Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • A little planning advice if you please..
  • stevied
    Free Member

Looking at a potential new (old Georgian) house and hoping to sell part of the land to the F-in-L as he wants a place down here as he lives ‘up North’ for holidays/visiting etc.
    The place we are looking at has a pretty big garden, approx 27m between the back of the house and end of the plot. There’s 27m at the front too and the total plot is about 24m wide.
    Currently 3 outbuildings/stables on the rear piece of land (currently used as a carpark/yard) and a brick wall down one side of the house (with a non-private side road running along the wall).
    What we’d like to do is divide the rear land to sell to F-in-L and put an access point in from the side road (through the wall).
    The rear garden is overlooked by a new build which is part of a 5-6 house development.
    Can it be a major ball-ache getting planning to add an access off a normal side road?
    And, I’m guessing, as there are already solid structures on the land we shouldn’t have too many problems getting planning for a small new build (possibly eco/kit home)?

fionap

If you want a ‘granny annexe’ where the use is conditioned to be restricted to ‘purposes ancillary to the main dwelling’ and for family/non-paying guest use only, then it should be relatively easy to get permission.
    If you want a completely separate dwelling (implied by the separate land ownership) then it will be slightly more effort. Whether it is easy or not depends on whether you are inside the settlement development boundary.
    If the property is listed or within a conservation area there will be further restrictions.
    The existing structures are basically irrelevant.

Adding a new access point depends on proximity to other junctions, visibility splays on road, whether that road is classified or not (e.g. A/B/non) etc.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I’d suggest a chat with your local council planning department.

br
    Free Member

We’re converting an outbuilding into a granny annex for my folks, a part of the planning restrictions are that it can’t be a separate building nor be sold separately.

We could probably have got permission, but it would’ve cost time/effort and we don’t need it.

A benefit though is that there is no extra council tax, free TV licence (over 75’s) and all on the same services (savings in installation and ongoing).

Obvious downside is we can’t sell it as a separate building.

stevied
    Free Member

The idea with the separate land would be that we sell the land (and getting it registered) to give is the funds to do the renovations.
    Will see if the planning office do drop in clinics (they used to)

v666ern
    Free Member

stevied,

depending on the size of your plot and location there is potential for doing it under permitted development as an office/gym and then forcing it through planning with a lawful development cert after as ‘its essentially a bungalow so let us use it as a bungalow’. I know this as my neighbour used this. 😡

My professional opinion – speak to your neighbours first, this creates a lot of bad blood if nobody but you wants it. increase in traffic, noise from construction etc.

The planningportal has an interactive section which is useful.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘A little planning advice if you please..’ is closed to new replies.