• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by nikk.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • A new one for me, mid ride brake pad contamination.
  • Klunk
    Free Member

Lovely long ride yesterday, half way round lose most of the braking on the rear. Lever is still very firm but virtually no braking at all, and a god awful howl. As i had recently bled them I’m thinking air in the system. So re-bleed today still the same. So pads on the cooker and the fine wet and dry to the disc and all better. Don’t remember riding through any oil slick, trails were bone dry and not very dusty. Anyone else had this, first for me in 8 yrs of using discs.

druidh
    Free Member

Are the piston seals still intact?

andyl
    Free Member

Jammed piston?

awh
    Free Member

I crashed and punctured the lowers of my forks causing suspension fluid to slowly seep out and onto my rotor which made my brakes howl. I hope it’s not that!

Klunk
    Free Member

no jammed pistons, no leaky seals and no fluid leaks.

monogramman
    Free Member

Do you put a small amount of grease on the back of your pads to eliminate squeak?

I,m also surprised at the amount of oil I see in puddles on my local trails, it must come from bikes as it can’t really get there any other way.

Klunk
    Free Member

Do you put a small amount of grease on the back of your pads to eliminate squeak?

no, as i don’t get squeak/noise normally.

martymac

did you ride through any peat bogs? oil content in peat.

d45yth
    Free Member

Too much oil on your chain? I bought a bike which is painted pale blue on the inside of the chainstays…I couldn’t believe all the spots of oil on there after a ride! I’ve since changed to a thicker lube.

Klunk
    Free Member

no peat bog, completely dry ride.

Klunk
    Free Member

possible for the chain i guess. i use r&r extreme but I always wipe it down with kitchen towl after application as per the instructions.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Sure it was oil contamination and not glazed pads? Do you favour the rear brake?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

klunk – I had a set of RS Revs that leaked out from the upper / stanchion seal. On a real long ride this wound its way down the lowers and some seemed to get onto the brakes and made them howl. Not terribly bad – but something I eventually got around to remembering to wipe off after a few hours.

Dunno if that’s your problem tho.

Klunk
    Free Member

it was on the rears, i don’t have to use them that much locally to favour the back or drag them I jsut tend use them when needed (though on a couple of downs I was dragging them deliberately to see if abit of friction would improve the situation, it didn’t). I guess it could be glazing but to go from instant skid to nothing just like that mid ride.

probably punishment for laughing at a trio of roadies fixing a puncture and suggesting that they should get some “proper” tyres.

nikk
    Free Member

How old are the calipers?

This happened to me, eventually found out it was the seals leaking. Would only happen under hard braking / squeeze. I only found out after a few months as I stopped at the t/lights and squeezed the brake and saw oil squirt.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘A new one for me, mid ride brake pad contamination.’ is closed to new replies.