Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • A London pootle with a difference – London to Brighton
  • psychle
    Free Member

So yesterday I decided to ride from my house (in Islington) to Brighton Pier for some fish and chips, going as much 'offroad' as I could. The plan was to follow the route set out by Rough Ride Guide, basically the Number 4 cycle route down to Richmond Park and along the the Thames, then join the Wey Navigations down to Guildford and finally onto the Downs Link to get to the coast. Total ride was planned to be around 140-145km or so…

That was the plan… however, in the end, I set off too late and with inadequate water (especially considering how hot it was, the 3lt in my camelbak was never going to be enough!) so by the time I got to Guildford it was 5:30pm (3.5 hours riding with 1 hour added for a mechanical issue) and I was feeling absolutely cooked and dehydrated… so I decided to bail there and get the train back to Waterloo. All in for the day I managed 90km in 4 hours or so of riding which wasn't too bad an effort (I think anyway, given my current level of fitness!)

I'll be giving this another go the next decent day (ie. not raining), this time setting off earlier and with more food and water 🙂 If anyone in London town is keen to join me, let me know, happy to have company 🙂 Here are some pics to show you the scenery…

The deer of Richmond Park

Lovely river barge setup

Hampton Court Palace

Some cricketers, hopefully having a better game then the English team!

The Weir pub, nice refreshing pint was had here

Swans…

Wey River Navigations, at last!

Kayakers, looked like the were having a great time running the weir… and check out those apartments, I'd love to live there!

Curious looking old dude on bridge…

Dragon Fly wood carving in Guildford

Guildford itself… lovely looking place.

psychle
    Free Member

Not that interesting a report to the STW collective? I know it's not very GNAR, but it is a nice challenging ride in it's own way… 😀

IsaacClarke
    Free Member

I'm up for this!

I spotted your invitation thread earlier – but wasn't sure what my plans were.

Currently in West London, but used to Live in Surbiton, so it'd be fun to see Richmond Park/Thames etc

Might even bring the rigid Tinbred, with Panniers for supplies!

Rick

psychle
    Free Member

Hi Rick, excellent, glad to hear someone else is keen 🙂 Not sure when I'll be giving it another go, do you have any dates/days that suit you better?

Buzzard
    Free Member

Awesome photos and short report.

Ive done this route twice now from my house in Earlsfield. Down to Putney, then along the towpath (sometimes picking up a mate or two in Guildford) all the way down the North Downs link to the SDW. Then on the road to Hurstpierpoint and on to Cuckfield where my inlaws are. All in all its about 130km for me and a great day out. I take a 3l bladder and a bottle on the bike. I find that I have to stop in Cranleigh for a re-supply. Its an epic especially if its muddy.

psychle
    Free Member

Thanks Buzzard, all pics taken on my little Sony camera phone (K800i, actually does a pretty good job apart from the flare and low-contrast). Heading out from Earlsfield would save you some kilometres, it's around an extra 20-25km for me from Islington 🙂

GDRS

Its a good day out in the summer – did the Ldn to Brigton BHF offroad last year.

Thought it would be the easy flat spin to Guilford along the wey – instead it took a 'diverted' route from Weybridge to Wisley – over the A3 and across an old airfield. We avoided Guildford – ending up on the North Downs near Newlands Corner. A little road – but mostly bridleway.

Not too sure of the route – but I made a note on on the route cards they gave us. Certainly added bite to the day.

Anyway I am signed up again for the BHF ride this year with some guys from work – and we are going to have a crack at beating the £4K we raised last year.

kimbers

4 girls i know did lands end to john o groats in 46 hrs this weekend
    (well i know one of them)

so you should feel shame!

interview b4 the ride

psychle
    Free Member

dang… now that's a ride! I feel embarrassed indeed 😳

kimbers

its ok she is waaay fitter than ill ever be

that said if you are planning another off road london to brighton id be interested!

Drac

One big ride planned there good luck with the next one and why worry about the water they'll be loads of places to fill up.

psychle
    Free Member

why worry about the water they'll be loads of places to fill up.

Not that I found actually (though tbh I didn't look that diligently…) also, as I was riding by myself I wasn't able to stop and fill up at the pubs I passed on the way (wasn't game to leave my bike unattended!) Will be better with a few more people 🙂

Drac

Pubs, Cafes, Shop and farms will gladly oblige I've found.

njee20
    Free Member

There are a few pubs on the Downs link (it links the Downs, it's not called the North Downs link, or the South Downs link), so as long as they're obliging you're fine, there's no taps or owt.

mudshark
    Free Member

I'm interested though live in Surrey so would join towards Guildford.

psychle
    Free Member

Mudshark, why not catch the train up to London and do the whole thing with us? 🙂 When are you available?

vinnyeh

there's quite a few places to top up water etc within a few hundred yards of the downslink at various points- runs past a supermarket iirc.

The first few miles of the downslink from St Martha's Hill aren't much fun if it's dry- it's like cycling on a dry sandy beach at times. I've had to push the bike downhill there before. And if you're doing an out and back then it can be absolute hell when you get there on the return trip.

Would probably be a good social ride though. I've only ever done London-South Downs by myself and it's mindnumbing without company.

senorj

Good effort. Like GDRS i did the bhf offroad ride last year.
    The diversion away from Guilford is worth it and makes it more interesting.
    I live in East Finchley and would be interested next time if convenient
    with work and the like.
    If you want to have a pootle around Epping before(just to make sure i'm not a nutter :-))then mail me.

J.

duntmatter
    Free Member

This all sounds great. I'll come if I can make it.

tonto
    Free Member

I'm keen too. When, when when?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘A London pootle with a difference – London to Brighton’ is closed to new replies.