Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • A Newtonmore question…
  • jimster
    Free Member

off up there in a couple of weeks, is it worth taking the bike up there?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

yes

j_me
    Free Member

Yes.

jimster
    Free Member

Would anyone care to expand on “Yes”, what can i expect ot find up there, any suggested routes?

StirlingCrispin

Yes.
    I rode to Laggan, did a couple of laps and then rode back via Glen Banchor.
    Superb day out!

https://picasaweb.google.com/stirlingcrispin/GlenBanchor

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Laggan not far away for a trail centre. A nice ride over to glen feshie and carn ban mor if you want. corryairack perhaps. Larig Grhu, burma road, rothimurcus. the list is endless.

Have a seach on here you should find some routes or email me if MMO / GPx is any good

j_me
    Free Member

Inshriach Forest is really close. A good collection of trails and single track.

jimster
    Free Member

Cheers all for the info – looks like Mrs J won’t be seeing much of me during this fortnight.

montylikesbeer

One of the best natural rails areas in the country and laggan on the doorstep as others have said

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

As above really. Laggan on your doorstep, the whole of the Cairngorms with 15 mins drive for a lot of the best natural riding in the UK. Ft William less than an hour away.

Go see the guys in Bothy Bikes in Aviemore for some route advice but beware of all the shinyness on display

jimster
    Free Member

Anyone recommend me a guidebook for the region?

marty
    Free Member

There are some good books (Kenny Wilson, McCandlish/Moore) out there, but they tend to cover huge chunks of Scotland so will only have ever have a few routes in your immediate area. This plus the local route guides that Bothy Bikes sell will sort you with a load of options.

jimster
    Free Member

Right, I’ll be up there in at the weekend – can’t wait, looks like there’s some real good riding to be had.

bigjim

Some lovely singletrack around loch morlich area, lots of trails have been covered in various magazines by that guy who’s name I forget but someone will know…

jimster
    Free Member

Gah!!!!!! Not more possibilities!!!!

Mrs has already dropped the “Your not going out on your bike everyday!?” hints at me already, by the sounds of it I may have too. 8)

jimster
    Free Member

Back and absolutely freaking fabulous – yes it rained most the time but had an absolute blast up there.

As someone here said, Bothy Bikes, very helpful indeed, popped over to Fort Will did the Champs Course and a bit of Ten Under course – both great fun.

And Laggan was on the doorstep!!!!

May well be taking my two week holiday on my own next year, well me and the dog. 8)

epicyclo

jimster – Member

Bit late, but the best guidebook for the Highlands is a load of OS maps and an enquiring mind 🙂

ymcwhirr
    Free Member

How about The Corrieyairack Pass? Goes from Laggan through to Fort Augustus? It’s an old General Wade military road. I’ve never done it, but the folks I know who have reckon it’s an epic day out.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘A Newtonmore question…’ is closed to new replies.