• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • a longing for simpler times?
  • ton

full rigid bikes, canti or vee brakes, less maintenance, less tyre choice, less wheel sizes, less fashion, deore thumbies, water bottles, Dunlop green flash, dawes galaxy tourer offroading, yha ctc holidays.

sorry for reminding you of days past, but I long for em….. 😐

Houns

Jumpers for goalposts

RobHilton
    Free Member

The war?

Serfdom?

Plague?

vondally
    Free Member

the thwack of leather on willow with a pint of English ale in late may as the swallows arrive………….

not a great cricket fan nor retro tasticisms,

personally I love full suspension bikes with disc brakes, 29er tyres, still use water bottles, better tyres, shimano shifters

less fashion, well the 70s and 80s were awash with fashion and trendsetting, the 90s had lycra and grunge though not at the same time

fashion is what you make it …see £11.00 CRC Fly shorts thread,

sorry Ton I do not miss V brkaes nor 135mm stems or 72 degree headangles with rigid forks…………

digga
    Free Member

Jazz mags hidden in the hedges along public footpaths.

Rorschach
    Free Member

No.It was shit.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

mid life approaching ton?
    you know the best music was in the 80’s dontcha?

vondally
    Free Member

Jazz mags hidden in the hedges along public footpaths.

Charlie parker????
    Underground Jazz guerrillas??

did I miss that in the north ❓

nickjb
    Free Member

full rigid bikes, canti or vee brakes, less maintenance, less tyre choice, less wheel sizes, less fashion, deore thumbies, water bottles, Dunlop green flash, dawes galaxy tourer offroading, yha ctc holidays.

Totally disagree

I couldn’t wait to upgrade my rigid bike. When the first guy from our group turned up on a ride with bouncy forks I rode his bike about a 100 yards before knowing I was off to the shops the next day, full suss took a little longer. Cantis and Vees take way more maintenance than disks, Tyre choice is limited to what is on special offer, I still have the same wheel size as I have had for over 20 years of MTBing, still occasionally ride with a water bottle. Its as simple as you want to make it

ton

No.It was shit.

says mr ‘full rigid ss’er’……….. 😆

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ah yes, simpler times when teenagers got their pron fix from the top shelf “electric blue” collection in their local vhs rental shop….as opposed to the grot on offer just one click away 😀

I also miss the sound of a ford/British Leyland/DAF/Fiat owner cursing their luck every morning as they try to coax their car into life at the slightest hint of a frost…. 🙂

(happy days, seriously)

faustus

I mean this nicely: It’s up to you really, you can have any of the above if you like. You don’t have to engage in fashion or wheel sizes if you don’t want to, it’s your choice what and how you engage…join the Rough Stuff fellowship, buy all your stuff from SJS and knock yourself out! (Not criticising RSF or SJS, they’re great)

V-brakes and less maintenance don’t belong in the same sentence though…

hatter

The joy of the current cycling ‘scene’ is the sheer amount of choice.

If you want a 33-speed, full carbon wunder bike with electric this and adjustable that and a different set of wheels and tyres for every occasion then great, go for it.

If not, just build a single speed rigid, steel back-to-basics beastie with a set of all round treads and off you go.

It’s what you make of it, sacked off full suss a few years back and only came back this Autumn when I bough the Kili Flyer, now totally back into my trail; riding again and loving the bouncy life.

It’s what you make of it.

MoreCashThanDash

Did Electric Blue survive into the digital age? Must be a demographic now around 40 years old with a hankering for the good old days, willing to hand over their credit card details in return for disappointment…..

wors

Totally agree Tony

rone

Won’t there be a glut of second hand stuff like this somewhere – like ebay, or in most coal sheds? – fill your boots. However, as expressed above don’t long for these times across the board. Nostalgia treats memories too well.

I ride way more now as the kit as evolved to the point where excuses are zip.

ton

I ride way more now as the kit as evolved to the point where excuses are zip.

I have always ridden the same.
    same hill/trails/mountains as I did in the 80’s on a full rigid canti clad bike.
    the lakes/dales/wales/wherever have not got any bigger/steeper/rougher.

Solo
    Free Member

BillOddie

full rigid bikes – still ace
    canti or vee brakes, – shit, disc brakes are the best thing to ever happen to MTBing.
    less maintenance, – wrong
    less tyre choice, – shit
    less wheel sizes, – meh
    less fashion, – wrong (bula hats, vision street wear, etc etc)
    deore thumbies, – ace
    water bottles, – still ace
    Dunlop green flash, – shit
    dawes galaxy tourer offroading, – stupid
    yha ctc holidays. – meh

Rubber_Buccaneer

Remind me how much a set of Grafton cantilever brakes cost, I’m not sure I want to go back 😯

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nostalgia, it ain’t what it used to be.

I’ve got little time for it frankly, it’s so much rose tinted bullshit – there’s very, very little from the past that isn’t available today, but the huge, vast majority of people don’t care – because progress is almost always positive.

Solo
    Free Member

a longing for simpler times?

Back then, time seemed to pass at a slower rate, or at least none of us were in that much of a hurry.
    Many folk of a certain age, seem to have a predisposition to remember the best things about yesterday. Whether we were born that way or whether that’s a result of growing older, I’m not sure.

Hey, you know, everybody’s talkin’ about the good old days, right
    Everybody, the good old days, the good old days
    Well, let’s talk about the good old days.
    Oh, why does it seem the past is always better
    We look back and think
    The winters were warmer
    The grass was greener
    The skies were bluer
    And smiles were bright

munrobiker
    Free Member

This. This was the last time bikes were capable of doing all the riding I want to the way I want to whilst still being compatible with almost every spare part on the market and cost less than £2k. Before this bikes didn’t really have enough travel and were a bit scary- they could manage but they weren’t as much fun. Since this standards have gone mental and it’s all too complicated.

Solo
    Free Member

Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

Remind me how much a set of Grafton cantilever brakes cost, I’m not sure I want to go back

You appear to unintentionally make a good point. You see, back then, most probably couldn’t afford such kit, but it didn’t stop us getting on with doing what we enjoyed. Extrapolate that attitude and you find that in certain circles, it’s cool to ride old equipment and still arrive in one piece.
    😉

atlaz
    Free Member

sorry for reminding you of days past, but I long for em….. 😐

Surely you can have most of that. Sell all your non-compliant stuff and fill your boots on ebay. It’ll be 1985 before you know it.

scuttler

Them Ever Ready lights. Frankly there’s the biggest evolution right there. I could ride a bike with V-brakes and a 150mm stem but I’d be damned if I could ride in the dark with those things with battery acid all up the insides.

Progress.

P-Jay
    Free Member

@munrobiker

See, I owned of that’s bikes ‘kids’ a 2006 Enduro – it also did everything I wanted it to do in the way I wanted it to do and all those other things you mentioned it was a BRILLIANT bike and even though it was ‘triggers broom’ when I finally gave it up, I loved it – I kept it for 5 years, and it was pretty much my only bike for those years aside from a couple of DH bikes I rarely rode.

I was genuinely sad to see it go but I got a bit fed up of how it climbed, it was very worn out – nothing that couldn’t be fixed with a bit of TLC but lots of little jobs sort of arrived at the same time so it went and I bought a Lapierre Spicy 516 – to be fair not an all time classic – but the change was night and day, climbed better, turned a LOT faster despite a much slacker head angle, was faster over the rough stuff – oh and you could drop the forks without smashing your pedals on every stroke – there was nothing that my Spesh did that the Lapierre didn’t do better – and most importantly forgetting all the ‘on paper’ factors – it was more fun to ride, the extra ability filled in more of the gaps between the fast stuff and slow stuff and gave more of that illusive stuff – flow.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘a longing for simpler times?’ is closed to new replies.