-beat, some house, but taking influences from as far back as the 20’s, some awesome mixes of 60’s, 70’s and 80’s favourites, and some nice touches on a few house classics too, all mixed in with more contemporary stuff. It’s very rare that as a DJ myself, I’m surprised how good other DJ’s are, these two lads had it though… And it was free to get in! Top night had by all…

CountZero

Colston Yard at the junction of Colston Street and Upper Maudlin Street is a really nice pub, used to be Smiles Brewery Tap. Excellent beer served there.
    Zero Degrees just over the road is ok, but a bit echoey and noisey, and tends to attract the loud younger end of the drinking market. Good beer, though

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Ss great Britain is well worth it. And your ticket is valid for a year.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Zero Degrees – avoid unless you want a massive disappointment. Maybe, just maybe, have a glass of mango beer but other than that, utter shite.

CountZero

dd, that’s why I choose to go to Colston Yard after a gig at the Cols’nall or O2 Academy. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Colston Yard is ok for sure CZ…not quite the character that it had when it was the brewery tap for Smiles. I just fear that for the OP’s needs, it’s a bit out of the way for a “city tour”. I remember when ZeroDegrees was being built and thinking it sounded like a great idea. However, it was a bit of a let down the few times I visited. 😉

I will say though, that I’m happy for them to be allowed to run the bars for the Harbourfest ad infinitum…if only for the mango beer. 😀

wallop

Zero Degrees – avoid unless you want a massive disappointment. Maybe, just maybe, have a glass of mango beer but other than that, utter shite.

+1

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘A night out in Bristol’ is closed to new replies.