Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • A (long) write up of my "SDW in a day" ride…
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Nice write up..

DrP

GPXs as promised…think you just right click and save as…

SDW1
    SDW2
    SDW3
    SDW4
    SDW whole route

DrP

trevron73
    Free Member

Im doing the SDW this Saturday,thanks for the write up ,made me laugh about the 5 cables ,i’ve only got 4 so i’ll wonder why im not as well endowed.I am doing the ride at night so i reckon i’ll go mental contemplating what i could be doing in 4c cold at 1am, rather than cycling up and up and up and then getting arm pump from the brakes as ill be too scared to go fast on the decents.

weeksy

Hey Trev, i’ll be with you mate 🙂

Dr P, i experienced the same moments of depression as yourself, which is weird as it’s not something that would normally afflict me. Mine was just up the road bit after where you cross a big road (BP station about 200m down the hill), we were doing from Eastbourne to Winchester though.

Cracking write up mate.

If only i could work out where them damn taps are in the dark… .any ideas for someone without a GPS ?

flange
    Free Member

Dr P – brilliant write up and proper inspiring stuff, nice one

I’m planning on doing it towards the end of October – will mean doing a fair bit of it in the dark/cold but I’ll have done D2D by then so cold/dark/wet won’t be a concern.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Great write up DrP. I have done it a few times but never in a day. You just convinced me I never ever want to do it in less than 48 hours 🙂

MrAgreeable

Good write-up and good effort. I’ve ridden most of it, but at a more leisurely pace, carrying camping gear. It’s definitely one to do on a glorious sunny day, the views are awesome.

One bad point came when we descended off the ridge in search of lunch, based on the OS map saying there was a pub in Cocking. It turned out there was, but it was completely shuttered up, with a “for sale” sign, and a “reduced” sign. The village shop came to our rescue, and the phrase “Cocking pub” is now part of our ride vocabulary. As in: “Are you sure that’s not a Cocking pub?”

racefaceec90

fantastic write up 😀
    it’s been a fair while since i last did a long distance ride,but would like to try and ride my bike more often.as i live in wiltshire (no car) i would like to ride the ridgeway instead (footpaths excepted though/would like to attempt both directions in one go).
    i will do this (one day 😉

Clong
    Free Member

First time i did it, i set off with just a cheese sandwich in my camel back. Completed it after 14 hours and i swear the last couple of climbs i went up on my hands and knees. I was a bit naive, my mentality was “its just a long ride how hard can it be?”.

singletrackmind

Weeksy
    Some good info on the SouthDownsDouble website re the taps.

Its the Maxx Exposure event on Sat Night too , 8pm start from Eastbourne to QECP , so lots of nice high viz signs.

Potential for a fair bit of precipitation im afraid as well

weeksy

If that’s the case i’ll be at home with the wife watching Sky Sports 🙂

p.s Yes i know it is, that’s what i’m doing lol

Viewing 11 posts - 41 through 51 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘A (long) write up of my "SDW in a day" ride…’ is closed to new replies.