Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • A little OT: Learning to learn again.
    Free Member

I want to brush up my programming skills are the last time I did anything like, it was around 10yrs ago (and that was pascal)

So, I've decided to look at "Processing" the java-esq language for people who aren't programmers as the results are pretty visual, and the visual side of it is quite appealing too.

I am very much a hands-on type learner but it seems a little difficult to get into the right frame of mind to absorb the info, or do I just persevere?

Hope this makes sense to someone and any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
    Jonathan

Free Member

Anyone?

fubar
    Free Member

I'd start with a commercial language from the off…I'd go Java or C# (look at the free microsoft express editions…this comes with some great labs / getting started examples).

For me there has to be an objective to learning…either an exam or an application….perhaps set yourself a project you would like to complete or after getting started consider looking at the exam paths in your chosen language.

p.s. I've used the Dummies books before…a great way to get started in my opinion

mogrim

+1 fubar, I'd just start off with a Teach Yourself type book for Java, or even the 100% free Sun tutorial. (C# probably has similar stuff, but I'm a Java programmer…)

The main thing, for me at least, is to actually build something – learning for learning's sake is far too hard.

As a cyclist I'd suggest a training log, it's easy to understand conceptually, and has enough scope to be interesting. It's also potentially useful:

* start off with a command line version
    * download mysql / oracle xe / sql server and add in a database
    * install tomcat (or similar) and make it web based
    * jchart, add in some graphics.
    * file upload for maps
    * etc.

Flaperon

I also agree with Fubar – you need to have something in the back of your mind to work towards while you're learning. I suggest an iterative approach. Make the first version quickly, roughly, find out how the IDE works and begin to learn the syntax.

Then do another version but building on what you learned the first time. Etc. Strongly recommend the Express edition of C#. If you're at uni, you can get the full version of Visual Studio for free.

Most importantly – you really need to have your head around the idea of object oriented programming before you begin.

ampthill

I learnt some visual basic as a fun taste of object orianted programming. Its whats taught in my college. The non compiling version is free

yes you need an objective

I made a line of red dots act like a wave with slders to change amplitude and wave length. A handy tool for a physivs teacher

I was told the Java learning curve was steeper

Free Member

Hmm, think this is the problem – it was learning for learning's sake. (and my understanding that learning a language, be that spoken or computer keeps a certain part of the grey matter active and helps with keeping the mind switched on and active.

thanks for the help chaps,
    Jonathan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘A little OT: Learning to learn again.’ is closed to new replies.